Dan Pink - Drive and how it relates to Maidsafe

Maidsafe is largely based on incentivization… which in many cases DOESN’T WORK especially when it requires creative thought, like programming for instance. Not saying people shouldn’t be paid or they don’t need to eat. But motive counts especially when it comes to creativity. Just saying this might be something people would want to watch when planning such a system like maidsafe.

Really interesting and as you say, it mirrors Maidsafe business model thinking. I’m a bit concerned about the distinction between manual and more creative workers and treating them differently, but if that’s what the studies show…I probably need to read up some more, interesting though.

I’ve read the book as well and was also skeptical about that part @Al_kafir. I’ve posted the you tube in a couple threads as I feel it fits very well with the app builder incentive model. What I find very interesting is the need for the minimum/maximum amount of money/salary when people stop caring about the money aspect and really delve into the creative stuff. This makes total sense to me. When the survival needs are taken care of our minds seem to be free to focus on what we really desire. Great stuff in my opinion.

edit: The science behind Drive and Flow (http://www.ted.com/talks/mihaly_csikszentmihalyi_on_flow) are two things I find very interesting as they relate to maidsafe and app builder incentive. These two things are why I believe OVN (open value networks) will/could be the future of business.

I was talking to a friend about a dream about a dev shop that would have a built-in startup incubator as part of it. Basically it would work like this. Every employee would work on the 80/20 principal (how Google and others have done in the past). 80% of time would be spent on something proven that is making income. 20 on things the devs come up with on their own or on someone else’s 20 project. When a 20 project starts to show real traction it becomes an 80 project. The 20% time would always be opt-in so those projects that get people really excited will float to the top.

Its interesting that companies have started this. I think they should pay me royalties (actually an ex colleague did it before me, so him) because I went onto a four day week (in a job I loved) so I could do my own stuff on the fifth day of the week. Of course I was doing it over the weekend too :wink: and most evenings… result: RSI …doh!

This is a lot of the maidsafe business model. We have a retention scheme that makes it easy to leave, a scheme where we pay for folk to compete with us and much more. @Shona is to do a video on it all (been in the pipeline for ages).

The key is take money off the table, so its not heavily incentivise, its take money off the table (this is where safecoin worries me slightly, since launch there is a lot of motivation through different mechanisms). Dan has other videos on this, it was compulsory viewing in maidsafe for a while. We will get the video of our business model and structure soon, its extremely weird and challenges nearly every aspect of what an MBA will tell you what to do.

Imagine a company that founders gives all shares (to me by definition a share is a share, so share it) away or encourages competition, allows staff to leave (pays them to) and much more :slight_smile: A great experiment that has frustrated me significantly as many people just don’t care (they don’t last either).

I’m really excited to see what you have. Business models have always interested me…

lol…easy tiger, he said business models not busty models

I’m highly skeptical of the whole thing.
It’s impossible to accurately model people’s behavior with just 2-3 variables.

It’s like v27 of Maslow’s theory of needs. It applies to some people, doesn’t apply to others, etc.

I wonder if they, upon (re)discovering this stuff, offered to their employers to work for less… Probably not.

@dirvine I’m wondering if you have ever read any of Ricardo Semler’s books or watched any of the youtube vids about him. His out of the box thinking and anti-MBA views might parallel some of your thinking. I think I remember in one of his books telling about how they incentived folks to take portions of Semco and start their own businesses.

NO, but I will now, thanks for the name. I like out the box thinking, not always right but great to investigate.

Here’s some actual real-life stuff (no armchair economics):
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/economics/why-valve-or-what-do-we-need-corporations-for-and-how-does-valves-management-structure-fit-into-todays-corporate-world/

We have studied this a lot :smiley: