Farming Hardware: Odroid-U3

@happybeing, Awsome stuff!! I really wonder how the device will cope with the encryption routines.

Me too, but these devices are just for farming so the encryption load is small. It’s much more for client nodes.

We’re working on this with the ePlugs too, efficiency and a grandma-friendly gui are everything if we are to get mass acceptance. MaidSafe can be the foundation for it all.

2 Likes

Any have any prebuilt stuff to buy lol?

I had a chance to see what @culexevilman had been up to for much of December:

and wound up with a shipment of these:

http://www.infinityalgorithms.com/store/vault-t3

4 Likes

Do you know if farming payouts will be weighted against other farmers? In other words, a latest and greatest Intel quad core, 32 gb RAM with 2gb GPU would spank a mid-range Odroid, so you’re saying farming payouts would be weighted, yet within computing categories or output/input classes?

I guess the answer is still speculation, but this question occurred to me the other day. Thoughts?

OK so where can I buy one or 5 then please?

Well, are you in the SF area? :smile:

Of course we have discounts for multiple orders and paying in crypto.

WTF are they and… how many… who, what…

[gasp]

Exciting times guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in France. … can we communicate privately somehow?
Cheesebell@hotmail.com
Is an email I have

Of course

The FAQ has some notes and suggestions about farming:
What kind of equipment will be required for dedicated farming?

Its not about farming the most coin, but about how much profit you make = value of coin farmed - cost of farming (hardware, connectivity & power consumption)

Which configurations will be most “efficient” in these terms is very hard to predict, but I think we know that in terms of yield (Safecoin volume farmed) rank will be the most important factor. I admit though that I’m confused about the meaning of “network average” in this context. I used to think this meant average rank, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

So, I got a low down on the specs of that machine:

CPU INTEL i7 4770T
MEMORY 16G DDR3 1600
HDD 2TB SATA HDD X2
WIFI INTEL 3160
802.11AC
POWER 130W
MSATA 250GB SSD
MOBO ASUS H81T

This thing is silent as can be; I mean no sound, stays cool at max conditions; faster than a mac mini, more space;
And less expensive.

If you only have fiat it’s a full price, depends…
MaidSafeCoiners - you get them practically at cost
Either way, these guys are getting fired up during the test networks, and going live next to launch :sunny:

There’s a couple of other configurations @culexevilman let me know about:

(sorry for the off topic ;P)

4 Likes

I’d be interested to run one alongside an Odroid with 4TB HDD, 64G eMMC, 10W consumption (I think) and see how they compare for farming rates and profitability with identical connectivity.

A third very interesting comparison, will be with an existing PC on the same network, just farming when switched on for other purposes, i.e zero purchase and running cost (other than setting aside some disk space). It’s not switched on very much, so should be very interesting to see if it makes rank enough to earn at all!

@dallyshalla As I’m in UK, might be best for me to buy direct if they are available off the shelf, or is that not an option? Shipping just one from SF sounds a bit over the top.

Would anyone care to write a wallet balance logging app to make it easy to generate plots of earnings over time? It’s that even possible, without leaving the client logged in? In guessing not.

1 Like

It’d be about 80 bucks to ship all assembled; the case is directly from manufacturer, and components are bulk buys from distributor;
The point of these machines is that they can be dedicated to farming in an average persons’ living room, and be unnoticeable in the highly thermal efficient aluminum enclosure + well compatible components for Linux operating system, and after launch will come stock with MaidSafe installed;

I can likely dedicate a rig to track this type of data - we’re so curious also to see how they perform as farming equipment, so far jsut stressing the equipment to handle continuous use without overheating or running into OS issues;

Also, I am planning to have a wallet spending coins on a regular basis to gauge the cost of a gigabyte per safecoin,

3 Likes

What’s the cost for all that exciting firepower? (Fiat, safecoin or BTC) …cc @culexevilman

We are still working on launching the website for sales, you got slack? We can discuss there.

Yet another project, open kind of hardware

CompuLab fitlet is a tiny fanless PC full of openness
fitlet press release

Yokneam, Israel 14-Jan-2015 – CompuLab is introducing fitlet – a
miniature 0.22l fanless quad-core PC that is not only packing more
features than any other PC in its class, but is also designed from the
ground up for unprecedented openness: Memory, storage, networking,
extension cards and operating system can all be easily installed and
upgraded by the user.

The Linux version of fitlet was developed with the Linux Mint team and will be available under the “MintBox Mini” brand.

fitlet is powered by latest AMD low-power APU and is built into a sleek,
passively-cooled ruggedized housing. Three fitlet models are offered
in various configurations ranging from a plug-and-play Windows PC to a
barebone system priced at $129. All models come with a 5 year warranty.

I did some analysis of my Odroid farming setup: equipment spec, purchase costs and running costs. It would be good to build a table of this information, and later to compare farming performance.

I might run more than one system like this side-by-side on the same internet connection, with same or different specifications, to compare performance. I’ll probably split the HDD into multiple vaults too, to compare farming rate on different vault sizes. So this is just an outline for now.

If anyone cares to put together a comparable table for your own setups, we could build a comparison table on Google Docs.

System Specification

Hardkernel Odroid-U3
1.7GHz Quad-Core (Exynos 4412 CPU)
2GB RAM
64GB eMMC (flash memory)
USB 2.0 (HDD connectivity)
5W max
ADSL Broadband (Internet Connectivity)
$179

Seagate Expansion Desktop External
4TB HDD
18W max
£110 ($167)

System Power Consumption

12W continuous (estimate)
UK electricity cost: £0.11/KWh

Costs

Purchase costs: $350
Running costs: $1.47 (£0.97) per month, or $17.57 (£11.56) per year

Safecoin Farming Rate

To be measured!

Note: £ / USD rate used $1.52 (Jan 16, 2015)

5 Likes

Here it is:

www.infinityalgorithms.com/hardware

We’ve been benchmarking these with the MaidSafe Source code running many of the tests in the build, and it is outperforming our cloud server instances;

Looking forward to the test farming soon to arrive :slight_smile:

1 Like