Drop the Google Hangouts?

Think I kinda want to start this thread back up again.

New Proposal:

• Have a hangout session for new feature announcement’s/ new example projects(say a week after release)

As for example’s this should give people enough time to get familiar with the example’s to then ask questions on the topic. As for announcement’s these would serve a different purpose to example-project discussion.

start-of-rant
Today’s hangout session was kind of a nightmare. Guys were all working on getting the vault manager / client sorted to get pushed to “next” branch, while getting documentation added and had to jump into the hangout. Not too sure if this was of any benefit to anyone. The audio quality of the google hangout doesn’t seem to help much with this either.

Thinking maybe it’s time to give the “mumble hangout session” a go. Might serve a better mode of communication having a clear audio line than a distorted vid chat that isnt really that interactive for two way comms.

end-of-rant

2 Likes

sounds good to me

2 Likes

I vote for mumble for sure. Google hangouts are OK and we should use them as an announce only mechanism. so maybe Nick and I could do one for the Amsterdam trip and who we met and what it may mean for the community etc.

For dev hangouts I agree mumble would be better. We will order some more headsets tomorrow (wired, no batteries to run out) and go for it. There is a mumble server at office.maidsafe.net and we can use that for hangouts and general interaction when people get stuck with any part of the examples or test networks etc.

We will get there for sure folks, sorry about the hassle.

1 Like

@Viv and @dirvine

I will miss your funny accents and dashing good looks, but I think you are right. The “mumble hangout session” should be ideal for one-on-one questions regarding development.

As for the general community. A simple Dev Diary on maidsafe.org will suffice. If you are feeling more star trekky, then call it a captain’s log, or whatever. Maybe create a new topic on “Development.” See example below.

Dev Diary Weekly Updates:

5/19/14: The Google Hangout audio failed today, and many viewers had to read lips. While it was a challenge, we were able to get 4 mins to update everyone about example 0. Here’s a summary as follows…

3 Likes

I too will miss your dashing good accents and funny looks…

3 Likes

I feel my acting career took a similar path to Ronald Villiers’.

5 Likes

I added a SAFE builders channel inside office.maidsafe.net mumble server. I’ll try to hang out in there when I’m online. Feel free to say hi.

2 Likes

The channel I created seemed to have been removed. Not sure what happened there. Shall we do a separate server for builders, @dirvine?

Not sure either I will ask @Ross about that. I Think theres a ton of b/w available on it so no need to go to any hassle. This one should be plenty fine for now. I just added SF Pod and seems to work, I Am not sure how that happened Paige. We may need to lock these down somehow if it happens again.

Yeah using this server should be fine for just now. I think Mumble has a create temp channel feature for non-admins and as soon as the creator logs off the channel goes with them, not sure if this is what happened this time? @ioptio I can add you as an admin if you are registered (to register - choose - Self > Register) and you send me your username.

Thanks @Ross! I see the safepod channels. Same username as on here for me. I’ll just hang out in the SF room and keep it open in the background when I’m online if anyone wants to say hello. :slight_smile:

@ioptio you are now a mumble admin :smile:

I wish to offer an alternative video/audio/3D online meeting platform, in my opinion better than Hangouts. Those who want to take a look are welcome to watch or participate in the first “Unblocked, Unchained” show tomorrow June 7 (noon EDT, 5pm London, 6pm EU-CEST). It will be streamed to Youtube via Hangouts from a virtual studio. Those who would like an invitation to “be there” in the virtual studio, please contact me.

We are trying to set up a Skype group if anyone wants to join : D

https://forum.autonomi.community/t/open-skype-group-for-maidsafe-discussions/319/last

Hi!
My answer is: No.
I would like to find out more quickly what others think. Applications like OpinionStage and Loomio can help us vote.