Connecting to Maidsafe test networks and when operational the beta network

How can I connect to the networks?

2 Likes

In testnet3 there will be installers for you, maybe sooner. At the moment you would need to build it yourself which is pretty easy (instructions all on github)

3 Likes

Easiest is to wait for installer releases which should be coming out soon. If you can’t wait, you can dive in to build without installers: Build Instructions · maidsafe-archive/MaidSafe Wiki · GitHub
Beta launch is a couple to a few months away. No precise date, yet.

3 Likes

Since I believe there are many mind alike anticipating the impending progress in such an vital and important project, here is my precise interpretation of Paige’s estimates…

couple=2
Although the phrase a couple of has been well established in English since before the Renaissance, modern critics have sometimes maintained that a couple of is too inexact to be appropriate in formal writing. But the inexactitude of a couple of may serve a useful purpose, suggesting that the writer is indifferent to the precise number of items involved. Thus the sentence She lives only a couple of miles away implies not only that the distance is short but that its exact measure is unimportant. This usage should be considered unobjectionable on all levels of style.

few is imprecise, only defined as ‘more than one’:

quote:adj.

1. Amounting to or consisting of a small number: one of my few bad habits.
  2. Being more than one but indefinitely small in number: bowled a few strings.

n. (used with a pl. verb)

1. An indefinitely small number of persons or things: A few of the books have torn jackets.
  2. An exclusive or limited number: the discerning few; the fortunate few.

several:

quote:adj.

1. Being of a number more than two or three but not many: several miles away.
    2.-4. [deleted for brevity]

pron. (used with a pl. verb)
An indefinite but small number; some or a few: Several of the workers went home sick.

So, by these definitions, couple, few, and several could all mean two. Certainly not how I use it, or expect others to use it. (Also note that several is defined as “some or a few”!)

My rule of thumb has always been:

• a couple is exactly two
  • a few is three, rarely four
  • several is at least three but small, not exceeding five

Looking at beta launch around March or May 2015.

courtesy of questresolved

2 Likes

I always default to couple when meaning two, and few when meaning three, several meaning four or five, half a dozen for six (or maybe just say 6), 7 for seven, 8 for eight, etc.

1 Like

You two made me laugh. The geeks will inherit the earth… someone said that I’m sure, it’s happening. Yay!

1 Like