Fold against Corona (team: Maidsafe)

Not sure this applies to anyone here, but if your using your parents electric, pls ask them before adding to their bills.

Me I started it a few days ago. I started it when saw it on another unrelated forum.

Just had not mentioned it yet as I was checking it out. I would welcome others to join it, but I am just as happy they join team maidsafe. I mentioned it so people knew, not to compete really

On a side note so many people have started folding that they can no longer keep work units supplied, so your unit is idle a lot. My gpu does a work unit in about 1 hour estimated, but is always a little longer in practice.

Please be patient if you experience idle time as we face the COVID-19 pandemic together! We are working like mad to start simulations of COVID-19 proteins. The enthusiastic response to our effort has been tremendous and has sometimes emptied our queues. This is a great “problem” to have as there is no end to the valuable science we can do, its just a matter of giving us some time to get more running.

Team Safe Network  # 255524

Team Maidsafe      # 257148    @polpolrene  <- this topic
6 Likes

I’m on here.

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

2 Likes

Nice. I will set that up on my idle Ubuntu laptop. Thanks.

2 Likes

Credit/WU varies :thinking:

1 Like

not sure whats up with my stats

afaik i completed 1 run on cpu, and 1 on gpu so far

1 Like

Mine completed the one job and didn’t download another, so I’ve stopped it for now. Nice idea though I don’t understand what and how it’s doing.

I think its the lack of work causing the delay in getting the next job. As neo posted about.
I cant figure why it says I’ve scored 14million, maybe theres other bones out there.

1 Like

Im miffed that I only have 1000, client said I had 5000

Yes that is the reason, bones is used by many others. See this

Its doing a number of different modeling.

One of the modeling is the proteins. On the site it explains that the virus hooks on to our cells and by finding what the proteins look like they can identify the slots/holes needed to hook onto our cells. They then try and identify what atom/molecules can be placed there to prevent the virus attaching to our cells and thus it cannot invade the cells.,

Purpose is to identify candidate drug/elements that can be used to disable the virus attaching to our cells. Then when one is found they can do real life tests.

That is one thing.

3 Likes

Yeah, apparently Folding@home lets one person “fold” for more than one team so the system thinks all 22 bones are one bones. It really should check to see if the name is in use upon signup and alert the person to a duplicate. They do allow you to change your identity.

1 Like

They should have a pin/password number for the names so that only one person can have that name.

But in the end of it all the names and teams are just a fun thing for some to feel better. You know the competition thingo. Anyone can join the Safe Network team 255524 (Safe Network) if they want :sweat_smile:

Yeah, it is quite amazing how much extra interest is generated in a project when you inject a little competition element. Could this phenomenon be germane to the Safe Network project later?

5 Likes

I’m sure there could be incentives for distributing account sign-up vouchers that have an affiliate code attached. Maybe this is a long-term idea for @Sotros25 and the marketing team.
Join the race to get the most verified sign-ups of a SAFE new account and after some qualification period a small bounty is paid to the person who generates the most sign ups. Run monthly , quarterly and yearly competitions across various demographics, interest groups, whatever

2 Likes

Anybody else having difficulty getting work units for their GPU? After the hours I put in last night to try get this GPU recognised, this is rather annoying…

Yes, when one finishes my gpu can sit idle for quite some time, but eventually it will get more work.

As neo has said it’s because they dont have enough work to be done.

2 Likes

AH OK thanks. Hopefully they can get more capacity soon to relieve the bottleneck

I upgraded to a pre release Ubuntu 20.04 cos I got into a dependency hell trying to make the GPU work on my desktop with 18.04 the other day. I think I’ll skip trying to get it working with 20.04 if its just going to sit idle.

It seems that now even my cpu sits idle alot, I guess they were overwhelmed with new participants.

Yup. I’ve moved on to curing cancer

I set mine to work on anything, but it’s still sat idle alot.