Fleming Testnet Stupid Question Thread

So what program do i type the command line thingys into to get a test net running?

meh i will give up then

Hi @Matt , I suspect you have no answers because you have not selected a topic category and it is invisible to most participants, so I’m moving it.

Privacy. Security. Freedom

1 Like

I had this error and restarted safe auth a time or two and it started working for me.
safe auth restart

3 Likes

In Linux, it would be whatever terminal you are using. If you are using a “user friendly” Linux, it would just be listed as “Terminal” or possibly “XTerm” in your applications.

I have not done the Windows install, personally, but it seems you will want to run PowerShell as an admin (right click on the app and select ‘Run as Administrator’) for the install.

2 Likes

Thanks. I ’ ve tried this but no joy.

If you are on linux, look here for a tested procedure to get things working. I struggled initially, repeating the install from scratch, removing .safe, but got things working after about 5 iterations.

Interestingly, when things failed, combinations of passphrase and password were still stored somewhere, and not in the .safe folder, and caused trouble. I had to keep selecting different passphrases and passwords every try.

Also, don’t send coins from your default safeKey (wherever that may be) or you may quickly run out of funds to perform operations on the network.

4 Likes

I’m suspecting @Guybrows is having some sort of connectivity issue, AFAIK no connection to the network was yet successful for him/her, neither from authd nor from CLI, the CLI $ safe keys create --test-coins is the most straight forward one I always use to check connectivity and that doesn’t even work for @Guybrows .

Do you have your network setup correctly with the $ safe networks commands?

Make sure you are using the right connection:

• $ safe networks add maidsafe-testnet https://sn-node.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/config/node_connection_info.config
  • then $ safe networks switch maidsafe-testnet

after that try the CLI keys create command again.

Tried your advise above and still just get the same hanging.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks this looks great.

Only problem now is my obsessive nature. I cant give up. Arghhhhhhhh

How about trying with diff ISPs/connection, perhaps use your phone connection?

Tried that earlier. Same issue.

Could my router settings cause any issues?

Gona give this another go though.

With the CLI, I’d doubt it, it’s a client so there shouldn’t be anything that could prevent these messages and connections to the network, also it’d be solved with your phone connection if the router was the issue. Can you share the logs you get from RUST_LOG=sn_client=debug safe keys create --test-coins once you try it again with your phone?

Unless there is some firewall thing going on in your PC…

It worked …Key pair generated :grinning:

Thanks…I ll see if I can do the rest of the CLI commands and then I ll have a look at my router settings. Maybe antivirus settings?

1 Like

Awesome!!! I guess either antivirus or just firewall, specially if you are using Windows I think it’s a bit strict by default…not sure though…

1 Like

I think I may of left the wifi connection on my phone turned on when i did this earlier.