Cyber-Fund: Technical comparison between Safecoin, Bitcoin, Ethereum and more

Please tell me Project SAFE does not rely on game theory in any of the protocols.

If I had to pick one reason Ethereum will go belly up, it’s their reliance on game theory for justice…good luck with that.

I cant understand why game theory is still actively being promoted, it was my understanding Nash himself said it was flawed thinking.

and articles like this one:

“In an evolutionary setting, these zero determinant strategies (those using coercion) will go extinct,” said Christoph Adami, professor of microbiology and molecular genetics. “You might succeed for a short time, but in the long run it can’t sustain.”

I can guarantee I don’t for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Other than a fork, Ethereum will never be ‘integrated’ with SAFE…they get a chance to ride on top of SAFE like anything else.

SAFE can do natively the sum of what the other crypto projects are proposing and beyond…because it’s foundation is influenced by natural systems.

These other projects are using maths for maths sake and not looking for patterns in nature and then using maths to describe those patterns. There must unlimited ready made design patterns out there waiting to be discovered and applied to problems.

All you need is a yacht, plenty of whiskey…and an ant farm :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s why Etherium may be interested in Game Theory, as it has many cryptographic and other applications.

“Game theory is a major method used in mathematical economics and business for modeling competing behaviors of interacting agents.[9] Applications include a wide array of economic phenomena and approaches, such as auctions, bargaining, mergers & acquisitions pricing,[10] fair division, duopolies, oligopolies, social network formation, agent-based computational economics,[11] general equilibrium, mechanism design,[12] and voting systems;[13] and across such broad areas as experimental economics,[14] behavioral economics,[15] information economics,[3] industrial organization,[16] and political economy.[17][18]”

Yes, this is Evolitionary Game Theory and is not related to economic/political Game Theory. The “Games” in Game theory can be thought of as mathematical objects really.
This seems to be related to that Bill Gaedes guy video really in that mathematical objects are not “real” and those people that advocate “mathematical physics” are “Mathemagicians” and “Relativists” etc - them crazy mathemagicians with their algorithms and XOR spaces eh :smiley:

Really…I thought he was working on an advanced Game Theory in 2012 - what is your understanding based on?

I think you certainly touch on it when considering how users can “play the system” to their own advantage – like when thinking how giving free Safecoin would play out.

Yes, but I think this is where it gets into everything is game theory, everything is marketing and everything is sales territory really. I believe more in the natural systems which has similarities in evolution type strongest wins situations. Hard core game theory I believe distorts this to a much more selfish gene gone mad viewpoint.

I think it also comes into play with farming/dev rewards – more generally it is applied in Safe as a way to incentivise all users to partake or“play the Game”, rather than instruct on how to win it, but it’s all Game Theory really…to me at least.

Yes and don’t forget the “Altruism” aspect, whereby an individual would sacrifice for the group - this makes no sense on an individual level, only on the group gene pool. When I’m thinking of Game Theory, I’m thinking more of a whole branch of investigation/ideas/theories, rather than just 1 idea - more like “chess” or “poker” in a way - but that’s just my interpretation… deploying Safe appears to involve the same chess like “Game Theory” considerations. :smiley:

2 Likes

8 minutes in http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/145347/The_Trap_Fuck_You_Buddy_BBC/

This series of 3 films ‘The Trap’ introduces so many concepts, that I was not previously aware of.

I admit it’s not particulalry scholarly learning on my part…but the facts seemed to be layed out in these films.

There is NO Game Theory in Project SAFE …the inventor has stated this…seems like a scientific fact to me.

I dont think David has the time to enter into a drawn out discussion on what does not exist.

Game theory is the study of strategic decision making. Specifically, it is “the study of mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between intelligent rational decision-makers.”

I really can’t see how there is no game theory applied in SAFE. The system is designed to punish bad behaviour and reward good behaviour. It steers it’s participants rational decisions into a system of cooperation. I guess we can argue whether that’s a form of game theory or not, but to me it seems that it is.

