This is something that really should be a thing as the SAFE network begins to show signs of maturity. The concept of many, many diffuse nodes is clearly much more resilient than centralized large nodes. Here's the hardware that I can help to facilitate:
- Intel-Based Router with Custom Firmware ($500/ea, somewhat less in bulk)
- Low-spec, low-price, high-quality ARM router (quality: it does what it claims to, and does so well) (less than $100, and these get very attractive in volume)
- Intel-Based Xeon-class router with custom firmware (~$5000/ea, somewhat less in bulk)
- Dev boards - every breeed
- Custom hardware development - Rockchip, allwinner and Intel.
IN the end it's going to be a lot of projects, working together, to make the web a commons and a safer place. I'd love to help.