Conduct and language on this forum: family friendly please!

Unusually I’ve stepped in twice in a few days because of language or conduct on the forum, in both cases by long standing members of the forum to my surprise.

Please bear in mind this is a family friendly and inclusive forum, that we are an example to each other, that our conduct and words reflect on us as individuals and as a community: to new visitors and to many who read but don’t post, including schools and people from all backgrounds, ages and walks of life.

Here’s a reminder of two important extracts from the SAFE Network Forum Guidelines. If you haven’t read them in a while, please take a look. They are designed to reflect the values and goals of this community, so its important we all agree to them and that if we don’t, we work to change and improve them so they do.

###Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s
fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

Name-calling.Ad hominem attacks.Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

###Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider
offensive, abusive, or hate speech.Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even
the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself
how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the
New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions.
Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

16 Likes

Lol…I totally agree that nobody has an inherent right to “not be offended”, nevermind the fact that different things offend different people…However, the point being made is that it is not just adults that read the forum and therefore the forum moderators would like to keep the language “family friendly”.
This is more a matter or abiding by forum rules, which are aimed at producing informative, interesting civil discussions - it’s about conversational etiquette really. We are also in the “front window” of the Safe Network in effect and this is something forum moderators also have to consider I expect.
To be honest, as an adult, I personally find the excessive use of swearing to be rather juvenile anyway. :smiley:

2 Likes