Desktop Wallpapers

I have finished checking about half of my wallpapers creations that removed 3 that were under a Copyright, but that was a clear minority, 12 were found on Free stock sites or just under generic wallpapers without any known author.

Thank you for your contributions everyone, I will finish checking the rest of these today or tomorrow, so they can be SAFE for use and re-use by all.

8 Likes

Be nice if you could dig one or two references/links up for all of us to read about this scammy practice

3 Likes

I have read through some of those results and not found some that were using “Free” images, the second link was about a blog that someone uploaded an image to his/her site, no mention that it was a Free one or not.

I have already removed 3 images out of around 15 check, so far, that were found on Stock Image sites, whether they were free or not. That is only 20% of the ones I have checked, hardly 100%. While I understand your concern, I will continue to check the posted images until they have all been verified as Safe. Then I will also verify new images using these same methods. There is no need to delete all of my creations or delete this entire thread!

1 Like

i guess we all love your images but we don’t want you to get sued for them …

1 Like

Thanks Rid, I appreciate your support.

1 Like

I understand that I will need to be more careful, and as @JPL shared there are other resources available for images that won’t be copyrighted and I plan on using tineye for searching and avoiding stock images sites altogether.

5 Likes

Wikimedia Commons is a great place for finding public domain and creative commons licenses that are rather generous with their terms.

2 Likes

Awesome effort and it’s a testament to your character that you get back up and wipe off your knees and forge ahead. Keep it up the @maidsafe team needs you.

3 Likes

That is so wrong and nasty of them to be doing that.

Isn’t that entrapment in the USA and illegal or does that only apply to LEAs

Australian courts have taken a dim view of companies doing anything of this sort and usually come down hard on the companies.

Eg Microsoft had to pay compensation (1000’s each person) for burying a clause in their T&Cs that allowed them to remotely wipe “other” data from the XBox. Media companies suing a pair of people for copying and giving away free dvds of movies. The pair where not profiting and the media companies were after many millions + millions in costs. The court gave the pair a slap on the wrist since they had no idea and were trying to help the really poor in the area. The media companies tried for costs and the court basically told them to stick it where the sun no shine.

Keep up the great work and yes do watch your back

1 Like

Well, that is just about everyone in the Crypto-Sphere, lately :smile:

Thanks for your support, guy and gals, this really keep me going and active, where otherwise I would be a log in front of my computers each day.
You all have my thanks!!

5 Likes

UPDATE: I have now removed about 10 more that were found on Stock Image sites, which I am disappointed about, but it was necessary and I understand that.

I would appreciate some double checking by anyone willing to help weed out anymore that I may have missed.
I used tineye.com but if you know of any other similar sites, please let me know.

4 Likes

New one for today.

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/2012-03-21_23-20-56-circumpolaire.jpg

6 Likes

images.google.com (on the desktop browser, press on the camera icon. The mobile version doesn’t show that option)

Yeah, that is what I WAS using but it doesn’t show Stock photo sites very often.
So, I had no idea that my results may have been on a Pay site or not.

I think you’re doing a great job @SalvorinFex Sad to see some of the images go.
Check out https://unsplash.com/ where you can find a lot of beautiful photos free to use :smiley:

I’ve also posted some of my own photos as wallpapers. They are pretty high resolution so perfect for high res screens or print:

6 Likes

Here’s some pictures from my travelling days that I’ve converted to wallpapers.

Edit; I’m the sole copyright holder as I’m the photographer. Images may not be edited, but may be used by anyone in it’s current state to promote the Safe Network as intended, and/or used by any individual as their personal wallpaper.

21 Likes

Can you edit your post to state that you own the copyright, and say how they may be used by others, and under what conditions? Without that, they are still unlicensed and anyone using them is, in theory at least, at risk.

Really you would need to give your real world identity when doing so. , otherwise anybody could make this claim and users would be left exposed.

2 Likes

Edited, although I don’t feel comfortable revealing my real world identity on any public forum/messageboard.

3 Likes

Those are great shots, very well done, thanks!

5 Likes

Thanks for your encouragement, your wallpapers are great too.

3 Likes