Flattr not Open Bazaar

“Off topic” as this a bit of a trial for “Flatter and MaidSAFE” thread or a post to the “Decentralized Payment Culture thread.”

These are not perfectly equivalent systems. Flattr looks like an answer to the core of the online digital economy. The more traditional Open Bazaar where a market system is made more anonymous and potentially more secure may provide competitors for firms like EBay and for Amazon, but looks less able to address the core of the digital economy.

Open Bazaar
As I understand it ProjectSAFE is about helping people realize dreams without pretending we can know better how things will turn out in advance. That gives a lot of leeway, but I still don’t get the impression that the Open Bazaar approach is compatible. On the surface it sounds attractive to many people. Its name Open (Free) Bazaar(Market) is an enticing idea for many. I could be way off but my impression of Open Bazaar is that its more about buying and selling elections and tax evasion.

You won’t get an improved Wikileaks out of Open Bazaar but despite anonymity will likely still get sponsorship and ads. More precisely that OpenBazaar is not about increasing transparency but decreasing it. It’s the idea of greater power distance and further increasing verticality and top down supply side approaches. Its more paranoia and more supervision. This is a pathway that leads to civil and global war because people (historically) reach a point where they would rather fight and die than suffer ever increasing oppression without end. The larger the system the approach is applied to the quicker the fire-starting event.

In terms of the house that spooks built, I’d say Facebook is a great candidate and that Open Bazaar is as well- they’re building a portfolio. Open Bazaar would be a huge upgrade to the global money laundering system and making it much harder to follow the money. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if someday we learn that both were spook fabrications. Seeming to advocate open source light is questionable behavior. Naturally there will be people trying to level similar accusations at the intent behind ProjectSAFE but the point of ProjectSAFE seems to be transparency not more organizational secrecy.

Flattr
Flattr, Flicker, FaceBook, there’s an “F” in the name but the approach does not seem to be about Facebook style flattery and superficiality but rather about flattening (flatter) society or getting us back to the more horizontal or flattened society that we are quite possibly hardwired for. It seems to reverse the supply-sider approach of demanding ever lower wages and quality of life for workers (would be buyers) while colluding up prices. It would increase average buyer power (which is worker power- implying the power flowing it the right direction toward stability) by reducing amounts that creative(s) could demand but largely through disintermediation and cutting out Wall St.

With Flattr the end user sets a monthly budget by paying Flattr that amount ahead of time and then has access to everything in the system ad and sponsor free. The end user sets the amount they want to spend and that fits their budget and that’s crucial. The end user then applies likes in retrospect (where an informed decision can be made) only to content they think was worth their time and money, and the system at the end of the month automatically divvies up the user supplied funds among for the creators of the offerings the users flagged as liked. Anonymous, private, peer to peer and could be a really tight fight with ProjectSAFE. Also gets rid of some of the ambiguity in figuring out if the target offering was a copy. Apparently open source. If it’s only taking money and influence from end users and has an end user interface that end users have total control over then it’s about perfect or will be once its ported over to ProjectSAFE as an app.

Flattr has pedigree. Thought up by a Pirate Bay founder- someone who has paid a price to benefit us all.

To my knowledge Centup.org does the same as flatter and you can pick a charity
http://vimeo.com/72999880

Also check out

Beautiful. Not sure if at least a penny is required for anything you look at. In comparison to Flatr it doesn’t auto budget or allow you to pay less than a penny which Flattr budgeting system does seamlessly. Still excellent and still part of a model that empowers end users instead of enslaving them under more centralization.