Dealing with copied content

When you refer to the agent/manager, are you referencing the artist’s agent/manager? Keep in mind, from a close-minded point of view, this could look like extortion or intimidation. (akin to “Release it here or someone else will”) And I certainly would not want to start off on the wrong foot. Especially with a technology that could basically become the holy grail for the music/art industry.

Dealt with correctly, this could be a powerful adoption mechanism.

4 Likes

Re: Pay the Producer (implementation questions)

Any idea how this and the inherant de-duplication of data chunks will work? For example: what happens if two separate Producers uploads were to produce a identical chunk? (Or is that probability statistically negligible?)

One benefit to this is that it does facilitate per-{frame,second,pixel} micro-transaction payment systems. If in fact each chunk is to be watermarked with the Producer’s wallet address.

This …

1 Like

I moved 23 posts to a new topic: Can I exploit content rewards by accessing my public content repeatedly:

You walk into the SAFE shop and decide to read a copy of a new masterpiece book written by my good self (a mix of 100 years of Solitude, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and Lolita rolled into one for the record). It’s around 1MB.

Right next to my incredible book is a copy of a full length HD video (of a side project I’ve been working on) called ‘Those aren’t my pants’. It’s around 3GB

We can both agree that ‘Those aren’t my pants’ is hilarious (the confused look to camera I give when I realise the pants aren’t indeed mine is pretty timeless IMO), but should the SAFE network give me 3000 x the reward I would get for my book, or should there be some human metric to quantifying the value of this data?

4 Likes

Yes, the artist from the (hit song today) example… is likely to be very busy, which is the reason they have an Agent/Manager. If they don’t have an Agent/Manager then contact the Artist directly. By community, I mean someone that knows the Artist personally (friend, relative, super fan).

It is very sad that some close-minded content producers might view an “invite” as extortion. We can’t change the way a person perceives something, even if you explain they will be helping themselves.

My invite would gift them some Safecoin to open an account and upload their next song. Regardless of how they view the intention, the reality remains… People are pirating their work, but they have an opportunity to do something about it.

2 Likes

I was only thinking today that torrenting may drop in usage when people can use SAFE network to access original works without costs to them and the artist is rewarded. Even downloading it to their drive will not be needed so much either since they can access it from any suitable internet connection.

As this occurs more and more then will there be a need to “pirate” like there is now. When apps appear that provide catalogued lists of original works the rewards for coping original works will fall away too. Will we see “pirating” being unneeded and without much benefits on SAFE in the future? Maybe only for works prior to being released officially, which would be an incentive for artists to upload their works ASAP.

Certainly worth more consideration…

4 Likes

I see two problems with the method proposed by dirvine: first, while the chunks are the same for every exact copy or reupload of the original content, a pirate could use another codec or add some noise to a video, and it would end up in totally different chunks. second, since GETs are free, nobody can stop the original uploader to artificially increase the demand for “his” chunks by requesting them again and again. This would just be limited by his bandwidth, and he would be rewarded for a counterproductive activity…

Let´s say, it´s worth to think about it, because it can lead to the exploitation of many creatives. I already mentioned the example elsewhere, but it fits right in:

It´s just one out of many other examples. It´s probably a fair question why SAFE should care for this kind of issues, but we have to realise that once there is an incentive to post viral stuff, people will violate copyright as much as they can. So I would say, yes, it is somewhat business of the network when we can clearly expect these issues and what mechanisms we could think about to protect artists.

I think this has been discussed many times on all kinds of subjects. If someone does something illegal on the network it is not Maidsafe or the community who should prevent this action or do something against it.

You’re actually asking for a central point that decides which ‘request for deletion’ or ‘request for sharing revenue’ should be honored. The network is autonomous and decentralized, if someone makes an app in which it is possible to create a central point, it’s up to the creators of the application.

I don’t think SAFE has the capacity to care. It is a computer program that does math.

