Extended public keys

Does anybody know how to find the extended public keys (xpub) for MAID and ERC-20 tokens like PDC? And what about a watch only wallet that displays Omni and ERC-20 coins, preferably one that works in a browser? I keep the coins on a Trezor T.

1 Like

omniwallet.org does watch only addresses

1 Like

You can bookmark the wallet OMNI address in omniexplorer: https://omniexplorer.info/address/1Po1oWkD2LmodfkBYiAktwh76vkF93LKnh

and for ERC20 ethplorer: https://ethplorer.io/address/0x0198296dc996660a30b9cd32e68be1ea52a39fa4

But now I have the coins in a Trezor T and would like an xpub key for those addresses, without having to move the coins to Omniwallet.

No need to move coins to omni wallet to see balances. Only need to supply the address to view balances and have in as a watch address

1 Like

That’s just it. The address changes in an HD wallet like Trezor. That’s why I would need the xpub key, No?

2 Likes

You can use the same address in the Trezor. It generates a new one every time, but if you go to used addresses you can see the old ones and send to them again from an external address or send all the availabil balance of the other internal addresses to 1 internel address (for bitcoin, for ERC20 it do not generate new address)

I wasn’t sure about the ERC20 addresses. Maybe they stay put. But for BTC and MAID I would like to have the extended public keys (xpub/ypub) so I wouldn’t have to care about the “regular” public keys changing. I’d like to stick all my coins on one Trezor, bury it behind the chicken house, and only check the balance in view only mode, even if I send more coins to the buried Trezor and the addresses on it change. Does that make sense?

1 Like

You send only to one BTC address. The address change only if you send from the Trezor to outside address… So if some smart chicken do not steal from you, you will be able to send to one BTC address every time :chicken:

1 Like

The reason the address changes every time you ask for a receive address from the Trezor is because it is a security best practice. Address reuse is certainly possible, but it makes chain analysis easier. In Bitcoin it is also a bit more secure to keep coins in separate addresses because when you do a spend, the public key of the address is revealed. So once you’ve spent from the address, you only have the security of the elliptic curve cryptography (ie the math that protects private key from public key). Before spending from an address, you have the additional security of the hash function as the address is a double hash of the public key.
The way you describe with the xpub key is how Electrum / Electrum personal server work. I don’t think they support Omni however. It’d be interesting to look into how to add support for that. They are both Python projects.
For ERC20s I’d recommend MyCrypto. It broke off from myetherwallet and transformed itself into a desktop app instead of a web app. I think you might have to connect your hardware wallet every time, but maybe there is a way to remember the addresses as watch only.

3 Likes

This would probably work in Omni Core too:

1 Like

I’m in the process of figuring out and implementing some sort of ultimate and final best practice for all my different coins. I’m not rich yet, but I want to be prepared. :slight_smile: I actually have two Trezor T:s and I believe one of them should be the basis of it. Up until now I have not been extremely and completely careful with my keys and e.g. handled them on a machine attached to the internet, but I want to change that once and for all.

1 Like

Has anybody tried Electrum with Omni? I found reference to an Electrum plugin for the Omni protocol on the Omni blog:

I also found this:

2 Likes

Should I put my MAID on the same address I have BTC on Trezor, or should I generate a new separate address? Does the address I have MAID on have to have BTC for sending, or is it enough I have BTC in the same wallet on a different address?

To send MAID you will need BTC on the same address, so you might as well send your MAID to an address which already has BTC or will have to move the BTC there before you can move the MAID.

1 Like

I still haven’t decided whether it’s best to keep MAID on Trezor, Omniwallet or Electrum. Omniwallet has had its problems at least in the past and Omnitrezor seems abandoned. It would be good to hear about some experiences with Electrum. Version 4.0 seems close.

Electrum has been around and reliable for a long time. Omniwallet is bound to be maintained as long as Omni is around. Nobody knows the future, so try to spread risk, but if you need to keep it simple those seem good options.

1 Like

But, as far as I know, Electrum does not use, natively, the omni protocol, so it is not an acceptable solution for managing Maid.
It is possible to send omni tokens by editing the OP-RETURN of a transaction but this is not an easy way to manage this kind of tokens.
https://jochen-hoenicke.de/crypto/omni/

You can use Electrum for storage and management just like any bitcoin wallet, so long as you can access the private key for import to Omni eventually.

Also, I think there may be an Omni plugin for Electrum, but I may be wrong about that.

But Electrum derives its private keys and addresses from a seed phrase. If you uses different addresses, Electrum will use different private keys and can be quite messy to manage multiple private keys especially when you need to use an external Omni explorer because Electrum doesn’t show you how many maids you have.

Exists this version of Electrum for omni but it seems that it has not been updated for a long time.

1 Like