Forum Category for different languages

Hi everyone,

a discussion was started in this topic after we had several replies from one of our Chinese friends. We got several suggestions for a category supporting different languages.

What do we all think??

3 Likes

This forum can’t be all things to all people - for now we have to do what we can, and in time other forums will handle this and other deficiencies. Maybe one day we’ll have enough foreign language speakers here to provide a more multilingual forum, but for now we would find it impossible to moderate foreign language discussions and that’s a concern. This is one reason why mods tend to ask people only to post in English.

I’m not convinced having categories for other languages is practical until we have more speakers of a given language who can help out - or at least one mod who is able to manage that section. So maybe that’s the first step?

5 Likes

This is a perfect idea, please implement it.

And I’m sure we’ll find people to moderate it once it grows large enough to require that! But there’s no need to moderate it until it grows!

AND IT CAN’T START TO GROW UNLESS WE GET IT STARTED SO LET’S PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS ASAP

1 Like

This is a possible option.

It is a plugin that translates individual posts.
it uses the Microsoft Translator API (free for up to 2M characters a month)…

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-translator/raw/master/example.gif

3 Likes

Hello folks.
I’m really interested about contribution opportunities with Spanish translations and/or content creation. I understand that this is not a priority for the team, but I can assure you that in my country (Venezuela) and others with similar politic/economic situations, safenetwork gonna be massively adopted and we could boost this adoption by helping spread the info.
I’ve already translated some info from maidsafe.net, but I don’t know if it is totally legal to publish it.

I have this and two more pdf documents ready to publication and still working on more. Is there gonna be any kind of legal trouble with that?

Edit: I would love to help directly here at the forum o any other official site.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: Nice work with that translation.

So far we only allow English on this forum. I don’t know if we as @moderators are open for a change. I also don’t know how many people in Venezuela speak English and can read this forum directly?

EDIT: Let’s tag @nicklambert as well.

But I don’t doubt that efforts of this type can be integrated in some way.

2 Likes

Fantastic to see your efforts to translate and make stuff available. You might connect with @stupidcache out of Argentina and coordinate your efforts. I’m quite sure that MaidSafe would have no problem with you setting up a mirror site, translating what they have, then giving them a link to post on their site. Check with @nicklambert, the COO. This is a very open community working on an open source project, so pitch in.

3 Likes

Hi @vandres, welcome to the forum and thanks for the effort of the translation. More than happy for you to publish!

PS: I gave an interview today for Science & Technology show on NTN24 in Manchester. I understand that program is shown quite widely in the Spanish speaking Americas so hopefully we will be able to raise our profile amongst your countrymen (and woman)!

Nick

5 Likes

Casually, NTN24 is one of the blocked webs in my country :rage: another reason why SafeNetwork is definitely a primary need for us.
Censorship in Venezuela (panampost.com)

Meanwhile, I’m gonna create a humble blog and publish as much as I can. Also want to play a little bit with safepress.

5 Likes

I finally started writing :grin:. I’ll be writing as much as I can in next days. :writing_hand:
I know there are not hispanic folks here, but I’m just making sure you know what’s going on.

My first medium blog post.

6 Likes

You dont allow other languages? This concerns me.

We should at least offer some links to other forums or groups and make it clear that We dont want to exclude anyone, rather We have problems finding moderators or whatever the real reason is. I can speak german, so I could at least write an explanation.