Artists can still litigate, but there is not censorship feature in SAFE, lest it would be used for all kinds of things. The state department is claiming property rights over Cody Wilson’s work at defense distributed…

Intelectual property is already dead… Bittorrent killed it. Applications like Popcorn Time are bringing the tools to the people. There are just a few more nails to put into the coffin… Those technologies are not going to be uninvented… Artists need to invent a model that works. Grateful Dead allowed bootlegging of their concerts, and they still made quite a fine career of it… Viral adoration brings fame no matter what the means… You cannot fake a concert, Artists can always make their money in real life and use the digital end to fuel demand.

Suuuper good question, @Luke .

Is it a matter of quantity over quality? (/owenership).

I’m aware that I should (i think I read), be able to charge more SAFE per GET via an app if i wanted to (please correct me if I imagined reading that).

But is it all about data size? (or is that one GET request? … or one request per chunk?)

I also find the 10% of farming as a reward for content producers to be the inverse of what one (heh: I) might hope: I made a thing. Others are just storing that thing. Why should I only get 10% of the reward…?

I’m asking these questions as an author and web developer.

If content size/no. of requests is money making, then it’s the opposite of commonly held wisdom about reducing requests/data size to make for a more efficient internet. (Yes: this is not the olde internet, but the logic stands.) I’d be better rewarded for building an irritating website / over inflating the size of my data than making it useful… (say uploading my book as 400x50MP images instead of text).

4 Likes

If it’s too bloated someone might repost it in reduced size, so you can’t go too crazy on this.
Most non-video content will fit in one block (1MB, IIRC) so if your eBook is 800KB going for a slightly bloated 1.01 MB could be Sales 101, so to speak.

1 Like

Farmers expenses are real – Hard drives, bandwidth electricity. Artists rewards are Gravy… Once they have recorded a song and digitalized it for transimssion, and paid their PUT fee… There isn’t going to be any ongoing expense…

As @janitor just noted though, if it’s one chunk (for a book), you’re expenses (1mb free) are essentially negligible (that’s the point of SAFE, no? Using space that’s just lying around anyway). So I don’t buy that argument.

10% for making a thing.
90% for sharing some stuff you didn’t even realise you had lying around on the computer/phone you’re using anyway…

I’m saying this because I think an inbuilt content reward is an amazing thing that could bring a lot( lot lot lot ) of people to the network if we get it right…

1 Like

Is one block/chunk 1 meg (are they the same things?) ? I thought everything was split no matter how large…? I was just thinking the bigger it is: the more chunks: therefore the more GETs…

But what you say makes sense, indeed.

Yes, but if the farmers turn off their machines the whole thing goes kaput.

We are building a network. The network is what is most important. The content will use the network because it is efficient and secure… But the network is FAR more important than the content.

1 Like

Again. One of the selling points of SAFE is utilising space on your machine at home. That you use anyway. There will be commercial farmers, sure. But leveraging unused space and resources is (I understand), one of the main aims (up there with privacy). So there will be no off if we have normal (non commercial farmer) people on the network.

There is no network without content.

1 Like

Not really true. Many files may not be shared publicly.

Remember that we are storing at least 4 copies of everything at any given time. Hopefully much of that is duplicate copies so it will equalize out. Non-persistant vaults mean that data is traveling in and out using bandwidth all of the time. Those are things that people may be charged for.

The internet doesn’t pay much for content but people still provide it… If SAFE can deliever it faster, more reliably and with less storage and hosting costs, people will use it whatever the “artist reward” is, or even if there is not a reward…

Right.I still don’t buy these charges are in any way significant for most people giving up a few megs of HDD. 4 chunks or no. It’s all just leftovers, so again. Why the 1/9 split? I don’t see a valid reason for it…

Exactly why if SAFE gets it right it would be a great boon to the service, because there is very little cost. Yes 10% is something. But I don’t see it as being fair compared to most resource sharing (especially imagining a very large network with a lot of large device on it… a few years away perhaps).

Storage and bandwidth are not a problem today. They will become only less costly. Content. Again. Is something worth something. Especially in such a seamless environment where there are no worries paypal etc.

If we get content providers on the network. We get a lot of their followers too.

10% of network fees doesn’t seem justified (imagining OC), and given the abundance of space etc. Farming is passive. Creating is not.