Delays lead to a return to IPO price (MaidSafeCoin discussion)

@chrisfostertv That has to burn. I noticed that this very informative bit of StorJ news is from 2015. Aren’t we still as of today in the first quarter of 2015? Hmm… :blush:

3 Likes

I have yet to read the full thread but want to point out that Jim’s post suggests ignorance of the innovation development process, and would fit someone trying to sabotage launch (look at the timing), to destabilise the development team.

IMO it is not the post of a concerned investor wanting the team to succeed.

I have long career experience working with the best in the field and may post more when I have time to read the thread, but have to catch a ferry this morning. I have NO concerns about the delays, work on Rust etc. The progress is there on github / jira.

IMO this team has a lead (David Irvine) who understands how to innovate, lead, and deliver very challenging projects, and a highly effective team of devs who are doing just that.

To the team: Don’t let Jim be a distraction. Don’t let him create doubts that are unfounded. Don’t change… take the time you need and do a good job. Testnet 3 will be ready when it’s ready.

14 Likes

Totally agree…I think the Chris Foster post above is extremely illuminating: I have to say, this sounds akin to what some psychologists would call “projection”.
To me, it’s a case of the pot calling the (white) kettle, black… :wink:

3 Likes

Seriously speaking, @dirvine post a BTC address!!..I would love to send you guys some tips…It makes me feel I contribute to the team effort and eventually the team will feel their supporters’ love and continue more vigorously :smile:

3 Likes

I know what you mean here and it was one of the biggest reservations we had for switching to a full agile scrum process. However, there are tactics for dealing with these long running features and even the biggest/most dense tasks can always be broken down and delivered in smaller chunks.

We all went on an agile scrum course after ‘having a go’ with agile and it really benefitted us hugely. We had gone down the route of setting up jira, Jenkins and so forth, but we’re still keeping many bad habits St we ended up fighting against.

We have to bear in mind that sprint deliverables are not always release deliverables. Adding some class/module to do just part of the task is still a sprint deliverable and is likely much easier to estimate for and target the delivery of.

Sometimes it is just a case of taking 5-10% of the sprint to actually figure out in sub task level detail that keeps things on track. Doing this in the planning phase gives confidence and sets expectations for everyone inside and outside the team. It also ensures that deliverables are well identified and bite size.

I am sure I am preaching to the choir here, but I see many of the issues with project planning that we had from moving from a very small team (3-4) to and small team (10). We are currently 2x 5 person teams and it is easy to see how it can scale out, especially now we have a scrum master ensuring we adhere to the process. It hasn’t been easy, especially with concerns from our product and technology vp, but we are all seeing the benefits now.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is just about keeping investors happy. There is a genuine need for delivering what is promised. If it can’t be delivered, it is best to avoid promising it. How to define and deliver what can be promised is a challenge, Ofc.

1 Like

I believe you are incorrect and have a fundamental misunderstanding of the varieties of investor emotions that can come into play. I do believe he owns a good bit of safecoin.

Also, some of you guys sound like some whacked out Vietnam War Vet that thinks he is getting attacked by the mechanical toys at a Chuck E Cheese restaurant. I have noticed this as a persistent issue over the last year. Please for your own sake in attracting new developers and entrepreneurs try to tone it down, it actualy hurts the project’s marketability.

I think he raises legit points. I’ve been part of a very well funded effort in the 1990s called Electric Communities which took ages to produce working code and by the time it was sort of “done” the company ran out of money and it turned out it was too complicated for people to want to use at the time. Not saying that is the case here, but I see some patterns that look similar.

TN3 was supposed to be out in the Fall of 2014. So anyway… let’s see where we are at on July 1, and October 1…

1 Like

I appreciate you doing this Jim. I agree with much of what you say, but the unfortunately many of the “die hard” inner community, if you will, of this project, and I think in general of many crypto projects, have a few nuts loose and therefor do not be surprised to get such a cold reception when you unmask the veil of illusion from their eyes even but briefly the rays of light lead them to screech in pain.

Perfect example of nut job inner community troll. :smile:

I think one would have a hard time with this given that the project has gone on for 7 years. It is time to step up and deliver.

Then it may be possible to do a round of funding, but this org is set up as a non-profit right? So that won’t really work…

Language of this sort needs to be toned down, no one will want to associate with a project where the Lead Tech Officer appears like he cannot handle criticism with grace.

Be professional, you represent others and have a moral responsibility to people who purchased this thing from you to be accountable and respectful when they bring up issues.

1 Like

appreciate what? the fact he shows any lack of ability to check the github for updates…

Perhaps you need to update your dictionary , perfect example of someone with warped definitions

people have been invested for less than a year of that 7. the 6 before that was done on a shoe string budget, Some projects have taken much longer, some have taken less time , is there a rule that once it reaches the magical number 7, that it becomes time?

You are not currently on a .org but a .io

Hi there, I’m a “die hard” inner community guy and I would like to reply to the points you and others made. I’m also helping out as a Mod here on the forum. First of all, I think this forum is quite open to anyone who criticizes the project/timeline etc. This topic was started, we looked at it and decided to leave the topic open for discussion. After that @lowry_jim got a reply to his concerns. That’s the way things should be isn’t it? People talking and having a conversation about the project.

