Fresh safecoins from farmers

Although if you don’t have it, then I suspect it would be more likely for darkweb materials to end up being snuck into the non-darkweb zones.

If there is an darkweb tld it’s quite likely that a darkweb content creator will use it. If you don’t then they will go where-ever they suspect they can have the most traffic.

I suppose where I was going there was more some level of veto right for the Elders, or otherwise network level support wouldn’t make sense anyway since you’d foundamentally revert to the app-level solution.
At the same time this would crate a potential promiscuity between network and app level, and I’m not sure about the implications of that :thinking:

1 Like

Would not be possible. Non-darkweb zones would be administered by ICANN or similar organisations, that could track down individuals.

We do need the ICANN or MAID rubber-stamped registration for the corporate world…

We do need to

1). Provide for corporate entities, to have stable domains on a rubber-stamped plugin for their marketing departments.
2) but also provide the ability for the rest of us to create resolver plugins, and register domains of any type on any other plugins… anonymously.

Might have to reach out to ICANN, might need to put 2 default “clear-SAFENet” resolver plugins in the browser for the general population.
The rest of us “hackers” can pick and choose from what ever resolver we want.

The MAIDSAFE foundation has an opertunity to make some money here - sell a licence for e period of time to a domain registration company as a default plugin on the official browser? Then some licences for plugins to be available as a choice on a list.

Thing is… I see a future where Google release their own safe browser with their own domain lookup as default.

None of this will happen… We already have 100% foresight on this… from the past 8 years of bitcoin.

If ANY of today’s dinosaur privacy-hating companies see any benefit to the SAFE network… well what did any of those companies do with “blockchain” technology…?

There will be 2,000~ forks of the SAFE network with anonymity ripped out and other things added to have centralized control… AS MUCH AS IT MAKES ZERO SENSE I KNOW… but like I said, we already have 100% foresight on how the first few YEARS of SAFE network live will play out… 100%

1 Like

We need to make it really easy for people to make their own “coins” on SAFENet.

We have already had a demonstration of a wallet with coins.

On launch we need to have SAfECoin ready, but we should probably have many other community coins, hopefully backing services on SAFENet so that people will find it easier to build their great money making coin ideas on the SAFEnetwork … instead of just cloning SAFEnetwork.

Decorum coin is one of them.

I’m hoping JAMS is one of many ‘comercial’ closed source killer app services that can’t be cloned. Let people clone the SAFENet – but if we have the JAMS, the githubs ---- all these ready and running. Why would anyone ever farm on a second rate scammy clone of SAFENet?

People are used to buying a gateway coin like bitcoin to access altcoins, I think with a fertile and entrepenour enabling environment like SAFEnetwork, people will buy SAfECoin to access altcoins on the SAFENet. SAfECoin will always be needed for core network operations, but I do see other coins (still holding out for gamerbits - LOL) created on the SAFEnetwork trading on exchanges. People just need to get in quick with their ideas in the SAFENet.

Creating coins doesn’t have to be a static event either, project could spring up and ‘mine’ altcoins.

Here’s one idea I just thought up.

Open Safe Maps
≠=============

Mapping streets is a difficult problem, at one point Google released a gameificated application that insentivised people to walk paths.

My coin, MapCoin, is a coin available on the SAFEnetwork. It is earned by a SAFENet powered app on your mobile, you earn MapCoin by walking GPS routes that are new or either confirmed. The exact algorithm is secret and runs on the networks compute. The algorithm ensures that routes that are seem more legitimate receive a payout.

MapCoin can be used to unlock further services on the application, step counts, advanced route finding, advert placement on the map for your business, and many more! MapCoin is tradable on many exchanges.

Don’t delay, download the MapCoin SAFEApp/Dapper today and start earning map coins.

=========

There… One plausible business model for a completely different coin running on SAFENet.

I’m sure there are many more coin ideas.

3 Likes

Why does anyone do anything? control… control of power and control of money. Big buisness would rather have their own safe fork with their choice of how much money there is, who starts off with the most of it, THEIR OWN DOMAIN NAMES reserved, etc etc etc… it’s nice to think safenet will be the end all be all, but i’ll say it a hundred more times, we’ve had so much evidence of the entire blockchain revolution, theres no reason on earth to think it wont play out any differently with safenet.

There may be attempts. We have seen that with bitcoin.

… But no altcoins has usurped bitcoin.

