End of Free Speech Online

You really believe that? What about those who did not have a high social profile to start with.

You seem dreadfully keen on “repercussions” but seem to want to distance yourself from “cancel culture”

Some dichotomy there, no?

Please do not try to put words into my mouth.

A std tactic of the cancel culture afficionados of whom you claim “not to be a fan”

Just because I disagree with decisions to fire people over widely held political views does not mean they shouldn’t be allowed to do so. No one should be forced to be with anyone. It’s called freedom of association.

If you believe there is a line where repercussions should be allowed for speech, then where is that line and who defines it? That’s a dangerous precedent to set, as well, giving the government that kind of power.

giving the entrenched groups who control the governmants and media that power.

#FixedItForYa

There are plenty of very popular media personalities and voices that speak out against everything you have talked about in the US. I agree “mainstream” or “legacy” media is largely pushing one point of view on certain issues, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t dissenting voices or they are disallowed in society. Once again, the UK, Canada, the EU, Australia, etc., all have hate speech laws, or laws against saying or displaying certain things with actual punishments from the government, up to and including jail time. The US does not.

Is the system 100% perfect? Obviously not, but it’s a far cry better than the rest of the modern world when it comes to the principles of free speech. That was entirely my point, and I don’t feel like you’ve made a dent in that point at all.

Only on paper, only for those who want to try to claim some superiority on behalf of the US.
The reality as always is considerably more sordid.
As I said above if you want to dance on the head of a tautological pin, carry on and try not to hurt yourself when you fall off. Please dont let cold reality intrude on your warm feelings of murrican superiority.

Are you a lawyer?

Do you deny what I said that you can be arrested for certain speech or displays in these countries? Do you acknowledge that can’t happen in the US? I’m not sure how the ability to be arrested for such things is not self evidence of being worse for your rights.

america is all about free speech unless you leak top secret things and then you are actually a terrorist. how is that free speech

2 Likes

Are you saying countries should have no recourse to protect their information?

Anyone in those jobs with access to that type of information is well aware of the restrictions of their rights that they voluntarily agree to.

I have to be honest, if this is the best you can come up with, that’s pretty sad, and still doesn’t disprove my point since literally every country does this.

1 Like

Really? You have not been honest from the start of this conversation.

Where information means evidence of our war crimes and corruption - but thats OK, You are American and rules are for other people.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Your hypocrisy is strong.

1 Like

You haven’t been honest a single second of this conversation and have never answered my questions.

Does or does not the UK, Australia, Canada, the EU, etc. have government mandated restrictions on speech and arrest people, fine, jail, etc.? We aren’t talking about special circumstances like classified material (which all those countries also punish release of), we are talking about the every day Joe.

Does the US have those same restrictions on speech? Yes or no? YES OR NO? I rest my case.

1. Yes
  2. For all practical purposes the answer is an emphatic YES.

So crawl off your moral high horse, you have ZERO morals as your recent “debating” has shown.

You sure you are not a lawyer?

Please show how this is at all true.

cancel culture and the suppression of the BDS movement,

Little point in continuing to “discuss” with you as you rely entirely on semantics and refuse to deal with the real world.

I will ask for the final time, are you a lawyer?

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer.

There is a major difference between government and private action against speech. The fact that you can’t differentiate the two is ridiculous. Talk about dancing. Not to mention, all those things still happen in other countries, so the US still has a leg up in freedom of speech since the government isn’t also piling on, therefore making my original point, which you have still not disputed.

The BDS movement isn’t suppressed, it just isn’t the primary viewpoint of Americans at large. You can talk about it all day long and not get in trouble for it. One of the biggest YouTube media outlets, the Young Turks, are huge rooters of Palestine. The NYT has published editorials and stories that are pro Palestine. The Huffington Post is pro Palestine and a pretty big organization. We have multiple Congressmen that are outspoken about Palestine. In what way are they being suppressed? Being suppressed means they are either being forcibly made to stop or their message is being hidden or concealed. Neither of those are happening.

Do you believe in freedom of association?
You said you believe that you should be able to have repercussions from speech. So, what are those repercussions, when can they be imposed, and by whom? How would you force someone to associate with another in terms of employment?
Should educators be allowed to teach your children whatever they want with no ability to stop them?

The UK is hideously censored, so is Europe and it is about to get MUCH worse. That online harms bill is a danger to everyone. Those criminals are the ones doing harm whilst parading as being protectors.

You REALLY like the sound of your own voice - Shame its only yourself you are convincing with your half-truths and denial of actual reality.

I said it before, I’ll say it again. Enjoy your pathetic red white and blue fantasy.

PS Delighted to hear Albright the child-killer is dead. Only 30 yrs too late.

The fact you are unable or unwilling to answer questions about your own beliefs show you have no consistent logical thought process for your worldview.

No it just means I have better things to do on a sunny afternoon than waste my time on thick supremacist Yanks.

Yet, you wasted a ton of time responding with your inane comments and personal barbs instead of making a logically sound argument. The US government doesn’t impose censorship on its citizens for normal communications. All other countries do. Full stop. Argument over.