Anyone is open to post a topic and reply, even if it’s criticizing the tech/timeline etc. But please leave out things like people having nuts loose etc. That’s personally attacking people. Just reply to the topic, make your points and keep the conversation going in a nice and friendly way please. If we all do that, we all learn more about the tech, the project etc. And I also know for sure that all your questions will be answered.

7 Likes

Today on xkcd we learn why it might be worth spending a bit more time to make things right…

4 Likes

Nicely put, we have a really good and critical, when it matters community with a very clear vision so great. I understand dev is not fast enough so happy to accept that but even happier to improve these things which takes time. So I understand frustrations and accept them, my issue is to continually improve and that means bolstering moral when I make changes that folks cannot see immediately. It has happened all the way through the project (going open source, crypto currency, Qa, git, build status, coverage analysis and even moving office a few years back) and will continue. Folks hate change and a good manager will force it and if done well everyone will appreciate it, I believe.

When that stops I would worry, but solid progress with a never changing vision is paramount and this is where I feel MaidSafe and project SAFE in general shows inordinate strength. If the only issue is dev speed then we are in a great place, imagine having to design all the algorithms and figure out what we are actually delivering, that’s where the failure would be. Speeding up dev is not hard in comparison, after all software is a tool, it just needs used correctly.

So strong community, very good focussed management, partner engagement and a dedicated front end app team in place, a history of committed hard work that’s now refocussed on delivery instead of more the research based history and all working on SAFE I would bet on that :wink: I have like you :smiley:

16 Likes

@lowry_jim

Even the core devs who are very familiar with the entire codebase are unable to give firm release dates, so an outside observer would not be able to do so either.

IMO this is the seat of your error - that anyone can give those dates for this kind of project. To leap from this to what you said is unfair, and clearly risks undermining the project. So to me it’s not a genuine sharing of considered opinion, but from a serious investor who should know the importance of understanding before forming an opinion (let alone sharing it), this was a reckless post that does not serve anyone.

This kind of development - building something that has never been done - cannot be estimated with accuracy. Putting out delivery dates would be dumb, and to me demonstrate a worrying lack of experience or worse.

I’ve worked for decades in this kind of development, I’ve been involved in every aspect of such developments, worked in dozens of - new ground - projects. This is not my opinion, it’s my experience of cutting edge development including pure software and multi disciplinary developments, from a few man weeks to millions of man hours.

In the commercial environments I worked we had to plan and estimate. We used all the best techniques, but only one was ever reliable: using past experience to build something very similar to what is going to be delivered. Unfortunately, that rarely applies to any great extent so most developments don’t meet targets without cutting the targets to meet the resources/time (even if well specified and managed).

With SAFENetwork MaidSafe are out on the edge of what’s never been done, and it will take the time it takes. David and his team are top notch IMO and it only confirms I chose to back the right team when I see this kind of ignorance displayed from someone who we might suppose would know what he’s talking about.

16 Likes

I love the fact that with the refactor the whole project can be reprogrammed in a new language (RUST) in just three weeks!!! :smile:

8 Likes

Pointing out the obvious… took sometime to remember this; though, maidsafecoin purchases today, do not critically affect the progress of the team. Since, if you buy or sell maidsafecoin after the crowdsale, these funds don’t go directly to the maidsafe team. That being said, all transactions taking place post crowdsale are just speculation, and has very much zip to do with the development team, etc. It is not even the goal of anyone to work on the coin price, more so to deliver this network to as many people as willing to invest their digital lives in a secure, private, and free domain.

Spend only what you can afford, and if emotional about the coin, just wait up and farm them from your home computer later, you have nothing to lose there. :smiley:

10 Likes

You are clearly casting aspersions and intimating David Irvine’s integrity and character are questionable. I find this gob-smackingly unkind and ungenerous coming from someone from the Mastercoin Foundation (if Dominic Zynis). This is especially harsh given the integrity and character shown by David in defense of Mastercoin during the crowd funding issues - in the face of all the criticisms of Mastercoin from the “nut job inner community”.

Dead right you hypocrite…: :smile:

Does the hypocrisy never cease? I have never witnessed David be anything other and he has given you far more respect than I ever would, or than you deserve in my view. Respect has to be earned and if you think for one moment you or Lowry Jim have earned any with your disparaging and nonconstructive criticisms, then let me disavow you of your “veil of illusion”.
Your intent was apparently to cause community doubt and disharmony by calling into question the integrity and character of DIrvine: Unfortunately for you, I believe this has back-fired badly - you ended up displaying your own character and integrity for all to see. I don’t know what your own communities will make of this, but I for one am glad you posted what you did - I am much more appreciative of the character shown by Maidsafe now and even happier to have chosen Maidsafe (and no other) to invest in …considering the character of other people’s projects I could have ended up investing in.
I doubt I’m on my own in this view.
You’ve shown your arse guys…now I’m spanking it. :smiley:

8 Likes

You are in the same class as Jim. I shouldn’t assume but it seems to me that you are both naysayers who are upset you can’t liquidate right now because the price isn’t where YOU want it. I’m not a troll. I’m generally nice, an avid supporter of maidsafe (read my posts) and rather rational when it comes to the realities at play here. You seem to be the opposite of all of these which makes me wonder why you are even here. Not happy with what you purchased? Well we’ve all been burned by our own risk taking but I think in this case you are just being impatient and bullish.

And I have to add this. If you care about the price why are you so openly slandering the company? Seems like all that negative attention would affect your investment. Seems backwards to me…

1 Like