I see the same playing out with SAFECoin, some cheeky attempted clones - but SAFECoin and it’s internal altcoins will be at the top.

1 Like

JAMS will eventually be open source so that others in the community can hopefully engage, contribute, and fork for similar projects. It’s already on track to be much more than just a simple music storage/player, as shown with the demo. For example it could easily be forked and altered quite minimally into a video platform which I would love to see. I think in the end it provides more benefit to be open source there.

!!!WARNING SPOILERS!!!

There will also eventually be another app working in conjunction with JAMS to improve the service and hopefully legitimize it more as a streaming platform that empowers real artists. I think our ideas, our passion, and hopefully our own future community will make sure we pull through as one of SAFE’s first killer apps. :slightly_smiling_face:
This app will be closed source besides a few special libraries and likely be an artist owned co-op model (shared PtD). JAMS will be a for profit app (just PtD, no skimming or subscriptions) and benefit from the second app for a few reasons. Gonna be sweet.

12 Likes

Well, no-one has taken over bitcoin, but you’re right that the big corporations will certainly want to produce their own competing versions. Watch out for Facebook coin coming soon. What’s most likely is that a Google or Amazon could fork the code and add a proprietary layer, like Google did with Android, to lock people into their version, and they’d certainly have the clout and the numbers to create a big network quickly. I wonder if it’s possible to stop this happening by licensing certain parts of the codebase under more restrictive terms?

I really hate the idea of domain ownership being non-transferable. What if your private keys gets compromised and you need to move it to a new account? You can’t expect every single person to secure their keys perfectly when they are just starting out. A website might start small and suddenly turn into a big business - but when it’s small, security is down-prioritized. It will have to continue with possibly compromised keys and no way to fix that.

Another issue is that the owner of the domain dies and the domain ends up in a zombie state. There will be a huge graveyard of domains after a while. The result is that people will have to use longer and longer domains as time passes. What if you want to sell your business? You own “dell” domain and new owner can’t buy it ? The new owner need to change to “dell2” ? then that owner dies or loses access to private key and it must launch dell3? Is that how this is going to work? This is a horrible idea and also extremely unfriendly for users and anyone trying to launch a long lasting business.

Domains should be transferable and also expire. But to avoid massive domain squatting there should be a fair auction on launch for premium domains.

6 Likes

There was talk some time ago that the ownership of the AD holding the name registration could be transferred to another ID. This I believe is essential.

2 Likes

If user A buys: safe://payment.com
And malicious user B buys: safe://secure.payment.com
average people will think of the two safe websites as the same owner/trust in my opinion.

If I am correct this couldn’t be a different user as proposed in the RFC atm:

safe://<subName>.<subName>.<subName>.<subName>.<publicName>

->everything ending with .com is from the same owner (public name).

But other naming systems could be created with other rules.
One could be, like I posted earlier, that has as goal to only allow url’s that exist on the clearnet and proof it with something like Let’s Encrypt.
For example a Chinese restaurant ports its website to the Safe Network. They put the Safe Xor address of the ported website somewhere on their site: https://goldendragon.be and let the ‘cnp://’ (ClearNet Port) naming system know this, so that it/they can validate that the restaurant indeed owns https://goldendragon.be and if ok they link cnp://goldendragon.be to the given Safe Xor address. Or even change it, if the restaurant just bought this site from someone else, who also ported to cnp://goldendragon.be. The owner of https://goldendragon.info can do the same.
This has disadvantages of course, but the advantages: there is validation that https://goldendragon.be and cnp://goldendragon.be have the same owner with a method that is proven (for a large part), familiarity, and if they are lucky the restaurant doesn’t has to change it’s menu card where there is printed ‘online: goldendragon.be’ :smile:
Maybe something like this isn’t worth it. It could be enough that on the clearnet site there is a link to the Safe site.

Ps: Rotten Safecoins is for example to give the last Game Of Thrones season the appropriate review score? :wink:

3 Likes

Only vaguely related point perhaps, but I can’t help thinking it reading through this post - the goal of popularising the network among ordinary internet user types is often repeated, with people quick to (rightly) point out that it won’t be some fancy technological innovation under the hood that gets the average user excited, but rather a smooth and pretty and fun app in this quirky new digital world that your cousin’s boyfriend’s uncle told you about, called JAMS, as an example. Or some eye-catching unexpectedly possible functionality which shocks people and arouses their curiosity, of which there are many.

