Doesn't the concept of SAFE "APP"s bypass the security of SAFE?

I do think you have a point, but then I also can’t help but think back to other recent posters (like @monty) who asked a lot of probing questions and created a lot of great dialogue precisely because of their respectful and humble manner.

It certainly does our credibility no favours to react with emotion when people are a bit impolite. It’s par-for-the-course in the world of crypto to be rude isn’t it? Lots of young blokes, big egos and a lot of money involved. We can’t expect everyone to conform to our own social standards. Although, if anyone wants to learn about SAFE they obviously do themselves no favours by biting the hand that feeds them info. I can see why this spiralled. People tried to be nice/helpful, they were met with an entitled and antagonistic attitude, so they basically raised an eyebrow, flared their nostrils and moved on.

I guess the question is ‘who really loses out in this kind of situation?’. SAFE isn’t dependent upon people’s impressions of it as much as all these store-of-value propositions. SAFE will be judged on what it achieves technically. I don’t think it matters much if a few people get a warped impression, it will likely be their loss at the end of the day. It’s much less likely to impact the fate of SAFE than it is to affect the fate of the person asking questions.

tl;dr - We can do better, but meh, it’s their loss :smirk:

10 Likes

Well said Jabs old chap [emphasis on the old ;-)] The fella cheesed me off with even worse attitude on the riot SAFE chat if I may say so, and I do, dash-it. So I’ve taken to ignoring him altogether.

Others there are persevering, for now at least, but it is indeed his loss IMO. I gain tho, by observing my reactions and choosing my response and having more time to code :slight_smile:. I didn’t need to get rude with him at all.

I agree that some of his underlying queries are decent and useful - one has set me to wonder how we could eliminate the need for login credentials. I think we should think about that, as an option, but something which would be sufficient for many at least in a default / low security account, for example to sync day to day documents, settings and application configurations across devices. A separate level of authentication could be used to protect higher value information such as SafeCoin wallet, confidential information, or user IDs adopted for very privacy sensitive activity (whistle blowing , membership of persecuted groups/forums for example). I haven’t thought much about it because I’m focusing on my demo for alpha2, but I hope to come back to it if nobody picks it up.

I must apologise though to all here, for it was I who persuaded him to seek answers on this forum. [:microphone: drop]

10 Likes

I applied for a patten with WPTO and the app will used in the field of Medicine so this is what this network is made for ! I am new and learning. But Iam getting to know the community and also being based offshore or where ever the legal is gone its like signing a wavier to go scuba or ski diving its a trust buddy system. Hope my app will save someone some day

3 Likes

Dear Mr Happy can I book a tutoring session with you sometime this week. Thank you Mark!

Later in the week or even weekend I am just doing offline reading now thanks

I’m flattered you would like that but I’m afraid it’s not something I want to offer, and I can’t answer everything anyway - I just share what I understand when I can.

Asking questions on the forum works well I think, because then you get answers from whoever can answer them, and others can learn from the discourse.

I agree thanks your so right !

I originally liked @EagerSAFEUser"s OP because I have not been on the forum for a while and found his/her questions valid. I did not get the impression of poor intentions, rudeness or demanding answers. After reading the reaction/response of @neo who I trust, I change my position. However, not every new comer to the forum will have the same regard for seasoned members like @neo and they may leave with a negative overall impression. Although I agree with @Jabba that it is their loss, I feel that until we add a FAQ on the website where we can direct new comers or people who don’t want or have the time to read through endless posts, we should try harder not to come across as being hostile towards answering FAQ’s even from trolls.

8 Likes

Wow. Entitled much? So far, I’ve found people on this forum to be really patient, friendly, and willing to answer questions. Your response is kind of like asking Bill Gates to explain the nuts and bolts of Microsoft to you when all you need to do is read the copious amounts of info that’s already been written on the topic.

1 Like

I don´t know, I don´t see how the first answers to OP didn´t already carry passive aggression. I mention this because this is what drives people from forums. Imho everyone should be allowed to ask “dumb” questions without being called out in a “you are not allowed to ask questions because you didn´t pass enough time on the forum” way…

I agree, the issue was that this post was one of an awful lot near the same time. It was an explosion of questions, but many were very poorly worded and antagonistic. Just a shame really, but it’s the net and we do expect a certain amount of that, but when the forum gets a lot of posts with similar attitudes it is frustrating. I think you seen the frustration but not the cause. I should perhaps treat each topic individually, a good lesson really.

In the end I hope the person does read up a bit more and ask more questions, but without the jibes of course :smiley:

12 Likes

I didn´t see these posts, so that´s probably why I found the reactions improper. It´s better to treat topics individually, but at the same time I can understand that patience isn´t endless so sometimes we simply don´t react in an ideal way. Quite human I would say. :wink:

6 Likes

I suggest you take a look at the last few days on SAFE chat (see if you can spot him :slight_smile:) and let us know what you think.

