DAOs Again - it has been a while

People,

I have been following Aragon since the beginning and now Cardano might be getting closer to their own DAOs but I would really just like to go straight to my own long-term solution - a DAO on SAFEnet. Has anyone else been thinking about DAOs on SAFE recently?

My initial use case is quite simple - just a mechanism for voting on motions - either as:

• One (verified) person per vote

or:

• One vote per token
3 Likes

No one that I know of is tackling that or smart contracts. Would love to see those roles filled in some capacity.

2 Likes

Multi-sig basically?

I was ponder this the other day actually. You could have third parties who acted as a sort of escrow and signed when some result was achieved. You could distil the ‘some result’ into code even, so these third parties could validate and run the code. There could be competition for trustworthy and fast third parties, which would build their reputation.

These signing third parties could be anonymous or known. Their merit could rest on evidence of prior signings. They could even just be applications running somewhere.

I thought the benefit of this over it living on the network could be security and sanity checking.

For security, the keys could remain unknown by the network - either physically or just in an unknown location on network.

For sanity, a human element may be useful. If a bug in the code is being exploited, draining an account, an element of validation could allow an interpretation of the contract, rather than pure, cold, hard, code. Perhaps some signers would even have legal backgrounds in contract law?

Although running contracts within the network may have strengths, there are also weaknesses. I often wondered whether there was a use case for smart contracts whe ethereum was being launched. It is obvious there is, but is there another way that is a sort of hybrid like this, between traditional and smart contracts?

3 Likes

He hasn’t been on the forum in a long time, but @Glen_Simister was working on a DAO-relevant project called Devolution. Here’s some more info that might inspire you:

2 Likes

Cardano and Aragon are super interesting from a ‘general case’. It is also very informative to look at Decred (DCR) which has a purpose-built DAO that already functions for everything from contractor hiring to base protocol upgrades. Implemented in ‘Bitcoinesque’ blockchain, but is a real world functional implementation of POS → vote signing → decision → enforcement.

The problem will be verification unless the tokens are numbered or perhaps staked. Otherwise people can pretend. Or even split their holdings to appear as multiple people.

1 Like

As neo said the simplest thing is to have one vote per coin/token staked for the duration of the voting procedure.

The other simple option is to link the votes to stored data (ex. 1 vote per TB, 1 vote per chunk). The data option may be better because it weights one’s voting power to their real contribution to sustaining the network in the present, rather than coin accumulated over time.