Could AT2 be the answer to cryptocurrency's energy and performance problems?

40 Likes

Well well well! Havenā€™t seen a blogpost in awhile, I love it!

Edit: itā€™s not a blog post but an article! Iā€™ll take that as well. Now to see if there is any mention of Maidsafe.

Edit 2: oh hell yes.

cc: @Sotros25 @Josh @goindeep @andyypants Whoever else is a social media organizer, letā€™s share this!

24 Likes

Itā€™s a very fine article, by an exceptionally talented tech journalist in the UKā€™s premier computer industry newspaper.

Very clear explanation of blockchain, what AT2 does and how, and some great quotes from David as well as the researchers behind AT2.

26 Likes

Here it is on hacker news:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23691357

22 Likes

Really great article that shows how SAFEcoin alone is a huge leap forward. We need to get more bitcoin loyalists to see this is just a better way to transfer value. Then let them discover that its just the tip of the iceburg of the use cases the SAFE network has.

13 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!! Tweeted :smile:

https://twitter.com/sotros25/status/1278061839260291073?s=21

16 Likes

Excellent write up, not gone through it all yet but sharing away!

If someone with an older account age could submit to r cryptocurrency would be good, my account age is too new.

Thanks

13 Likes

All excellent sub Redditā€™s to post at, nice job @goindeep!

10 Likes

Would be great to see some love on reddit and ycombinator folks, comment under the actual article too. Make an account and upvote the original post and comments you like. Iā€™ll get to twitter to show love soon, maybe those who posted to twitter could share this here in the comments to make retweeting and liking easier?

9 Likes

Agree. We are pretty lazy when it comes to these things IMHO. Simply liking, commenting and sharing costs nothing. I do reddit because I donā€™t use twitter or facebook or insta.

Currently the article is on the first page of r cryptocurrencies as sorted by hot, although only a small sub, theres still 87k members and currently 320 online, so get on over there, upvote, comment and share!

Currently also on first page sorted by hot on r futurology!!! With 14.7 million members and 4.6k currently online!!! Get there, upvote, comment and share!

It is also high up in r energy and r environment.

There is a comment from someone in r computer science, perhaps one of the more tech savvy ants can reply:

Thanks all

11 Likes

Friend, can you make a new topic in the Community category with a call to action for Reddit. Iā€™ll pin it :dragon: Letā€™s try to make it more successfulā€¦

5 Likes

Nice work @goindeep

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever come across such stubbornly ignorant people as on r/bitcoin. Smh. Their view of how things work are so black and white. Nodes use energy so they are no better than bitcoin? Someone tell me where these people live so I can pay them a visit.

10 Likes

It has nothing to do with facts. There are plenty of very smart crypto people who I follow on Twitter and while they talk about alts, different ideas to improve blockchain and such, itā€™s always comes back to a Bitcoin maximalist point of view. When the network is complete perhaps easier to show and understand but many of them are stubborn to a fault.

6 Likes

Bah. Too late now. I only just saw this.

That fella in the r computer science post is having a decent crack. Heā€™d be a good one to grab by the head in head lock and force him over to have a look :joy: he says he wrote the Wikipedia cryptocurrency page. Hmm.

7 Likes

Just looking at his timeline heā€™s the next Richard Feinman :joy: Not only did he write the Wikipedia cryptocurrency page, heā€™s also an expert in C++ (Objective and regular), a psychoanalyst

this is just how I as a psychoanalyst perceive religion

Who still finds time to moonlight as a theoretical physicist

As someone who write particle simulators professionally

And to ponder ethical complexities as

a ā€˜cultural christianā€™ because i hold very strong moral views.

Iā€™ll bet his mum still washes his pants though.

4 Likes

I must ask my pal, who has just recently left CERN, if ā€œwriting a particle simulatorā€ is something that really should be left to a professional.

3 Likes

I bet @mav could give all these proof of work maximalists a run for their money, lol. Not a recommendation either as itā€™s probably a huge waste of time like talking to a wall.

3 Likes

I missed this thread some how and Iā€™m just catching up. Great article! Really, really, good!

The compsci thread is excellent too. The whole cost to buy a coffee thing is such a simple, but an excellent point - you can have too much security and when true, it just adds cost.

When you are making a multi-million dollar transaction, you may want to pay a decent amount for security. When you are spending a few quid, you do not. This point is not debatable - it is a statement of truth.

As to how you it is implemented, that is the question with many interesting answers. Itā€™s a shame some folk are too blinkered to this.

Edit: To add, the idea of a centralised ledger being a critical and essential feature seems to get in the way for some people. There is simply no reason for this to be the case, as everyone does not need to know about every, single, transaction since the beginning of time.

11 Likes