Finding a currency symbol for Safecoin

I had a close look at symbols. Since the international standards committees will not add SAFE Coin to this page unicode.org/charts/PDF/U20A0.pdf, it is more wise to chose a symbol that already exists, such as Bitcoin has done.

Here are some thoughts, and some basic info:

Sources I read:
Wikipedia List of Unicode characters - Wikipedia
Unicode1 Unicode 14.0 Character Code Charts
Unicode2 unicode-table.com

𝕊

double-lined S, Mathematical Double-Struck Capital S
see: Search - Unicode Character Table
mathematical alphanumeric symbol
used to label sedenions in abstract algebra
see: Sedenion - Wikipedia

#
reversed S, Latin capital letter Tone Two, historic latin

##⅀
Sigma with double lines, Double-Struck N-Ary Summation,
Mathematical meaning

##⍙
Delta with horizontal dash, Apl Functional Symbol Delta Underbar
Misc. technical symbol
Possible meaning of “Difference” like Delta in general

##Ⓢ
Circled S, Circled Latin Capital Letter S
no special meaning

##Ꞩ
see: Latin Extended-D - Wikipedia
not current used, no known meaning other than “medieval S”

##𐅠
Looks like a mirrored Sigma (vertically mirrored), stands for an ancient Greek number 10
Greek Acrophonic Troezenian Ten
see: 𐅠 - Greek Acrophonic Troezenian Ten: U+10160 - Unicode Character Table
see: unicode.org/charts/PDF/U10140.pdf
Not available/implemented in many fonts
no current meaning

##₴
Currency Symbol, reverse S with 2 horizontal bars
Already used
Currency in Ukraine
see: Hryvnia sign - Wikipedia

##₳
Currency Symbol
Already used
Was currency in Argentina
see: Argentine austral - Wikipedia

Good choices might be

𝕊 and Ꞩ

5 Likes

Great research! The symbol Ꞩ looks promising too. For example Ꞩ1,000 or 𝕊1,000.

2 Likes

𝕊 is very elegant. I really like this one. But the problem is it already has it’s usage for mathematics. It could confuse the mathematicians. 1 percent of the population would know this symbol. It wouldn’t greatly affect them. Just keep that in mind.

So I would recommend Ꞩ. It has no usage nor history background info.

3 Likes

I agree. Most of the times I’m checking this forum on my mobile phone, and this symbol really stands out.

3 Likes

And the symbol is used by programmers. Sure there is a difference between adopting an already existing and well-known currency symbol like in a programming language and introducing a new symbol for a cryptocurrency by using an already known mathematical symbol, but still it could work. One good thing with 𝕊 is that it’s today only used mostly in some mathematical expressions. I think it’s more difficult to read for example Ꞩ500 than 𝕊500. EDIT: On the other hand 𝕊500 may look too similar to $500. And Ꞩ500 is in that case a better choice.

On my Android phone all the symbols in the last few posts appear as the same little black rectangle! So much for Unicode symbols :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ouch. Not good. It could work though if the fonts in smartphones get better within a year or two. One radical alternative is to use the symbol S for safecoin. That’s the ordinary ASCII S. :smiley:

So for example S1,000 is one thousand safecoins.

2 Likes

I’m using a Windows phone. So far no issues with the Unicodes used here…

Sorry, I’m just going to have to put this here, because we all know, the best symbol for safecoin will be this right here:

1 Like

I’m expecting the $ to disappear in a few years, and Safecoin will be the new dollar. So they won’t co-exist anyway… :wink:

2 Likes

I am getting a broken something for that symbol “Ꞩ” It appears as a simple box on my browser

Can you describe it?

EDIT: I see others have the issue as well. Win7 here BTW

Viewing and using a symbol should be trivial.
A new symbol might be a rpita to type… copy+paste is just introducing a hurdle.

Alt approach would be to use something that is at least available like Greek capital sigma Σ… even simpler would be to suggest it is an underlined normal Latin Capital S… => S

Strikethrough’s are less familiar to normal user but any noob can punch S on the keyboard and ctrl+U to underline it S… although having just suggested that ctrl-S barfs source code in discourse and there isn’t the U option above the edit box here to do U in the way bold and italics are there. Route around that is html container for underline.

2S…

3 Likes

Hi, I am the OP from the other thread. I found a few symbols that you might like, mostly from the Greek alphabet which is widely adopted on various platforms.

Subset Above Superset U+2AD3

This is character is not from the Greek alphabet, so I am not too sure about compatibility but it works on android and windows.

Latin Small Letter Delta U+1E9F

I think this might be one of the more popular choices among the community, not just because of its design but delta character in uppercase is

Δ

which is probably going to be the unicode symbol for the Safenet itself. A nice coincidence if picked.

ϑ

Greek Theta Symbol U+03D1

I picked this because it would be my personal choice, but I think that the community should be the ones to choose.

Please comment to say which one you would prefer or make your own suggestions.

1 Like

SC

Plain letters seem to be in common use for world currencies, why create barriers to adoption for the sake of fancy

5 Likes

could be the other way around

Maybe simple is best. I go with SC. :smiley:

2 Likes

If that symbol works in smartphones and older OSs then ⫓ might be better than the Ꞩ symbol.

1 Like

For fun I designed an almost nasty looking symbol for safecoin :smiley: :

That is a rare symbol I can’t see… Linux Mint default install.