Feedback for Test 17 (internal testing)

I can connect again, my account is still there.

I uploaded safe://polpol.rene/index.html and this one works fine. But safe://polpolrene still crashes the browser although it has the same index.html and same data. Like I said before, I think something went wrong after I tried to upload a new website in the same container (_public/www-root).

Uploaded a video as well, this one works fine…

safe://play.davidvideo/index.html

4 Likes

So it does. As an experiment I deleted safeblues.jpl using the Web Hosting Manager, tried to visit the site in the SAFE Browser and the same thing happens: instant death. I’d say that’s a bug for sure.

5 Likes

Ahh, nice work. Guess there’s trouble when a piece of MD (in this case a domain) links to certain files and therefore their hashes. No idea really though, could be something else.

3 Likes

Web Hosting Manager - usability test
Here’s a walkthrough through the eyes of a newbie (i.e. me two weeks ago) trying to create a site.

Note: Ignore all the pre-created IDs for the sake of this walkthrough, they can’t be removed
Hmm … SAFE Hosting Manager? Oh well, I guess it’s probably the same thing.

OK, that all makes sense, create a public Id - maybe ID should be capitalised though.

So now what? Ah, perhaps I click that Tick icon? Nope, that means connected. I would use a green dot or a plug symbol for that. In Excel and other apps a tick is what you click when you’re done.

Right, create a service. Hang on, what’s a service? A website? And why is that button blue on white rather than white on blue? Is it active? Ah well, I guess I’ll find out.

What in the name of the Merry Irvine is this? :grimacing: What the hell is a container and why would I want to map one? What is root? Last time I heard that word was just before a mate bricked his phone. Now I’m scared. OK, be brave, type in a name go with the default option (Note: not sure if this is actually the default for a new user, but still)

What now? I don’t like the look of that weird-looking link beginning with the underscore. Perhaps I need to click on the newsite link? Well that looks like a road to nowhere :confused:, weird-looking link it is then.

OK I’ve created my service, whatever that is, and uploaded my website folder. Lets see what happens if I browse to newsite.jpl2 - nope, that site doesn’t work :disappointed_relieved:- it exits to clearnet brower with ‘DNS can’t be found’ error.

Tell you what, I’ll delete this service and go back a few steps and try the newsite-root option.

OK site uploaded - let’s try again.

Hallelujah!

I realise the immediate goal is to get things working, but I must say I found the old demo-app a lot more intuitive and easier to use.

Recommendations:

• Instead of ‘service’ (techie word) use ‘website or folder’
  • Instead of ‘container’ user ‘folder’, ‘storage area’ … something more standard (not sure if either of those options fit the bill TBH).
  • Hide the mapping option on separate page (e.g. reachable through an ‘Advanced options’ link) - make the default option the creation of a new website using a new container.
  • Make the newsite link (in my example) a link to the file management page, where you upload and download files)
  • Add some dialogue about the website folder needing an index.html file, and how to access the website once it’s been uploaded.
  • Add some dialogue about mapping / remapping, how and why. I still don’t really understand this.
  • Add some dialogue about public and private storage (can we actually store private files using the Web Hosting Manager? I couldn’t work out how to do it.)
17 Likes

Has anyone tested streaming via safe?

1 Like

I think the error message when your IP has changed should be more clear about what the issue is.
I thought the network was down.

5 Likes

Okay, let me add one as well here:

This is what I see when I upload a little .mp4 file which is part of my website. Maybe use the word “file” instead of “message”? Otherwise people might think “What message did I wrote?? What’s getting uploaded??”.

6 Likes

or just plain “uploading…”

9 Likes

From further up the thread:

It’ll be great once this is integrated so the delay for a large file to start playing will be far smaller.

Excellent critiques @JPL absolutely to all of it. Some things are too insider baseball when named, e.g. Container, service, root, etc. The point is noobs won’t get it and they will be confused, yes it might be dumbing it down for others but those smart enough to know that stuff will appreciate safe for the underlying technology anyways and at the same time noobs can create their own websites without wondering what a service, container, root, etc is. :slight_smile: good job

5 Likes

Aaaand the MAID FAUCET is back!!

safe://free.maidfaucet

For people that don’t feel like getting free MAID there’s always:

safe://cheburashka

3 Likes

тестишь?
как впечатление?
похоже на готовый продукт?

Moderator Edit (google translation)
Testes?
How impression?
Similar to the finished product?

Would someone be able to test out the safe://test.joe website to see if it still works ,the code is the same as the previous release but i am now getting an error which i didn’t see in the previous version of testnet 17

C:\Users\josephm\Desktop\safe-browser-v0.2.1-win-x64\resources\app\node_modules\pauls-
electron-rpc\…:203 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Unexpected (probably a logic error): Could not 
connect to the SAFE Network(…)onCbReply @ C:\Users\josephm\Desktop\safe-browser-v0.2.1-
win-x64\resources\app\node_modules\pauls-electron-rpc\…:203onIPCMessage @ 
C:\Users\josephm\Desktop\safe-browser-v0.2.1-win-x64\resources\app\node_modules\pauls-
electron-rpc\…:118emitMany @ events.js:127emit @ events.js:201

i’ve also had a few issues connecting to the network especially with the web hosting manager but it started working once i revoked all the authorised apps also the network on my end seems to be a bit slower downloading but uploading small javascript files is very fast

2 Likes

OK boys, when?

Hasn’t been that meagre:

4 Likes

It loads, but this is all I get - even after choosing allow in the authenticator.

2 Likes

make sure you have console open , refresh and if a lot stuff comes without any errors it is working

I forgot who said this but it goes something like ~" Any idiot can make something complicated, but it takes a genius to simplify it"~

Can’t say I entirely agree with it requiring genius but ultimately simplification requires more careful consideration for proper distillation. More mental energy for sure. Non linear thinking draws from more possible approach angles and logic allows us to choose the most prominent path.

2 Likes

After a few seconds:

C:\Users\John\Documents\SAFEnetwork\TEST\safe-browser-v0.2.1-win-x64\resources\app\node_modules\pau…:203 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Unexpected (probably a logic error): Could not connect to the SAFE Network
at onCbReply (C:\Users\John\Documents\SAFEnetwork\TEST\safe-browser-v0.2.1-win-``x64\resources\app\node_modules\pauls-electron-rpc\lib\import-api.js:203:19)
at EventEmitter.onIPCMessage (C:\Users\John\Documents\SAFEnetwork\TEST\safe-browser-v0.2.1-win-``x64\resources\app\node_modules\pauls-electron-rpc\lib\import-api.js:118:14)
at emitMany (events.js:127:13)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:201:7)

1 Like

thanks for testing it out @jpl ,i now think it might be a problem the testnet 17 rate limiter because it was working on the previous version of testnet 17 and i don’t think i changed any of my javascript code

1 Like

I’m getting an error. Guess it’s the same as the one JPL is getting.

2 Likes