Funding for MaidSafe company - update

I think there’s a always going to be opportunities for people who are willing to spend their time doing the things that we can all see would help. Regardless of skills.

Iagree it will help to lower the barrier, but identifying needs isn’t really what we’re lacking, it is getting stuck in and working on things - such as lowering the barrier for others. That’s part of what I do in the areas I work on, and it’s fun when I can help someone else contribute, or just learn.

It is completely normal for humans to prefer talking rather than doing. One is easier, and can be fit around other commitments, so it is natural that people focus on that - many are just too busy or tired from everything else they do, others just want to chat and feel part of something they value (which does have value too), and some don’t have the confidence to step forward.

I’m not one to organise others or set up structures and so on. I have the time and the inclination to help, but I always focus on what I enjoy, which is generally also useful to the project. At least so far it seems to work out that way, but that is in part because I enjoy feeling that I’m helping the project. Win win :slight_smile:

So to anyone not sure how to help, but wants to put some time and effort in, I say please let us know, ask for help you might need, say what you might want to learn about or work on etc.

6 Likes

100% this is the route we have chosen and I do think we follow it well. Up sleeve to up sleeve tricks @opacey is a bit unfair. I am very open but surely you are not asking for every incomplete thought to be posted here before even the teams working on it hear and discuss it are you? I would quite rightly have a revolution on my hands and in football terms I would lose the changing room.

The push you now see in project planning, rfcs and soon deliverables is a non stop incredibly focussed effort with barely room for me to let all the teams know. This is push 100% and I don’t have time to reveal all to everyone at every second, I know you feel like I should, but it is not possible. Weekly we lay out what we can in a reasonable way. That is as much as we can do, but we also release posts, comments and lots of answers to queries throughout each day. I believe we do a good job of communicating with this community and marketing and outreach when armed with all of the RFC,s, plans and deliverables can take the message further.

I am not sure, but I don’t believe there is another founder who does convey as much as I do publicly (and get slaughtered for it) or answer as many questions, but I hope there is, I just don’t know, but if any do more then I am all ears :wink: Some staff hate when I am posting so much, some investors or token holders hate I don’t post more so the balance is possibly right :smiley: :smiley:

23 Likes

@happybeing, I am sorry, my comments are addressed to the community, or better, to MaidSafe actually, trying to suggest how to lower the barrier I personally experience. (Just learning to use this forum by making mistakes.)
I think for the kind of people on this forum, any pontification is mostly the result of restrictions and limitations, certainly not laziness or trying to get others to do work for them.
I agree that volunteering should be fun in general. But it does not need to be. For example, when it is furthering a noble goal such as building a new free Internet.
I may start a community wiki if there is none, and use it as my notebookst at first.

3 Likes

“up-sleeve tricks” wasn’t meant in a derogatory way, I was just echoing your own phrase “some tricks up our sleeve”.

I look forward to hearing a paragraph or two this Thursday.

2 Likes

Yep us investors would like to set up cameras and mics in your office we can tune into at any time

1 Like

The example that came to mind for me is Ethereum 2.0 (the effort to transition to a sharded proof of stake design). In their case, the model is to produce a spec, which different teams then go and implement. The design is similarly broken into stages such that complexity grows over time. I think there are something like 8 teams implementing clients now, but it isn’t really a great example because some (all?) of the teams receive grants from the Ethereum Foundation.

This has always been enough assurance for me, anyone expecting more from David is being unreasonable.

14 Likes

Is it weird I had imagery of if the company somehow did collapse(I firmly believe they are going to push through and deliver) then the weekly dev updates turn into David posting about himself and what he did all week in the 3rd person :laughing: . And that the “meet the dev” interviews we see would digress into just like him talking to himself in a mirror holding up a cell phone to record himself for us on a monthly basis with youtube uploads. MaidSafe would slowly become “that crazy cult decentralized project run by that one Scottish nutjob :grin:

Too bad they will deliver an MVP and that won’t become the reality haha, but the non-investor/non-humanitarian part of me would not mind seeing it (as the coin value would crash to earths core and I don’t like seeing people out of work) .

6 Likes

All ready for island life (soay means island sheep). Small and hardy, like someone I know :grimacing:

Soay sheep - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Hi @dirvine, did you give any update on what these tricks are in yesterday’s report? Unless I missed something I don’t think they were in there. If we have to wait for a more formal announcement, could you just give us a paragraph or two explain what they are about? It seems they are significant aspects of the plan or you probably wouldn’t have mentioned them.

Finally something I can and will participate! :grin:

1 Like

Let him work huh. Try back next week. If he was ready to say more he would have.

16 Likes

Full ACK.

There might have been times where it was more reasonable to be a little bit more pushy. E.g. when the progress seemed to be stagnating (most likely because of less transparency) but now we have a ton of visible progress on key parts of the project, a pretty clear plan of all the big parts left and soon even
more detailed subtasks for these parts. David even got to the point to name a timeframe in which we can expect some considerable progress on these parts. In my opinion now is the time for us to let them do their work and try to support them as good as we can.

My feeling is that some people here (don’t want to name anyone), which are getting overly nervous have invested an unhealthy amount into MAID/Maidsafe (more than they could easily afford to loose). To those people I can just advise, please reduce your exposure, seriously. It will allow you to relax and give you the ability to give the team members some peace (e.g. maybe not bugging them 24/7 about each minor phrase they said).

18 Likes

Every week you should be seeing the results of what we are doing. How we achieve that is from our bag of tricks and a focused team facing the same direction. This focus and direction are improving weekly, where we will show even more progress and yes we will show the road ahead more clearly. The “tricks” are enabling all of this to happen, I prefer to refer to those “tricks” as management though. It’s hard to define each step of that, but I think we do kinda well in being open about our style. I am not sure what you specifically are asking for, surely results are what you want and I hope that is clearly visible right now ;–)

12 Likes

Another 2 months and you will have your answer. It will either be good news or bad news. Patience is a virtue. I’m bloody surprised DIrvine even said what he said. He must have been on the scotch

4 Likes

I see it as you can make moves on the dance floor so I support you.; but if you think I owe you anything you are wrong and I will gladfly support the younger upstarart oiver you

Are you pulling an all-nighter?

3 Likes

Maybe asleep now, after Eating a lot of pasta.

3 Likes

Abso-smurfly correct … this is the most open and community oriented crypto-
project that I know of – hands down.

Too funny.

IMO the ones in the forum pushing for more details are traders not hodlers. they are looking for a way to profit day to day not to profit long term. Hence any bit of info they can squeeze out of Maidsafe employees or especially David himself is worth the effort. I’m not being derogatory toward traders - they are needed participants in the marketplace - they set the prices and they need information to do so. But they will play dirty to get it so watch out and do not let them make you feel obligated to let unformed internal discussions slip out through the keyboard.

9 Likes

Am a hodler but it doesn’t mean the daily/weekly/monthly gyrations are not meaningful. Had you sold your MAID in Dec17 and bought a couple months ago you would now have at least 8x as many. I bought a load after the Kaiser Report interview and never sold. How’s that for hodling?

3 Likes