Dream machine build

Thanks for the proposals, but I’m actually trying to go fanless rather than just silent. A lot has to do with the case, which I haven’t really decided on yet. I also believe AMD might be better, especially for Linux.

Its mainly up to the cpu+motherboard and expected for servers and not consumer.

Just wrap in tinfoil. /jk it’d overheat and not do much else LOL

My new system had the option for ECC for the memory, but its slower speed memory and no pretty leds. I did some research and most is old and the stats showed that if your mem stick is going to have bit flips then it’ll get a lot. This skews the stats so it seems bit flips happens a lot more often across the board. But the study show most sticks never had even one flip and the other 4% went from one or two over a long period or had like 100’s to 1000’s. It was something like <1% of sticks had a real problem.

That was a decade ago sort of thing and modern sticks are much better after reading the available info.

This was an important consideration seeing as I am putting in 8 sticks in my new system

I got a couple of those HDD caddies where you plug in the naked HDD and plug the caddy into a USB port. Mine are USB3 and works a treat.

I got one of those for my new system. With PCI 4.0 it will give 7Gbytes/sec transfer which in real life will give faster program & swap loads compared to a PCI 3 or cheaper SSD. But do not expect huge improvements with normal use other than program loads and swapping.

1 Like

Do you think running Qubes with a couple of VM’s and basic gaming will be at all feasible on a near future APU that will be released for AM5, without a separate GPU altogether, or is this just a stupid idea?

What about running a router as a VM?

I think that would depend on what games ( how demanding ), and what fps you’re expecting from it.

Qubes doesn’t really need a powerful GPU. Unless you want it for gaming or media creation, you don’t need a separate GPU.

I’m running Qubes fine on a 2015 laptop with an APU and 16GB of ram.

3 Likes

I’ve hardly played around with VM’s at all before, but apparently you have to assign specific CPU cores to each. What about the graphics processing part of the APU chip, though? With separate physical GPU’s you could assign one to a gaming VM, but I have no idea how that works with an APU.

I don’t game much, but I want to have the option to do so if I feel the urge. First person shooters and driving simulation with fast movements are not my thing, but I like e.g. Civilization VI.

Basically I’m trying to “centralize” as much of the household’s possible computing needs into one unit that is easy to clean and put new components in if I want to.

It will work as long as you set up your networking to it properly. I am assuming as a router for the main machine and VMs as actual ethernet ports you don’t have.

Be slower than a separate one but will be good for VMs as the VM manager is a router of sorts anyhow.

The advantage (and really the main reason for doing a router in VM) is that you can have a firewall running as well protecting your VMs and main machine applications. Only issue is if some exploit is found for vm manager and/or host system OS.

1 Like

Well, I’m not Snowden, so there is no need for extreme security. I mainly want to be able to tinker, learn, and try new things without buying separate hardware boxes for every crazy new idea I may have.

2 Likes

Also leave the firewall on the host running would be best

1 Like

Yeah, and VPN. So a solid and stable system that doesn’t really change as a base, and them some VM’s I can play around with, and also test things before copying them to base. Running Qubes within Qubes could be educational.

Fun fact - even good memory will have random bit flips due to hits from cosmic particles. Not much of a problem for ordinary PC, it doesnt happen often and most of data in RAM is not critical, but it is one of the reasons ECC is used in systems where uptime is crtical (virtualization servers, big routers,…).

Oh yes they can but no reliable data on actual problems from cosmic particles and the survey was on a Google server farm with 1000’s of servers and they pulled the ECC error reports over a period of 2 years from memory (maybe 3 years) so even cosmic particles definitely did not cause bit flips in all those memory sticks, and maybe in the few % that experienced any flips.

1 Like