Core Goals of the first iteration of SAFE Network at launch

I am trying to understand the core goals of SAFE Network at the time it launches.

I have read the 20 fundamentals, the safe network primer, the roadmap, and other sources. What should be achieved is generally mixed with how it is achieved, making it more difficult to extract the core goals (the “what” only).
@dirvine’s post The Impossible Network | Metaquestions points out the core idea. However, the assumed meaning of “network” seems very broad. (A combination of a network’s functions compute and storage could perhaps make the word network even include autonomous AI, but that would obviously not be in scope for the first SAFE Network at launch.)

How could we describe the scope of the core functions of the first SAFE Network iteration (at launch)? Below is a first attempt to cover the core functionality, excluding non-essential, or derived features:

1. de-centralize ownership of certain network functions so that they cannot be changed or disabled by any group of actors.
    a. function: identity proofing
    b. function: access control
    c. function: communication
    d. function: information storage

2. protect all information perpetually* from unintended access, interception, tampering, or deletion.

3. preserve stored information, global access, and end-to-end communication perpetually* and for free**

4. provide a digital medium of exchange

*) perpetual means TBD years
**) free, except for the cost of broadband access and user terminal.

Left for the future:
1e. function: computation

Does this look right?

9 Likes

The unintended access phrase here seems redundant/confusing. Apart from that, looks good to me. The simplest 1 liner (oops went more than 1, but you know what I mean :wink: ) I think is,

“SAFE at inception is what the web should have been serverless and all data owned by the people. A network where data is secured as opposed to hardware (computers).Tihis SAFE network shares principles with the father of the Web (TBL) in that apps you use access data you allow them to, they do not own the data any more, you do! This SAFE network is where you as a human decide to store and publish data and do so with no intermediary or fear of having data lost, corrupted. In this new web the network looks after your data. No companies, governments or individuals have any control over that. So your data is safe, secure and always available to you and anyone you decide to share it with.”

12 Likes

I wonder why the second point was redundant or confusing.

Does de-centralization of ownership of the functions necessarily require the protections of the second point? (I thought not, at least not for all functions, such as communications which could be in clear text but with guaranteed connectivity, yet de-centralized.)

Would unpermitted be less confusing than unintended?

The second point was meant to specifically require encryption of all communications (data in-flight) as well as stored information (data on disk), to ensure privacy and anonymity, as well as perhaps cryptographic proof of data integrity.