Exploring the idea of a free cloud hosted testnet using sn_testnet_tool

Yeah, SSH access isn’t really what I mean. It’s things like a command line interface for using their services, support for tools like Vagrant, Terraform etc…

1 Like

I’m not sure how ELK works. (Is the name still officially ELK?) What I’m trying to say is, I think it would make a lot of sense to spend BGF money on collecting logs from the community in one place that is easily accessible to the Maidsafe developers. But I’m not as convinced that it would be good to spend BGF money on paying for individual community members to run just nodes on rented platforms.

OK, but we’re in the process of getting ELK setup for the log forwarding, so I’m not too sure what you’re worried about in that respect.

Lots of test coverage could also potentially be very useful, but it will probably be more useful to test newer versions coming out, rather than just leaving nodes running for the sake of it, which I don’t think anyone was proposing. For the former incremental testing, that’s still a hosting cost to someone, so it could be that Maidsafe/BGF could cover that.

2 Likes

I’m not really worried about anything. But I think there has been some confusion in the community about setting up, running, and paying for ELK vs. running and paying for nodes (that don’t necessarily use ELK).

About ELK How to Install ELK Stack on Ubuntu - Geek Rewind

1 Like

I would agree that it wouldn’t be too useful to host nodes just for the sake of it.

These community tests that we want to get running regularly would have a real purpose, in that they would be providing test coverage to help us iterate to a launch candidate.

4 Likes

Souds like this is more or less equivalent to 1 of the 4 A1 instance that you can have for free on Oracle cloud, which I repeat, uses Terraform.
So, bottom line is, to be on the safe … side, 3 free Oracle accounts would allow tho bootstrap a testnet; that is, if the script could be split into:

account 1: 1 bootstrap node + 3 nodes
account 2: 4 nodes
account 3: 4 nodes

Each node would then have
Arm Ampere A1 OCPU
6 GB of memory
65 GB max disk space

BTW, although ELK is not really on topic here, I could look at deploying this, @chriso @Southside, if we think there’s value in there? Looks pretty straight forward.