ERC-20 Transition

New users? You mean new traders. That’s all this transition is going to do is benefit the traders and for that reason I don’t see this idea going any further than this forum topic.

Want to get new “users”? Educate people on the dangers of the current Internet and how easily they are spied on. Get a deeper understanding of the SAFE Network so you can have educated discussions with people who won’t look deeper into what it is. Share the positives of the SAFE Network. Come up with some new app idea and get people discussing that.

3 Likes

I agree. As long as there’s no functioning network, that can be put in some real life use, we can’t talk about users.
However attracting new traders is still a step in the right direction. What’s wrong with a greater trading volume and exposure?

To me greater trading volume means more manipulation. So many coins have nothing to show for their price fluctuations and just went up or down because of FUD. I’ve tried my hand at day trading crypto’s a few times but stopped because of the irrational way prices change. If I find an interesting project I buy and hodl.

1 Like

You can still tell people to go with Cryptopia.

It’s true I never bought MaidSafe on Cryptopia and most of the time I checked, the order book looked dead. ERC-20 would definitely be more comfortable to buy or sell, I think everyone agrees on this.

1 Like

That does not make any sense. Greater volume means more capital is needed to shift the price.
I don’t understand your line of thinking.

Yeah I agree with this. Developers getting in are the reasons behind the ethereum boom in the first place that did result in more getting in. But ethereum had solid technology and team behind it. Right now we can’t attract more developers regardless of the price I feel. But maybe it’ll attract more attention from the public. Still, technology should be more important than price. Price is a reflector of technology. But with that said, omni token is old and shit technology, at least at the moment. If it doesn’t take long then change it but otherwise might as well focus on development

2 Likes

Dude you want fresh wind so you can make some money. Be honest. I could give zero f***s about making money right now. I care about the technology first, currency second. And that is the way forward.

And I want to make some money, so does he, and so do you, and so does every one in the community. “Be honest”. What’s wrong with making money?

And we all agree with the order of priorities, however making money and moving forward with the technology are not mutually exclusive but complementary goals.

2 Likes

I’ve been talking to developers at various crypto/blockchain conferences. In most cases, they are developing on the Ethereum platform (even if they intend to eventually form their own chain). I ask each of them why they chose the development platform they are using. In every case, the developers replied that they chose the platform because it had

• High popularity: “it’s one of the top coins”
  • Great support: “if you have a question you can get an answer quickly”
  • Thriving community: “everyone’s talking about it and wants to be involved”

Interestingly enough, every developer also said that they are not tied to the platform they are currently using. This means that there is great opportunity for the SAFEnetwork to grow. We have an extremely passionate community. We need to think about what steps we must take to ensure that our community is also thriving (for example: Ethereum has 366K twitter followers, Sia has 96.7K, and we have 55.8K). We’re not too far behind, but there is still ground to cover. We need more people to actively build SAFE apps and excitedly talk about it.

Whether we like it or not, popularity matters. I think it’s imperative that MAID not only remains in the top 100 but actually makes it back to at least top 50 this year (preferably top 20). That’s the kind of market performance that will turn developers’ heads. While we’d like to think that people would care singularly about the underlying technology–that they would be rational–if that were the case marketing and advertising wouldn’t really exist. People respond to hype. We cannot underestimate the value a strong market position brings in terms of free and informed (enough) organic marketing through panelist discussions, conference shoutouts, and general word-of-mouth marketing. For example, I was at a crypto/blockchain conference yesterday, and they had an entire 90 minute session dedicated to the top 50 coins. In my mind, that was a missed opportunity.

There are many factors that weigh for and against an ERC-20 transition, such as when the SAFEnetwork would go live, whether hardware wallets will integrate OMNI support in the interim, and if lightning lowers transaction fees by proxy. Regardless, I think the line of thinking that says relative market position doesn’t matter is misleading at best and dangerous at worst.

10 Likes

I think the team is ramping up marketing nicely! It is like night and day since 6 months ago!

This quieter period us SAFENetwork’s time to shine. The hype coins are running out of fizz just ad the tables are starting to turn in SAFENetwork’s direction. I fully expect maidsafecoin to make ground relative to others in the coming months as steady growth walks away from others while they are contracting.

The calm between the bubbles is when the real progress is made, when devs and communities can look beyond short term bubbles eclipsing rhe steady march of established projects.

6 Likes

It’s quite sad really. The safenetwork are building a completely different technology to blockchain, yet it has to remain in the ‘top 20’ blockchain rankings to gain traction!

Be nice to see a safemarketcap in a few years I suppose.

6 Likes

Yeah look it’s not going to happen (good IMHO) so maybe focus your efforts on other things. Ciao

Did I jinx it? :rofl:

1 Like

Are we seriously being delisted from Bittrex March 9?

2 Likes

Yes it’s serious, $MAID delisted from bittrex

Everyone concerned with the de-listing should check this topic out - Any good reason for Bittrex delisting? - #36 by nicklambert

ERC20 has a great feature: It allows atomic swap between some digital currencies (including BTC).

This makes the market for exchange super free, no need for exhanges, only people.

I also would like to suggest that if possible, allow exchange MAID and EMAID in both direction, this will keep the price equally stable between them.

1 Like

If you want MAID to be a ‘top coin’ that maintains it’s position like an Ethereum, there needs to be a lot more focus on the Economy that will be enabled by Safecoin.

Maidsafecoin was probably a marketing mistake from the outset. A re-badge to Safecoin would signal that the project is approaching a launch phase.

A re-name to Safecoin for the 10% of ICO tokens that are up for trading, would clear the way to explain the future Safecoin economy without the confusing and joke inviting MAID moniker.

Maidsafe have indicated that they are formulating a Safecoin awareness strategy, priority #1 should be a re-badge.

There’s a real disconnect with MAID in the market, because it’s not obvious how many Safecoins have been minted, what maximum supply is possible, recycling, dev rewards, farming, PtP.

Unless people understand the Safecoin ecosystem and just how darn hard it will be to accumulate substantial holdings with the native earning mechanisms, then of course it will continue to be under valued.

I don’t see the fiat price going to inherent value by people suddenly waking up to what fabulous tech is coming…it will rise when people understand Safecoin scarcity.

2 Likes

Now when the bitcoin fee is low I dont see an imminent need to migrate to ERC-20. Bitcoin is for me a more secure digital blockchain than Ethereum in my opinion, I still remember when ETH was initialy hacked on release. Ethereum is a quite new technology and we may not have seen if it is fully secure yet. I don’t think we will see large price movments until beta release, regardless of BTC/Omni or ERC-20. Finaly ERC-20 won’t help delisting problems as of US regulation on securities.

6 Likes