Developments in crypto to improve the foundations of Internet communications

A series of lightning talks, totaling 60 minutes. The information is interesting to observe, when you know the future like us guys. The mind boggles, just how many projects SAFE will render obselete and the sheer number of brains that will be re-focussed on Project SAFE.

Got SafeCoin? :slight_smile:

Trusting servers you can’t touch by Ryan Lackey:
Servers for Internet applications are usually deployed at a distance from both the end users of the service and the administrators of the system, often controlled by third parties. Even when they’re hardware vs. virtualized/cloud, it’s rare for admins to have direct physical control of the servers. Yet, most applications require a high degree of trust in the integrity of servers. We describe a variety of technologies and solutions to this problem, and a framework to best protect your applications and your users.

dename: decentralized, secure, usable PKI by Andreas Erbsen:
A major challenge for private online communication is public key distribution. Trusted authorities have failed to be secure, and the web of trust has failed to build the network effect it gravely requires to be usable. This talk proposes a new PKI system built on a cryptographic consensus protocol. A set of directory servers updates and signs a mapping from public keys to names. Anyone can run their own server, strengthening the security guarantee for all clients that know it. We have an open-source implementation that can be easily integrated with systems that currently rely on manual key verification, including secure
messaging, host authentication, and software distribution.

New development in OTR by Jurre van Bergen
Jurre van Bergen will speak about new developments in the world of off-the-record messaging. What is going on? Where are we going? In addition we will address frequently answered questions by developers and users.

Secure email communication - LEAP Encryption Access Project & Pixelated
This presentation will introduce two new secure communication tools under development that help guarantee the right to digitally whisper – LEAP and Pixelated.

Dark Mail by Ladar Levision
Since Ladar Levison shuttered Lavabit during the summer of 2013, he has been working to solve the email privacy problems that made it technologically possible for an American court to demand unfettered access to the email messages for all of Lavabit’s worldwide customers. After a year of hard work, the Dark Internet Mail Environment (DIME) is a standards based, collaborative effort to create an elegant technical solution capable of protecting the privacy of everyone’s email. It is focused on making end-to-end email encryption automatic, while providing message confidentiality, author verification, and minimizing the leakage of metadata. DIME capable systems reduce the amount of trust users must place in their service provider. Automating the key exchange process while keeping the system resistant to manipulation by sophisticated threats is an ongoing challenge. This talk offers a compressed discussion of the DIME standards, highlighting key portions and will be followed by a project update, where we hope to showcase a DIME capable client and server implementation.

TLS :heart: DNS :heart: Tor by equinox
Replacing 100 CA hierarchies with the single DNS hierarchy, and how the bite reflex against the latter is coming at the cost of less secure identities.

5 Likes

This is impressive, as SAFE replaces most of these systems. The server it doesn’t replace completely (the computational side) … yet.

I actually meant to start a thread on this protocol the other day. I’m thinking it would be interesting to create a bridge (that has to run on a “traditional server”, sadly), that will allow people to link a safe PMID with a DNS email address. Unfortunately I think it will result in things getting encrypted twice. So a mail client would need to handle that.

3 Likes

I think we should have a discussion about creating bridges. They seem inevitable, but would also I think compromise anonymity, so we need to assess the general risk, and be clear about specific risks where possible.

Perhaps also burn those bridges after a set period!

3 Likes

I’ts an interesting area that David plays a tight hand with.

How will SAFEcoins be bid for by fiat as an example?

Will having exchanges outside of the network, defeat the very purpose of the network…data security, anonymity etc…if so then indeed a bridge into SAFEnetwork exchanges from intermediary’s are required and that traditionally involves significant fees

Maybe something like Ripple could play a part here, as it’s primarily a system for moving fiat around:

Some banks are using Ripple Labs’ cryptocurrency network for international transfers. Some Federal Reserve district banks are looking at how the technology might streamline the Fed’s interbank payments system

But the question remains, what is the bridge mechanism? I find it confusing because of the p2p nature of the network i.e if it’s a network of clients and we need to connect to the fiat world…that world is generally a client/server client/mainframe type system.

i.e

Ingress Traffic: Network traffic that originates from outside of the networks routers and proceeds toward a destination inside of the network.

Egress Traffic: Network traffic that begins inside of a network and proceeds through its routers to a destination somewhere outside of the network.

Maybe the brains over in Montreal have the secret knowledge they can impart :books:

It’s possible to make a client application that makes calls to one network, and also in another network.

This reminds me of the days of bridging one broker api from one platform for another broker api in another platform.

What was done is a third application that could make trades on one platform to also be able to make trades on another platform.

So, in the case of stellar to safecoin,

the client would need a stellar address and a safecoin address,

and then the client can make transfers in stellars between 2 parties and transfer safecoin between two parties

so person 1:
0 stellar
100 safecoin

person 2:
100 stellar
0 safecoin

person 1 buys 100 stellar with 100 safecoin

new picture:
person 1:
0 stellar
100 safecoin

person 2:
100 stellar
0 safecoin

the software will make transfer in stellar
and make transfer in safecoin
simultaneously.

for example…

2 Likes

Bridging, and then burning those bridges, well said @happybeing

Chris @chrisfostertv I’d love it if you looked our new ePlug Whitepaper over and lmk what you think. Reading your threads, you seem very savvy on what the mesh will need to become and how we’re [all] working so hard to get it there too.

MaidSafe will play a MAJOR component in the embedded world.

Thank You :slight_smile:
-ken (http://kenCode.de/projects)