Daniel Suarez! 15characters

I’ve gone through all of his books at least under that pen name if it is a pen name. The Daemon and Freedom set probably 4x. Nothing makes me feel better or more hopeful about a possible better future than these books. Its like 6 years ago he thought through all this stuff and laid out a blue print. Over and over its de ja vu and its because I’ve seen it in those two books in some way or other. But the vision he presented could take someone not that interested and really change the way they look at the world as it did with me. And as with me it can reach non technical people, but his stuff has to be even more fun for people who do tech for a living. The audio versions (available on audible) for his stuff at least for Daemon and Freedom were excellent too.

In these two books we get a picture of the death of the capitalism and the state and how the dynamics might play out but not at all in a dystopian way. There is a distributed automated cooperative that runs on a darknet and uses augmented reality. There is a little bit of AI involved as well and a particularly wonderful main villain. Also characters I like a lot and atmosphere I loved. I loved watching markets get crunched and ugly corporations and governments get absolutely destroyed in the most satisfying ways. And particularly loved the empowerment of everyday people and the preservation of their hopes and dreams.

“DANIEL SUAREZ is the author of the New York Times bestseller Daemon, Freedom™, Kill Decision, and Influx. A former systems consultant to Fortune 1000 companies, he has designed and developed software for the defense, finance, and entertainment industries. With a lifelong interest in both IT systems and creative writing, his high-tech and sci-fi thrillers focus on technology-driven change. Suarez is a past speaker at TED Global, MIT Media Lab, NASA Ames, the Long Now Foundation, and the headquarters of Google, Microsoft, and Amazon – among many others. Self-taught in software development, he is a graduate from the University of Delaware with a BA in English Literature. An avid PC and console gamer, his own world-building skills were bolstered through years as a pen & paper role-playing game moderator. He lives in Los Angeles, California.”

“Daemon is the real deal—a scary look at what can go wrong as we depend increasingly on computer networks.”
— Craig Newmark, Founder Craigslist

“A thought-provoking novel that presents real technologies in a new and terrible light. It’s a hard book to put down.”
— Tom Leonard, Lead AI architect Half-Life 2 (Valve Software)

“Someday, we may be defending our systems against automated threats that aren’t just dumb viruses—and the ideas in Daemon will move from the fiction to the nonfiction section.”
— Jim Rapoza, eWeek (Ziff Davis)

“A first-class story that raced, twisting, to a conclusion that left me dying to read Mr. Zeraus’s next offering. This book will change the way you look at our society.”
— Wurzel Parsons-Keir Co- founder, Continuous Computing

“The imagination Mr. Zeraus shows in assessing the current technological landscape is impressive. As I made my way through each chapter, I began to realize this was no typical hacking story. Daemon is worthy of your short list.”
— Donald C. Donzal, Editor in Chief, The Ethical Hacker Network

“Good storytelling can be one of the best ways to wrap your head around the implications of the technological changes we are immersed in. But that depends on finding storytellers who combine talent for story with a willingness and ability to understand the pertinent technologies. Zeraus qualifies. Daemon is highly recommended.”
— Jim McGee, Ph.D - Harvard Business School, Director, Huron Consulting Group

“[Daniel Suarez] is the best author of tech fiction since Bruce Sterling and Neal Stephenson. Buy everything he writes.”
— John Robb, futurist & Author of Brave New War

“Daemon is better than early Tom Clancy…The tech is invoked with inside knowledge, the writing is better, and deeper issues are explored with greater imagination.”
— Stewart Brand, Founder Whole Earth Catalog & co-founder the Long Now Foundation

“Greatest. Techno-thriller. Period. Suarez presents a fascinating account of autonomous, logic- based terrorism, incorporating current and anticipated technologies to create a credible and quite clever story. Experts have long feared the Internet doomsday scenario; the Daemon is arguably more terrifying.”
—William O’Brien, Director of Cybersecurity and Communications Policy, The White House

@warren can you expand on your post (edit it) and how it relates to SAFE, some practical lessons that we could use for example?

Clearly a marketing issue… The new of off-topic extended his kingdom.

Ok I attempted to improved the OP. What he does is really present a great picture of how society could be. I am not sure I like the reputational stuff applied to individuals as he does in his darknet, I’d like to see it applied to individuals only or a way to opt out of it.

Thanks @warrern, that’s more about the subject but doesn’t go as far as I was hoping. I think it would help if you also spell out the relevance to SAFE. It may be clear to you but won’t be for everyone, and I certainly don’t know what you find relevant here. I can only speculate, and I don’t have time to follow these references on this basis - if you explained the relevance, people might be more interested in following up.

The book set is a picture of network power and how it can quickly and radically change the global politcal and economic system for good or for worse. Its also a picture of establishment and private wealth their limits and how they might react. It paints a picture of a single centralized brittle mono culture system prone to being shattered and how miltary and smear/spin campaigns won’t help. Also why Blackwater type outfits and typical counter insurgency stuff would be almost useless and the intelligence apparatus.

In particular the impact of a global distributed
mesh darknet with its own digital currency that displaces the regular internet and dollar and which cannot be controlled by the establishment. Sounds like aspirations for SAFE but from 2009 and 2011.

Places these things and their changes in their philopsophical/historical/anthropological/political/economic/mythic context.

It would be useful in talking to your dad, people like @janitor and at @jreighley. The device he explores in particular is something he dubbed in a talk made into a DVD at the Long Now Society “bot mediated reality,” where the bots are like DAOs with and without a people component, acting in a coordinated way.

This endorsement in particular: “Greatest. Techno-thriller. Period. Suarez presents a fascinating account of autonomous, logic- based terrorism, incorporating current and anticipated technologies to create a credible and quite clever story. Experts have long feared the Internet doomsday scenario; the Daemon is arguably more terrifying.”
—William O’Brien, Director of Cybersecurity and Communications Policy, The White House

After experiencing these two books I went through the top rated books in the genre. There was nothing else like it. The Mr. Robot series takes some of its flavor. I’ve only seen the first episode of Black Mirror but it may explore similar themes.

Over and over again in the forum people want to replace it all, replace the money, replace the broken internet, replace the state, replace the corporation. Some of us want it to be green and cooperative. Well six years ago Suarez had already painted a compelling picture of such a transition and the end point and how we could end up with something more democratic. But he also painted a compelling picture of where we are going without needed change and how oppressive tech can be. All with humor, no need to pay attention to tech the perspective comes naturally with the story.