EOS topic (Dan Larimer project)

Just want to mention I have started a forum about EOS a number of weeks ago… Francis (@frabrunelle) helped me out with setting up the discourse forum. It’s around 130 members right now.

I wasn’t really a big fan of blockchains over the last year as things became congested with transaction spam and whatever. But after watching a presentation from Dan Larimer I got excited about EOS. For those that want some more info:

• It’s a bit like Ethereum with a virtual machine on a blockchain supporting smart contracts.
  • It uses Delegate Proof Of Stake. You can vote for several miners (called Block Producers). Those 21 with the most votes are allowed to mine blocks.
  • BPs work from fast data centers.
  • A new block every 500 ms. The idea is that a decentralized exchange feels like a regular exchange because of the speed.
  • No transaction costs. Stake a bit of EOS on your account and you’re good.
  • The EOS virtual machine scales horizontally. Add more cores and the thing becomes faster.
  • 1 blockchain allows for hundreds of thousands of transactions per second.
  • There’s a testnet coming in February with support for linking multiple eos blockchains. Hop from 1 chain to the other in only 2 seconds.
  • EOS is based on the Bitshares “graphene” engine.
  • The whole thing goes live in June this year.

Whiteaper

Delegated Proof Of Stake Whitepaper

Video of Dan presenting the whole idea

What I like about the project is the speed. This thing can really support the next Twitter or Instagram. Instead of being in the hands of some small companies it’s now in the hands of the community and some code.

Another thing I really like is the fact that it’s coming at the moment Ethereum and Bitcoin have reached their limit. Transaction costs are way too high and Raiden and the Lightning network take longer then expected. So hopefully people can store their cryptokitties on EOS without any delays in the near future.

2 Likes