FAQs: SAFE Authenticator

mobile
dapps
safe_authenticator

1) What is Safe-Authentication?
Self-Authentication means you can log in and secure your data with no middleman. You never have to give your password to anyone or ask a third party’s permission to access your data. Your information, and access to it, belongs to you and no one else. Your Secret and Password are used to locate your data on the Network and then used to decrypt that data locally. That means no one needs to hold a record of your files or your login details—and there’s no need to ask anyone for permission to access it. This is known as Self-Authentication and enables you to find, unlock and decrypt your own data.

2) What is the SAFE Authenticator?
The SAFE Authenticator acts as a gateway to the SAFE Network and allows the user to control and manage what access and permissions to give to other SAFE Apps.

3) What are its main features?
This application can be used to create an account, and log in to the SAFE Network. It also helps the user to authenticate other SAFE apps and manage access permissions for applications that are already registered.

4) Where can I get the latest version of SAFE Authenticator mobile?
You can download the latest version of the app from GitHub release.

5) What is Account secret and Account password in SAFE network?
The account secret defines the location of the user’s account and data. Account secret has to be considered more like a password and should be kept private to retain anonymity.
The account password is used to secure (encrypt) the data.

6) Why should both secret and password be kept private and secure?
Anyone who knows the secret and password to a particular account will be able to access the data belonging to that account. These credentials should be kept safe because if lost the user’s account and data cannot be retrieved.

7) How do I create an account?
Open the SAFE Authenticator and go to ‘Create Account’ screen. From there it is only a three step process to create an account in SAFE network.

8) Why do I need an invitation token
As a measure to stop the Alpha-2 test network being spammed during the development phase. Each user account is given an invitation token.

9) How to claim an invitation token
To claim an invitation token:

• Visit https://invite.maidsafe.net.
  • Click on the SAFE Network logo
  • Select ‘Alpha 2’
  • Set (or update) your registered IP
  • Copy and paste the invitation token into the Invitation field on the Authenticator
    (this step is only required when creating an account to begin with)

10) Why should I update my IP address?
As a part of the invitation token mechanism to prevent spamming of the test network, the user needs to update their IP address being used.

11) Where can I update my IP address?
The user can update the IP address here. Click on SAFE Network logo, select the Alpha-2 test network and update your IP. Make sure your current and registered IPs match.

12) What happens when I revoke an application?
All the permissions which were provided by you to the app are revoked and the application will not be able to modify the data on the network.

13) What type of applications can I authorise?
Any SAFE application which wants to access the SAFE Network requires to be authorised by the authenticator.

14) What is account status?
Currently in the Alpha-2 network, each account has a limit of 1,000 mutations. The account status displays the number of mutations done and number of mutations left.

15) What is auto-reconnect?
This is used to automatically connect to the network. When toggled on, your secret and password is stored securely on the user’s device. Logging out or switching auto-reconnect off will clear the credentials from the memory.

16) Is the Authenticator for mobile different to the Authenticator in the browser?
No, it is not. The SAFE Authenticator (mobile) is a mobile version of the authenticator present in the browser. The user can use the same account in the mobile authenticator which is created in browser and vice versa. Any changes made here would be reflected there and vice versa.

17) I have an issue, where do I report it?
Please feel free to raise any issues found on the authenticator here.