DEF CON Cancellation: An Open Letter

Look at the page’s source:

<!-- 
    Get over it, this is a parody/joke. Apologies that I ripped the art from the actual Defcon page. 

DT is a really nice guy and he would never say these sorts of thing. Or would he?
    Nah, I'm sure he wouldn't.

Have a good time at Defcon. See you at the Rio!
-->
4 Likes

haha nice work, looks like I was sheepled…

2 Likes

Still of value to consider and discuss. Sometimes things need to be exaggerated to see the fine detail of something.

2 Likes

A tap on the shoulder indeed… Did you know naturopathic doctors are ending up dead… There’s quite a line of MD corses… Big pharma is apparantly not happy with the competition… Point is government and corporations dont tap you on the shoulder and ask you to stop, they just tap you. Like seriously dude you guys are awesome and you are doing good work. But you do realize this is the kind of good work people are assassinated over right??? Remember linchon and kenedy? I’d keep have my will updated and safe if i was you… You never know when you’ll be introduced to your own personal windshield… Hope im just being. Paranoid

IMO you are being paranoid and fear mongering, which is not helpful. There’s no reason to think the team are in the least bit at this kind of risk, though we can all feel paranoia, I believe this is through living in a fear based culture rather than a basis in fact.

3 Likes

I sincerely hope so and normally i wouldn’t mention such things but i do care and know how important the project is…you’re probably right as the code even now is too widely distributed so the government really cant do anything against any particular dev. It still wouldnt be out of character to try… Im not at all suggesting to live in fear, such an attitude is completely unproductive. Im saying if youre going. To get affairs in order do it now when youre reletively safe and the feds are clueless not when maidsafe is headline news and youre facing a power struggle with the old world… Yes you might be able to sell safe to sections of govt but as soon as anyone with any tactical sense gets wind of it they’ll be crying national security… Im not saying it’s right or that it will work long term but it is what it is. Forgive me. But i dont want bad things happening to you guys to put it simply.

Person of Interest is a pretty trashy show a la Lost, but still presents a very interesting program concept. They only refer to the AGI as The Machine. The actor who played Benjamin on Lost stars as the programmer of The Machine in Person of Interest. He created The Machine to surveil all citizens, report crimes that are about to happen (Gov gets T-Word related crime data to prevent those events), but the key is that he programmed it to rewrite it’s own code, learn, adapt and most importantly sealed the AGI via encyption, so that even he as the administrator could not reaccess it in case he was later compromised. The government took it from him, yet he was still somehow able to siphon persons of interest to help them in each episode. Obviously, for our purposes, the sealed program would facilitate privacy, not circumvent it and deceive.

Programming software to rewrite it’s own code automatically is another level, but decentralization is likely the first step to achieve that type of untouchable system.

That open letter is disturbing to say the least. This overused under-considered cliché of “if you have nothing to hide…” BS is the core DNA of guilty until proven innocent.

Turns out it was a prank, maybe on the heels of the ProxyHam canellation, which itself is said to be a prank…confused? :smile:

1 Like