Dev Update & 2nd Test Network Release :safe: 8th March 2016

Was looking at this Electron website. There’s a link to this project called “Friends”:

Looks quite cool. It’s a bit like Slack they say. I wonder if the Devs used this as a basis for the messaging App.

3 Likes

looks like it would be pretty straightforward to grab from github and plug in the API for SAFE as the backend…hmmm… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not that straightforward, it has webrtc baked in.You might be able to abstract https://github.com/moose-team/friends-swarm/blob/master/swarm.js. I have been on the lookout for a messaging app with an abstracted backend, but most things (e.g. mattermost) are tied to their backend. A better project might be an XMPP proxy.

5 Likes

Oh, yeah…that is true…dang…the wtbrtc really throws a wrench in it…I have seen a few bootstrap based UIs for messaging that may be a bit more manageable but still have a back end built for client/server type setups…(imagine that! LOL!)…hopefully the devs are ahead of the curve on this one!

1 Like

A good starting point for more easily portable apps are things like CouchApps (less) and noBackend apps (more so).

1 Like

I agree that nobackend apps would be ideal…but they are extremely hard to find…everything I tend to see is a platform to “Build a noBackend app with Firebase” or the like, which is essentially…a hosted backend…lol.

All the nosql and couch like products seem to be overly complex for something like SAFE as they have temporary or limited storage on the device or file system and then require a sync to a mothership (servers!!!..GRRRR!)

I also see a TON of sites builders and app builders that lock you into deploying into their cloud. What I can not seem to find is just a barebones frontend that links to an API and is backend agnostic…which is curious because mobile and APIs are so dang popular!..and don’t even get me started on local file and cross domain restrictions (thank you HTML5!!!) lmao! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

MaidSafe And What It Might Mean For Digital Asset Management: MaidSafe And What It Might Mean For Digital Asset Management – Digital Asset Management News

4 Likes

Don’t forget - when the safe API is ready, you will be able to GET/PUT data directly to the safe network via javascript. The mothership will be the safe network itself!

4 Likes

I can not flipping wait!! Woohoo!!

2 Likes

If anybody would like to discuss this article further a separate post was in progress.

1 Like

I just realised that you don’t actually have to sign into the Safe launcher to just view sites on the safe network, you can just start the launcher and have it running / waiting for you to add your login details…

8 Likes

Took me a awhile to figure this out as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the launcher will always be a separate app that needs to be open and running somewhere or if the features or function of it will be able to be built/wrapped directly into an app in the future?

1 Like

Perfect for the FAQ. I will add it.

2 Likes

Launcher will be stand alone. It’s like tor launcher. You simply run it, and leave it in the background. Any apps will hook to the launcher.

2 Likes

The launcher is open source, so nothing would stop you to include the same functionality in any other software. It’s just not the suggested use case, because it’s better to have a single trusted component instead of the mess when who knows what’s happening in the background with all the different apps that connect to the safe network with your credentials. Also, convenience: you have to login only once.

By the way, this Launcher will be just a much loved prototype, and mods will start popping up soon after the “final” MVP. We’re no longer using Mosaic for browsing the web either, right? Some of these “renegade” launchers will give you multi-account login, some will have super cool plugin support, others will just try to cheat you out of your coins, or sell you prominent landmarks. I expect Windows X will have their own “launcher” with Live account integration and the full blessing of the NSA, who knows why :scream_cat:

5 Likes

Hello guys,

I have tried to upload a sample website but I get an “address unreachable” error message in my brower.
I have tried with and without the web proxy server in the launcher settings but it does not make a difference.
What can I do?

Thank you

1 Like

Did you set the .pac in your browsers network settings? Let me know and we’ll move on from there.

3 Likes

Thank you Tonda, I have setup the proxy with the .pac and now it works.
I had assumed everything was plug n’play and did not even worry reading the guide!
Thanks for your help.
Now I have plenty of questions that I will ask in the appropriate section…

4 Likes

Happy to help. :slight_smile: Let me know if you need any more assistance.

3 Likes