Fleming Testnet v1 Release - *NOW OFFLINE IN PREPARATION FOR TESTNET V2*

It better than that, there are 7 Elders but circa 20 nodes in a section . So we could lose 2 from 20 in that case.

It is also catastrophic recovery? So can a blip cause 90% loss, but then if those 90% reconnect quickly, it is different to lost forever node.

Yes reboot is a serious one, all nodes might end up moved, but the rule is nodes must never delete data without republishing it first.

So a few different things at play, but recovery from lost consensus should come first I reckon.

Another thing to consider is higher replication fact means less different data on nodes, so nodes fill very fast with extra duplicates. If we take replication to it’s logical end, then all nodes hold all data. So now it’s less than that, but what is safe?

So we can lose 2 Elders and be OK, so we can say we can lose 2 copies of data and also be Safe, so keep 3 copies?

There’s a lot of tweaking gonna happen here for sure.

In terms of how much protection we get, it’s down to many factors, more copies, more nodes, more admin.

So our goal should be what is the replication factor that makes Data as Safe as the network? Again though a massive amount of things to consider. I will defo take time and describe this with all its side effects as soon as I can. It’s really interesting.

5 Likes

You guys are an unstoppable machine.

Test nets go brrrrrrrrrr.

7 Likes

The first one I get. That’s when there’s not enough data on the network, a safety guard against sybil attacks, and you need to retry later.

~ # safe node join
~ # cat /root/.safe/node/local-node/sn_node.log
[sn_node] INFO 2021-04-13T10:55:18.014731066+00:00 [src/bin/sn_node.rs:104] 

Running sn_node v0.35.5
=======================
[sn_node] ERROR 2021-04-13T10:55:18.338546196+00:00 [src/bin/sn_node.rs:110] Cannot start node due to error: Routing(TryJoinLater)

This next one I don’t understand.

$ safe files ls safe://hyryyry6mw7uiufjbwxapfht8fdy3p89jxyrq7iiem9fx8h8xmwr1s1bm9wnra
Error: Failed to connect: ConnectionError: Failed to connect to the SAFE Network: QuicP2p(UnresolvedPublicIp)

Next up. InsufficientBalance.
I thought were not at this stage yet.
Can anyone hand me a safenet token?

$ safe files put ~/sur/Bòȥxr/ --recursive
Error: NetDataError: Failed to PUT Public Blob: Transfer(InsufficientBalance)
1 Like

Network is down…just wait for v2

2 Likes

There were few sections so why Testnet.v1 does not continue itself?

1 Like

It may have but the connectivity bug will kill it anyway.
Full AE will also put apid to some, but we are on that.
Then a bunch of smaller stuff, UX fixes, more cmd lines, maybe a browser. These will all continue I think.
Then we will be testing section recovery and consensus recovery.

When this is unfailable it’s Fleming. It’s gonna be a wild ride this one, we need to strap in!!!

Seriously I think section recovery and consensus recovery may see a bit more of a delay than just a day or so, but we will see. (BTW I think this goes way beyond any network project out there when we do this)

13 Likes

You may want to consider ensuring tokens are put to one side when that is likely to occur. They may need to be swapped for MAID.

Maybe you’re thinking of Maxwell?

2 Likes

They pulled the plug on it again?

V2 of the testnet is going to be released in a day or two.

What went wrong with V1?

It all went to plan.

They gathered enough information from v1 to make improvements and so launch v2.

I’m sure we will get a list of fixes.

1 Like

it’s all in this topic…

2 Likes

We only pulled it once :wink:

5 Likes

Slow down a bit chaps I have other things to do you know. I can’t keep up with this. :grin:

2 Likes

I’m thinking anything that can’t be turned off, tbh!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Arditi_Wil/status/1381960407884046342/photo/1

5 Likes

Looks quite friendly for a fitter.

3 Likes

I was trying v2(?) with
>safe files put test.jpg
and get thread 'main' has overflowed its stack
If it is my mistake, then nevermind, if not it is better to fix.

Can only assume you don’t have the correct config there @Vort , it will be with you shortly.

PLEASE NOTE - this thread will be locked on the release of testnet v2

1 Like