3 Likes

So somebody else said it…not Nash?

That wouldn’t make it a scientific fact.

“Today, however, game theory applies to a wide range of behavioral relations, and has developed into an umbrella term for the logical side of decision science, including both humans and non-humans (e.g. computers, animals).”
If David says none of this comes into play, then I’ll take his word for it, but it doesn’t make it a scientific fact.
Game Theory appears to be more like a wide subject area and I have no idea why it would be perceived as a bad thing to investigate, given the nature of the technology.

OK, I’ll bear in mind what you think David thinks, but we were talking about Etherium using Game Theory, you were dismissing it and I was trying to explain why they might be looking at it. What exactly are your objections to it?

3 Likes

I largely agreed. Being first to market does not secure success for the project - being timely to a market with a good solution is desirable though.

First mover advantage is very real, but rushing something bad out is counter productive.

1 Like

There’s no value I can add here, you wont take the word of the inventor…so I certainly wouldn’t expect you take on board anything I have to say.

Could that be, because you are not privvy to the underlying algorithms?

No, I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Clearly not what I said…

Given the UK 2015 Budget, my funding figures are already out-of-date and would need to be multiplied by 2. And it looks like the research establishment is also coming into play:

2.215 Digital currencies – The government is today announcing its intention to apply anti-money laundering regulation to digital currency exchanges in the UK, to support innovation and prevent criminal use. The government is also launching a new research initiative which will bring together the research councils, Alan Turing Institute and Digital Catapult with industry in order to address the research opportunities and challenges for digital currency technology, and will increase research funding in this area by £10 million to support this. Finally, the government will work with the British Standards Institution and the digital currency industry to develop voluntary standards for consumer protection.

1 Like

Nice find erick…

Seems this would also apply across the traditional tax havens, denting their ambitions to become the centre of digital currency exchange

7 Feb 2015

Mr Miliband told BBC News: “Billions of pounds are being lost in tax avoidance. Today we’re serving notice on tax havens linked to Britain that they must open their books within six months of a Labour government, or face international action.”

‘Shrouded in darkness’
Mr Miliband’s letter is being sent to British Overseas Territories - Anguilla, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Turks and Caicos Islands, Gibraltar and Montserrat - and the Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

“If any Overseas Territory or Crown Dependency does not meet this deadline, we will ask the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development to put them on the OECD’s tax haven blacklist,” he said.

…and the NHS utilizing both SAFE and ‘GOV.UK Verify’ would be interesting logistically.

Budget 2015 announces that, following a successful
trial, the government will implement ‘GOV.UK Verify’ – a new way for people to prove
their identity online when using government services – across central government.

This means that departments will use the same tool for their digital services, reducing
duplication. Further, to prevent individual departments paying different amounts to either build their own data centres or outsource this service, the government will create a joint venture to host departments’ non-cloud based servers, which could save up to £100 million.46

I read on Wikipedia that game theory has a rather broad definition. The original use was for zero-sum games. That sounds lame. It would be better with win-win constructs. Biologist Bruce Lipton said that evolution isn’t really about the survival of the individual. Evolution is about the survival of whole communities, he said.

So, a robust win-win principle needs to include the social interactions of everybody in order to be successful in the long run. Otherwise the whole society will become fragmented into many win-lose compartments, and actually overall move towards a lose-lose situation for everybody.

3 Likes

Check out Ethereum Game Theory and tell me if you agree with their vision, to me they are building a modern day technocracy:

…and compare it to what is shown in this documentary, up to the 19 minute mark:

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/145347/The_Trap_Fuck_You_Buddy_BBC/

Same?

Yes, I agree, the social/community/altruism aspects of Evolution are important to consider - nurture comes into it as well as nature I think.
Fundamentally, it is really the survival of the gene pool, individual organisms just being vehicles for the more or less “immortal” gene - in Safe it is more about the survival of the “meme” as ways to conserve information for the next generation I think.
What particular memes propagate depend on the strength of arguments.I think.

Agreed.