Fleming Testnet v1 Release - *NOW OFFLINE IN PREPARATION FOR TESTNET V2*

Are these not enough, still busy today but let me know. It’s straightforward if you have Rust installed: Vdash - Node dashboard for Safe Network

1 Like

Now it seems to go faster. One transfer takes just under 40 seconds.

It seems to me that some people don’t realise what a huge step it is to have a network running in the wild with everyone being able to send data freely.

Congratulations to the whole team. Many years waiting for this.

23 Likes

It is monumental, and the most serious criticism of the last testnet was ‘yeah, it works, but isn’t decentralized’… there are no blockers like that anymore, no gotchas for the naysayers, just the technical merits as it evolves.

It will be interesting to see if it speeds up as it grows and once data is devolved enough and the nodes span all time/internet zones. Also, optimization and caching will happen… this is just the beginning.

11 Likes

Woohoo… I must test it too… :+1: A lot of talk about speed, delighted to hear it works, even if slow to start :grin: I guess significant speed optimisation is indeed possible?

Again, congrats :ok_hand:

2 Likes

My guess - 10x faster is no problem, 100x - maybe not possible.
And separate question is how speed relates to network size.

1 Like

For now I see opposite thing: larger the network - more slowdowns.
But it may be just coincidence.

Hmhmm - most certainly depends on how much of the delay is caused by final bugs and how much of it is none optimized code :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Morning! We’ve not seen any reports of the dreaded IGD errors which plagued testnets of years gone by, so it seems safe to say that we have resolved those connection issues! This is a pretty remarkable achievement in its own right, and something that I know will be HUGELY appreciated by those who were having those frustrating IGD issues in previous testnets, of which I was one.

I’ve updated the OP with this excellent news :rocket:

No More IGD connection problems!

Who remembers not being able to participate in previous testnets over the years due to an IGD error:

Automatic Port forwarding Failed. Check if UPnP is enabled in your router's settings and try again. Note that not all routers are supported in this testnet.

With ZERO reports of IGD errors after 15 hours of the testnet being online, we can now safely say this issue is resolved! :tada:

We’ve changed a few strategies in our qp2p crate since previous testnets. We now lean on the bootstrap nodes and echo service, rather than trying to contact the IGD gateway, and we haven’t seen an IGD issue in-house since. But with such a small in-house sample size we wouldn’t know for sure whether this had been completely resolved until we tried it in a public testnet - well the results are in and the evidence confirms that all IGD issues have been completely eliminated!

39 Likes

File upload is for sure have lot of room for optimization.
Loading whole file into RAM (in multiple copies) looks like very rough solution.
Also adding progress bar may make upload look faster )

4 Likes

Hooray! Congratulations to the team.

7 Likes

If I try to generate test-coins with safe auth create --test-coins it hangs. Someone knows what to do?
Edit: It works now switched console :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like i hit my upload limit.
Error: NetDataError: Failed to PUT Public Blob: Transfer(InsufficientBalance)

so that check works. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good work! Will there be official arm/aarch64 builds? The install script has x86 hardcoded into it.

2 Likes

If things seem to hang leave them running. Even simple commands are taking a minute or five.

Last night I left an upload running which looked like it had hung but it eventually completed even though when I left it there had been no output to the console. It was only two MB but probably took over an hour.

I think there is probably one of two bugs in that area, but so far I’ve not seen any real errors.

8 Likes

Thanks for your answer switched to powershell and it seems to work now :sunglasses:

2 Likes

yes Mark, thats fine, I was too lazy/tired to search for that link last night -sorry. Thank you

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about that but unclear what could cause it… seem commands hang after a time but work again in another terminal.

2 Likes

Hi Mendrit, this particular error you are seeing which I’ve quoted above is Windows specific. We’ve got instructions on exactly how to resolve it in the very 1st paragraph of the Windows Download section in the full CLI User Guide - click here to go direct to that paragraph and follow the instructions, should hopefully get you going on Windows.

A little later I will try to get put some exact steps together for macOS, though they should all be there in the OP - if there’s anything we’ve missed please let us know!

5 Likes

Not sure if it is important for developers, but looks like I know why my node were hanging yesterday.
It is not related to logging. Just logging gives extra ideas.

I was using custom launch command, which included --skip-igd (since I do not need it), --public-addr and --local-addr since it was required.
It may be that when you use the same port in subsequent runs, network messes up with your identities which results in hang: https://pastebin.com/cLby5ZeD .

The message occurred even I had some different version than Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 and this version I was not able to install until I did not remove the old one.

The actual instructions are quite deep in details, but still I would appreciate a lot to see some screenshots of Git running on Windows.