Farming questions

1. How do i become farmer - is it available yet?
    2)if i have a 500gb hardrive and a cpu of roughly 2.8ghz is there a way to calculate amount made
  2. can you host free websites with this protocol without domain registration (obviously not accessible from normal web) or is it more of a file sharing thing on its own?
1 Like

Farming will not be available until Testnet3.

1 Like

Safecoin Farming 101: Simplified v2.0

Farmers cultivate and maintain farms. Farms consist of land, in the SAFE network the farmers land is the hard drive space the farmer provides to the SAFE network. Farm land is planted with seeds, in the SAFE network seeds are the encrypted data chunks the SAFE network puts on to the farmer’s hard drive. Seeds grow into crops, on the SAFE network crops are encrypted data chunks requested by the SAFE network. Crops are harvested when the SAFE network successfully gets encrypted data chunks off of the farmer’s hard drive. The SAFE network rewards farmers with lottery tickets for each successful harvest. Farmers earn Safecoin when their lottery tickets win the lottery. Whether a lottery ticket is a winning or losing ticket is determined by the SAFE network in less than a fraction of a second. How much that winning lottery ticket pays is based off the farmers ranking on the SAFE network and the supply and demand of the SAFE network’s resources. The SAFE network lottery operates similar to the free market system and ensures farmers get paid the perfect amount as the SAFE network resources change over time.

1 Like
  1. Not yet
  2. No, it won’t be known until you start farming
  3. No, sites are not hosted by anyone in particular, but by the whole network and you may, unbeknownst to you, get a small fraction of any individual site. These would be accessed via the MaidSafe protocol (thank to a browser extension).
    So it’s going to be like file sharing (e.g. FTP) but also like the Web with (mostly) static content (e.g. imagine static Wiki sites). Various combinations with the Web will be possible too (e.g. a site may provide some content via MaidSafe, and other via HTTPS).
1 Like
1 Like

so if i created a html document with hyperlinks and what not like most websites, and uploaded it to maid safe would people be able to access it and see whats on the pages?

1 Like
1 Like

if i created a html document with hyperlinks and what not like most websites, and uploaded it to maid safe would people be able to access it and see whats on the pages?

Yes, but they’d access that linked content via HTTP(S) or whatever URLs you created.
So the first access would be something like safenet://yoursite, and then the rest would be http*://*
Assuming they had the SafeNet browser extension they could get to your SafeNet site and fetch the rest of data from the Web.

Personally I hope the extension will have the ability to block all other access (aka “allow only SafeNet URLs”). It’s important for privacy.
Of course you could put a note on your MaidSafe index.html “if you want to see the rest of this site, please disable such and such option in your MaidSafe browser extension”)

1. can you host free websites with this protocol without domain registration (obviously not accessible from normal web) or is it more of a file sharing thing on its own?

Yes, see the FAQ for an explanation of how to host your websites on SAFE. Details still being worked out though!

1 Like

Should you be on a beach sipping mai-tais somewhere?

1 Like

Not at the beach yet… :wink:

Still waiting to be able to say “beam me up Scotty”!

1 Like

I prefer a shuttlecraft to “having my molecules scrambled by that contraption" :wink:

2 Likes

HB is wired and online, working as a Varoufakis’ tax inspector :slight_smile:

1 Like