Creator of the World Wide Web takes a stab at creating a decentralized web

Lets hope they are not faster then maidsafe

3 Likes

I want to ā€˜likeā€™ this post many more times :wink:

Paige, get this set up, be bullish, please!!!

5 Likes

I am also hearing discussion on how to ā€œdecentralizeā€ access to servers via mobile or having offline apps that can later sync to a serverā€¦The havenā€™t quite got the idea yet, but are getting closer!

1 Like

I quit listening at the Q&A of Cerfā€™s speech; too much droning and blather. Iā€™ll wait until ioptioā€™s segments are put up.

2 Likes

Another feature of https://remotestorage.io/ that works now and Iā€™m porting to SAFEnetwork.

6 Likes

super double extra ā€œlikeā€!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is critical and why time is of the essence in launch. If someone, anyone, makes a ā€˜decentralizedā€™ offering before Maidsafe does, then they will get first-mover advantage in spite of not being superior or actually decentralizing anything. Just changing the window dressing really.

4 Likes

Letā€™s hope they are faster. The sooner we get the tech the faster we win no matter who delivers it.

@ioptio coming on right now !! So tune in and lets wish her well.

5 Likes

Zeronet, zero rate, net zero- sure this isnā€™t a scam? They couldnā€™t have picked a worse name.

There is no first mover advantage. In evolution the best species should win and in my opinion if something better than SAFE Network comes along then it will rank higher according to my criteria and gain priority advantage

SAFE Network has competition but this is good because it means for a competitor to beat SAFE Network they have to make a SAFER Network. It would mean the world would have better technology and then we all win.

In my opinion, SAFE Network should consider porting itself over if the time comes that a new and better programming language than Rust appears. If something better than SAFE Network comes out then there will be two networks and SAFE Network can choose to interconnect with the new network.

I donā€™t get the scorched earth platform tribalism. I donā€™t see how it helps but I do understand people who have a lot of Safecoins for speculative reasons might fear losing on their investments. You will not lose if Safecoins can be redeemed for storage and you intend to use the storageā€¦

She did a really good job. She stood out, was articulate. I donā€™t think SAFE Network could have a better representative than her right now and I expect people will be curious now to see what SAFE Network is about after seeing what she had to say.

She mentioned the switch to Rust and I think this is important. Rust is a more safe programming language and you had the foresight to switch when it was time to switch. I hope in the future SAFE Network is able to switch again if a better language than Rust appears. Some are in development now and itā€™s only a matter of time I think.

6 Likes

I only caught the last few minutes, hopefully it will be archived.

I see that she is doing a ā€œhands-onā€ workshop and that would have to be: adding a vault do the droplet network, along with running the launcher and demo app. It seems old hat here but new comers might be impressed. Or is there something new that we havenā€™t seen yet?

Screenshots of the apps weā€™ve seen here, such as the pastebin thing (sorry, I lost the link).

EDIT: I foresee getting some more app developers as a result of such a workshop.

EDIT1: Surely it would most likely be the droplet network, because the alternative would that testnet4 is being timed to coincide with her workshop. :smile:

EDIT2: The more I think about it, the more of a shrewd move that would seem to be. The timing is a little early in the day, though (9am in SF) but not unreasonable. Testnet4 with 700 or more nodes, ioptio runs a SAFEmatrix starship control panel displaying its statistics, along with 50 instances of the latest vault on one computer running cool as a cucumber. It would blow their minds! Hahaha!

4 Likes

If that were true then Dash would have a greater market cap than bitcoin. First mover advantage is definitely real. This is not evolution and we are not in a ā€˜free marketā€™. If the banks knew bitcoin was coming they wouldā€™ve deployed their ā€˜blockchainā€™ solutions first and stolen the thunder of cryptocurrencies. This has happened before. There have been many cases where an inferior technology reigns supreme simply because it arrived first. Using the example of Bitcoin, youā€™re witnessing a 2 year debate to raise the block size and the best they could come up with is ā€˜segregatedā€™ witness. Dash solved this issue in 24 hours. Yet Dashā€™s market cap is 1/100 that of bitcoin. Why? First mover advantage. It would be naive to assume that because Maidsafe is the best technology, that it would be able to overcome a lesser technology that arrived significantly earlier than it did.

7 Likes

Unless there was a part not yet uploaded I think she was only asked 2 questions. I was hoping there would be a formal presentation?

1 Like

Yā€™all, this was a panel. I was only ever scheduled for a panel this day. Tim Berners Lee, Vint Cerf and Brewster Kahle were really the only ones who had talks. I was on a panel with Van Jacobson for crying out loudā€¦ a person @dirvine is inspired by actually. But in general, should never expect to get out everything you want to say in one of these thingsā€¦ you have to share time equally with other people and I think we were pressed for time so they cut a bit off of the last two panels. Yes, I think I missed out on a question in the beginning that I could have answered strongly, but I was able to jump in at the end in such a way that could help people understand the value in keeping SAFE as itā€™s own system (and consequences that Tor faces in reaching back into the existing web) and interject in the ā€œrun everything through Torā€ gravy train that started to happen for Brewsterā€™s question. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

you need to become the publicly accepted defaultā€¦

you donā€™t dyson, you hoover!

itā€™s ok mum iā€™ve put the photos in ā€˜SAFEā€™ donā€™t worryā€¦

donā€™t worry sir the sites "SAFEā€™

1 Like

What i wonder when i see this kind of websummit, will maidsafe be fast enough ? Cause i see many big company names comming past and they can do what a small team like maidsafe try in a much shorter period of time.

Also i got interrested about zeronet

The big namesā€™ goals are fundamentally different: Although competitive, they want to fit into and maintain the existing status quo of their owners.* Only little firms can be truly disruptive (and create a new status quo and become big names themselves).

* and that includes people with big names as well as companies. Tim Berners-Lee getting an OBE, just like The Beatles (MBE in their case), tells me he and they have owners. They didnā€™t get it for excellence in their craft, but for being excellent servants.

4 Likes