2 Likes

These baffling replies have convinced me that this is yet another community whose main (and perhaps only) interest has become to uphold some sort of “social hierarchy”, and it sickens me. What the hell is your problem? Did I create thousands of topics asking what SAFE is and what you had for breakfast? No. I created AN EXTREMELY SMALL amount of threads (the forum wouldn’t even let me make even a “decent” amount of them), very well written, asking questions and trying to get a feel of how things are going. And now I know: there will never be any stable release of SAFE, because you will just endlessly discuss how users aren’t conforming to some idiotic “invisible rules” instead of caring about getting this thing off the ground already.

1 Like

I’m a new(ish) guy here who has had disagreements with some of the mainstays. However, message boards are notoriously difficult to judge intentions and tone. I tend not to take things personally when people disagree with me, and don’t try to read into answers people give me as being condescending.

In the end, they answered your question. Yes, it is a concern, but there is not much to be done about it. The job of this project is to create the infrastructure for people to create the apps on top of, not to police the apps for the user, just as Microsoft, Linux, Android, etc doesn’t stop you from installing or running nefarious things on your systems. In a project like this, built on security and anonymity, there is a measure of personal responsibility that has to be used. Maybe that means its not for absolutely everyone, but most people can do minor navigation and searching to figure out if something is nefarious or not.

1 Like

I don´t see why I should do that. It wouldn´t change my assessment of the situation. Trolling aside, I believe requests like this should be treated as such (or left unanswered) and not as a platform to cope with other, personal issues.

EDIT: this, of course, goes for both sides

MaidSafe is distinct from the community. Very few of the devs (just David really) post anything other than testing-dialogue in the updates thread. You can’t really accuse MaidSafe’s core team of 20 employees of any crippling character flaws, or predict their fate.

I’m not sure where you see a social hierarchy? People were just commenting that if you’re too lazy to research and want to be spoon-fed info then you should at least be more courteous to the people giving up their time to answer your questions, which have all been asked many times by many people before.

You could probably have learned a lot more a lot faster by typing your questions into ‘search’ and reading what you found. I’m surprised you think that’s a weird way to do things. It seems far more efficient to me. There will be answers to questions that you had not yet even thought to ask yet. There is a lot to learn in this project.

I’ve got nothing against you, your questions are all reasonable, but I agree that your tone doesn’t inspire anyone to want to help you learn.

No one here wants or needs to sell you anything.

10 Likes

No reason you should visit the chat unless you are interested - I thought you and others might be interested to learn more about the person we are dealing with.

I agree that taking the forum in isolation it is debatable whether the responses were appropriate.

I came here and read his topics after having given up trying to help this person in chat because of constant carping and superior attitude, which led me to stop responding to them (and why I didn’t respond here either).

Even with that behind me, I was a bit surprised at the responses here, until I saw that there were multiple topics, including the same insulting tone, albeit very much toned down here compared to chat. But I still can see why people responded the way they did, even those who are normally very patient and tolerant of rudeness and impatience here

5 Likes

I think you can see that this has nothing to do with “dumb questions” really.
I have seen loads and loads of “dumb questions” asked on this forum, in a respectful and humble manner, or even quite neutral, and they have always gotten very respectful and informative answers by old-time members and newer ones as well.

This is what I have also always seen people being really amazed about this community for too; the kind helpfulness, even from the CEO himself, at all times of week and day, very promptly.

This person has all himself to blame for not being warmly welcomed (but it is very typical that he of course does not recognise that for one second. Uuh… Have you not seen that a thousand times before?). There are quite a few people here that agree that he simply was behaving poorly. We can call it being rude, self centred, what ever. It was just not a nice style. So what, this person does not really understand social behaviour?
A perfect indicator of poor social understanding is when you politely inform someone that he is stretching the boundaries, and he lashes out on you, like this guy did. There is not one speck of humbleness in the responses of this person, he actually reminds a bit of nemgun. It is the same type of personality, and frankly that kind of personality is a real DRAIN of energy. He is not contributing what so ever. Of course he can ask valid questions, but it’s not like he is asking unique questions that make him so valuable. The same questions are asked by other people too, in a much more generous way (i.e. generous as not self absorbed energy drainer).

I did see a few overly harsh responses to this guy, but they came way after. I don’t think those responses were necessary (at all). All that is necessary is really to politely and firmly inform people when they push the limits. If they keep pushing, then it’s bye bye and their loss. Otherwise it’s all water under the bridge, IMO.

4 Likes

Hi I honestly think there has just been a misunderstanding here.

You’re new and you’ve just been doing things differently than we like to see.

You see, when someone new comes here, our community prefers that you search the topics, read them to get up to speed and then…

comment on those threads, with any further questions, after reading them.

Instead, you seem to have opened lots of new threads with basic questions, which we’re just a bit not used to, so you are meeting some resistance.

But I think it’s unfair for us to expect all newcomers to know this, so I apologise for everyone’s resistance to you.

We really are a nice community, as long as you don’t make people on here worry that you’re here to try to post a lot of alarmist (and already answered) questions to make us look bad.

I think your intentions are completely innocent, just a bit nooby haha and nobody can blame you for that. I think I made the same mistake when I started here. And I wished others saw it that way as well.

Hope you stick around! We’re all EagerSAFEusers here, in the end anyway!!

1 Like