Designing SAFE/Solid Social Networks

Super buggy prototype. Managed to get signed up (using Brave).

https://m3data.inrupt.net/
webID m3

Having issues with firefox and chrome as well. Will do my best to engage in the Gitter and log some of the issues I’m having :slight_smile:

Thanks again @happybeing for being the driving force behind this, really excited to see momentum build on this integration with SOLID and RDF.

Have an social app concept (habits and behavioural change area) I would like to work on over the coming months/years with a friend @grimbonious - I’ll aim to get some of it fleshed out soon and discuss with the community about how we can start working with the SAFE libraries.

12 Likes

We are yet to define how RDF is expected to work in the SAFE Network. As you rightly pointed out we have to evaluate the strength and limitations of which ever approach we take. We will be refining our ideas and we will share the proposals in brief as we push forward. Would be great to get everyone’s opinion on this at the earliest.

Personally, I would like to see RDF triples to be treated as first class objects. However, we never know what we can do until we think it through and analyse in all angles.

5 Likes

I introduced myself here:
https://www.solidtalk.io/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9&sid=d4970cbfb8f77f27845419eb06ab5b4b
That’s SOLID’s only forum and it’s pretty dead, but maybe it’s still worth signing up.

1 Like

There is now a Solid forum on Discourse https://forum.solidproject.org/

You all know what to do … :smiley:

7 Likes

Today I hear in one of the famous pop radio in our country introduction about Sir Tim Barton Lee what he did and on what he is working now.
His name and project will be better known to masses and if we will collaborate with them, they will known also SAFEnetwork.

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m new to the SAFE forum, but have been a frequent visitor and poster to the Solid forum. I’ve read some intro things to SAFE, but have a lot to learn about it. I am grateful to @happybeing, who has shared a lot of knowledge and has been very good about convincing TimBL and the Solid world about the value of SAFE, and has written code to connect Solid and SAFE. Up to now I have been thinking of SAFE as just an alternative and distributed storage backend for Solid, but I may be missing some important things.

I’m pretty sold on the value of RDF, and I think there is a need for a distributed version control system for RDF that is like git, that can manage branches and is aware of how to diff and merge RDF graphs, and is also able to allow work on a local repository that is a clone or fork of a remote repository. I’m wondering lately if SAFE has features that facilitate doing that, or if something like that would be better done with a Solid server or servers which would use SAFE underneath. If anybody has ideas about that or thinks its too far in the future, please let me know.

Thanks!

11 Likes

IIRC @happybeing wrote a SAFE git clone.

7 Likes

Here it is.

6 Likes