Content Creators: How to

So lets say I want to start a blog, vlog or podcast where would one host their website?

And how will domain names work?

Or is it far to early to even be asking these questions?

2 Likes

Never too early to ask. Getting answers may be another matter, though. :wink:

But that’s one I certainly have my sights on, as well.

1 Like

I don’t think we are quite there with the answers @goindeep, but perfectly reasonable questions to ask. All our technical resource is currently focussed on getting the current sprint complete, but as soon as we have some more details on hosting and the naming conventions used we’ll let everyone know.

2 Likes

I suppose we could get up and running with conventional methods like @fergish and then convert later right?

Yes of course (more text to get to 20 characters :slight_smile: )

There are some topics discussing websites on SAFE, including at least one in the FAQ category that includes some thoughts and links to other topics.

The podcast would probably be the easiest to pull off. Just set up a folder with your audio files in it, upload, then share said folder/files with your audience.

What is a blog? A blog is a web application in which you have text, pictures and video that you post to and people view. You could easily set one up as simple HTML and share it. The problem arises when you add scripts and such. I think what we used to use web applications for will need to be replaced by SAFE apps of one kind or another. Either that or some kind of new web language or web plugin to allow maidsafe to run php and other scripting languages. Maybe an app could be written to act as the PHP (or CGI or whatever. ) backend that would normally be run by the server side software. I mean one could UPLOAD a .php file with all the scripts and what not but it would have nothing to talk to more or less, hence the need for an app and perhaps some modifications of said scripts.

All that being said what are scripts used for? Basically to process data, make the building and customizing of websites easy (CMS systems, templates, themes, processing data, etc), forms, gather user data, transfering data in and out of a database and displaying it, all that kind of thing. Okay now think: We have our database, SAFE, and for all intents and purposes it’s local, well it’s not, but it acts more like a hard drive than it does like a server. So what if we used a local program to just reference files on safe and then display them as a “blog” or a “vlog” or a “podcast” or whatever else. In short what if we rethought this whole “web browser” thing entirely.

Picture this. Say instead of launching firefox to surf the “web” you fire up an app that interprets xml or python files that act like reference markers to shape how the “page” is supposed to look and where everything is supposed to go. This could even use html I suppose but the point is not to go to the html file itself but rather to use it as a reference point for the content it points to, kind of like how a css sheet acts as a reference point for all the styles in your webpage.

So it would look something like this.

"Title insert safelink to html that acts as a template for your site/blog/whatever

Sections would be for marked for each anchor in the HTML template, or whatever. Or might modify the language or WHATEVER to just be Use_Template. I’m making this up as I go.

insert safelink to your picture/text/video. So if your blog would have a block of text that would be stored in a text file that’s referenced. That way when you go to post a new blog post all you’re really doing is creating (or perhaps appending) a text file and having the app interpret that as seperate posts.

insert your section picture/text/video. Again you link to the files on your safe network. If you insert a pic it’s just a link to a pic and the app handles the rest.

Basically the idea is the app would 1. Generate the code as you moved things around and formatted things. 2. Spit out template files for you and recognize them if you wished to edit them manually. Allow you change the format of how you viewed the same files with easy without changing the files. Say you had a folder of audio files. One template could allow you to view them as a regular list of files, perhaps to even upload to or download from. Another template and few tweaks of code would turn that same list of files into a playable playlist or give you a link for a podcast. I doubt a safe podcast would be compatible with regular podcast systems, you’d need some kind of translator for that but all you really need is to play or download the files in order.

Anyway it’s late and I’m tired so I’m going to let you have what I’ve got of my idea so far. Feel free to ask questions. Peace.

That’s my thought. Also, SAFE Network will probably be an adjunct to the “regular web” (and vice versa) for some time to come, especially when you consider aggregating access through browses, like the firefox plug-in. That’s brilliant.

As the SAFE Network builds out, people will more and more be able to get what the need and want exclusively from SAFE. But that will take time to build out both the content and the apps to exploit it. In the meantime, being able to access it all through firefox (other browsers will likely not be far behind) will make the transmission smoother.

Also, it’s not necessarily a “battle of the webs”. They’ll move forward together for a long while, and who knows exactly what we’ll end up with as time goes on, in terms of integrating multiple platforms.

Thats a good point you touch on.

I think say if your hosting your site on the SAFE Network how would a google index spider crawl your site? Or wont it?

I certainly don’t know just now.

But I’m reminded that early on some people said that the internet would go nowhere because nobody would be able to find anything. That will be an opportunity on the SAFE network, just as google made it one on the www, rather than stopping at the problem.