What we’re really talking about when we mention this fact is utility and trust; the network needs to have real utility and be trustworthy, i.e. you save some data or stream a show and then each time you come back you see it’s still there safe and sound, trust increases, happy user, network spreads.

So I just wanted to point out a perhaps underestimated function of this lovely forum, which is starkly visible in this post: every argument, debate, heated exchange, where you all manage to express yourselves and listen to the other participants and perhaps even manage to come out of it having either learned something or shaken off some bad idea, is a push in the right direction, as trust increases and we all become just a little bit more emotionally involved. Maybe even especially so in the case of extra hot arguments which crop up now and again and which inevitably get worked through steadily and often with great patience and care.

This is the final stage of a user’s journey to becoming genuinely ‘part’ of the network, after passing through varying levels of disbelief, shock, confusion, curiosity, learning, questioning, doubting, more questioning, leading to a gradual building of trust and eventually a sense of investment and belonging and even mild fondness. (Ok I’m getting soppy now).

Reading through this then and seeing the amount of emotion felt about certain aspects of the network and the time people are willing to put into the details here on the forum leaves me feeling extremely excited and confident about the project on this sunny Sunday :slight_smile:

I could blather on about the network effect of all these wonderful footsoldiers (literally in @Dimitar’s case) telling their aunties about the network leading up to launch, or all the crazy content and perspectives already to be expected popping up all over the place post-launch, but I’ll leave it up to your imaginations (and resist the temptation to spend even more time off topic).

11 Likes

I still suspect that there will be an overlay for name resolution which is in addition to raw addresses and standard names. I think market forces will ensure it.

However, I don’t think this is a bad thing. It reminds me of having a gmail address vs your own domain address. For most people bob.smith123@gmail.com is free and good enough. Businesses may want bob.smith@widget.com or whatever though. Both resolve to some place and both are useful.

1 Like

I vote no to this proposal because with my rural internet farming will not be feasible. I still want to support the farmers by purchasing their “produce.” If you did this I would be excluded from being able to do the fresh only operations unless I found a farmer I could pay to farm to my wallet for a little bit. I mean I would love to do some farming myself but I can’t really. Does this mean I am now a second class citizen? Well I guess not really cause I will be going into launch with a massive bag of maidsafecoin. So it’s more the opposite for me and I would be like a baron of domain names. More thinking of people in my situation that find out about the safe network AFTER launch.

The irony is not lost on me that living in farm country will make it hard to be a farmer in this ecosystem :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For example your “address book” will be a likely top level name resolution the browser will use

Not exactly, the way I was proposing to solve the squatting issue can be done even without the fresh coins idea, with the other idea of simply having a non-transferable data type, so that can be treated totally separately. As per creation of accounts, I don’t think there is a problem with an uncontrolled creation of them, they will be paid for so that’s ok, but I thought that if that can be done only with fresh coins then it would encourage users to become farmers rathre than simply buying them from others.

Without this proposal, to create an account, if you are not a farmer you need to either buy safecoins from someone else, or buy madisafecoins. With this proposal you’d need to buy maidsafecoins or safecoins from farmers (this is what @andyypants is pointing he doesn’t like).

I was and am trying to see how possible it is to have the maidsafecoins conversion to be the one regulating the farming rate when kick-starting the network, while keeping a high incentive for farmers even after maidsafecoins were all transferred. But as everyone here, I agree this needs much more exploration and thinking, although I’d love to hear more of why a dual coin is such a bad idea, don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make that the main goal of all this at all, but it still would be good to understand and learn more about the consequences, thoughts?

1 Like

oh you could buy the safe coins from the farmers without some kind of arrangement of paying them to farm to your wallet? I was under the impression once they moved from the farmers wallet they were no longer fresh. If that is the case then I would at least not say no flat out to this idea. A dual coin is not an inherently bad idea IMO. Well I say that as a person that usually has several cryptocurrencies at any given time. I don’t think it would be that confusing to a layman though

1 Like

It was in the original post, but since that has issues with fungibility then I mentioned that we can consider it as part of the proposal

So that basically implies you have two coins, one which is for special operations like creating accounts, and the second one for the rest, while being able to exchange them only in one direction from fresh → non-fresh only.

so yes, that could be possible

1 Like

@bochaco, there are some very important points in other posts that need addressing

3 Likes