And we will find out too But thankfully this is easier to fix than a blockchains difficulty.
Interesting example. You nailed it with being bandwidth “costs” since netflix traffic now is all about caching.
Netflix installed “caching” servers in all the major ISPs connect points in Australia to handle the traffic.
And I’d expect on SAFE that most of the netflix traffic will be cached all over the place.
So on the current economics proposal we would see
- no one being paid for the bandwidth consumed (potential problem)
- Nigh on all cached in SAFE & the farmers getting very little GETs for the amount of netflix traffic. (maybe < 0.01% based on AU statistics since most is cached)
- Most content will be uploaded multiple times to cater for the various formats/resolutions that netflix provide. So that latest James Bond movie might see 4 to 8 or so uploads in the various resolutions & quality.
What does this mean
- The people running the nodes end up with maybe 50% of their cache being netflix type content
- The farmers only get the occasional GET for those services
- The content is delivered with only 1 or 2 hops (reducing overall bandwidth across network)
- Most of what netflix pays takes a long time before it is used up paying farmers because their content is rarely farmed being cached because of the worldwide demand
Will this mean their PUTs payments don’t cover farming rewards? Hard to say if and by how much.
After, in my rough analysis/view, the cost not being as bad as it first seems, netflix is a bad example. Why? Because
- the licenses they have with the media companies are very restrictive and do not allow cross border supply of content. Even if the same content is licensed for viewing within the USA and licensed for viewing in Australia. And that is because they charge different rates for different countries.
- thus netflix is not using SAFE anytime soon because they have no knowledge of where in the world their customers are. IP addresses/payment systems cannot resolve this accurately enough which is why netflix does not use them now. They rely on identifying VPN exit points.