Download it, build it, try to break it

New release!!! Download it, build it, try to break it.

7 Likes

the issue I have with the way things work now is that I launch a public comnet as that would require to use DO with one VPS per node and then invite people to join.

I used to be able to launch 1 node per thread in my system add 1 node per thread in a second machine I have and it would be a valid public comnet.

I think the change was to not deal with NAT for now. I wish there will be action on this issue so I can play with all in my favorite free time activity, launching smoothnets for free from home…

1 Like

Im not going to get too upset at the lack of NAT for now.
AIUI there are changes coming around qp2p and rustls and perhaps the dust needs to settle around these before it is feasible to work further on NAT - Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
So for the next wee while I expect to be using testnet locally to look at DBCs to gain a deeper understanding.

I’d also like to explore the verify-nodes and rpc-service features.

@joshuef @qi_ma do you have any guidance here, any particular aspects you want validated/hammered?

is safeup ready?

Not the last time I looked

willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safeup$ target/release/safeup client
Installing safe for x86_64-unknown-linux-musl at "/home/willie/.safe/cli"...
Error: Release has no client asset for platform x86_64-unknown-linux-musl

Just working through testnet. Whereas run-baby-fleming started the local testnet for you and sign you in, testnet doesn’t seem to do that. Do I need to switch to a network? If so what?

user@user:~/.safe/node/local-test-network/safenode-genesis$ safe networks
+----------+-----------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Networks |                       |                       |                                                    |
|----------+-----------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------|
| Current  | Network name          | Genesis Key           | Network map info                                   |
|----------+-----------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------|
| *        | PublicKey(0be6..282b) | PublicKey(0be6..282b) | Local: "/home/user/.safe/network_contacts/default" |
+----------+-----------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+

When you say it signed you in, what do you mean by that?

I’m working on it just now.

3 Likes

After running run-baby-fleming you were able to interact with the baby fleming network and could immediately start uploading files etc. After running testnet I have 30 nodes running, apparently, but cannot interact with the network. safe files put hangs. safe networks shows no networks.

2 Likes

I have been regularly cleaning out ~/.safe/networks_contacts as otherwise it grows unwieldy in short order at this rate.

If you have an empty ~/.safe/networks_contacts then it should Just Work - as shown by the asterisk in your screenshot above.

What does safe networks check show?
When you run safe networks sections does the PublicKey(0***…) match?

What do you get from safe keys create --for-cli?

What do you get from safe keys create --for-cli?

Was the step I was missing I think. Gracias @Southside

2 Likes

I don’t think run-baby-fleming generated keys, but I could be wrong about that.

testnet copies the section tree from the genesis node to the network contacts location. We could add an option to make it clear out existing network contacts.

me as a photorealistic cartoon hacker frustrated that I cant make a free as in free beer smoothnet

1 Like

Not for DBCs etc definitely - but you didn’t have to go through that step to upload files. I was starting with a clean slate, BTW, deleted ~/.safe before running testnet.

Not sure what the problem was but keys create --for-cli seemed to fix it.

Is there a reason why you wouldn’t want to generate keys for the CLI? If not then surely that should be part of the process?

1 Like

I don’t think this is an effect of testnet. Something has perhaps changed in the network.

I’m guessing that safe keys create on its own was useful when we had a GUI but now obv CLI is the default. We could call for it to be renamed/made default but its all going to change anyway when we get auth back or some other method of managing identities.
A bit OT sorry

Nothing especially around those feats.

You could verify the verifications perhaps, but I think it’s reasonably solid.

1 Like

And another release :slight_smile:

today I have mostly been doing wget on the release pages to various Pis and other devices and now there is more…

3 Likes

The hits just keep coming

Thanks @Josh for showing me how to use @chriso’s safeup tool, I now have 4 x86 machines and 5 SBCs to update. And then hopefully I can finally get back to playing around with DBCs.

4 Likes

Btw, that branch of safeup has been merged now.

Just note that it’s not really working on Windows at the moment. I’m gonna sort that out tomorrow.

4 Likes