Comparing 4 decentralized data storage offerings

10 Likes

They did their home work. Nice.

Unlike Filecoin and other decentralized storage options, the Safe Network does not use blockchain or any type of public ledger, making it easier to scale the network while eliminating the need to synchronize ledger data across nodes.

10 Likes

I haven’t seen this question yet. Is it possible for a “Safe Network farmer” to set up a sever-sized farm vs a personal computer to offer the Safe Network and maximize their SafeCoin?

1 Like

They could either set up a single node with lots of bandwidth, compute, and storage, or say virtualise a bunch of smaller nodes to farm. It would depend on the needs of the Network which would work out best, but I imagine they’d be able to tell pretty quickly and tune for best results.

1 Like

@RedPill22 Of course if you use datacentre computers then you have to factor in the extra cost of paying for them as opposed to home nodes

1 Like

Yes, the ROI had crossed my mind. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Personally I am going to have 1 or many SBC (single board computer) like a RPi, Odroid, etc to run the node and utilise my home connection. Cheaper than leaving on my large desktop 24/7. I will save money that way.

SBCs are like 2 to 10 watts of power compared to the 200-400 watts of the desktop.

5 Likes

My server setup (80TB NAS, 2 servers) runs about 400W on idle. Always on. I feel the pain. About due for a rebuild to some more power friendly hardware. Prices of hardware keeps going up instead of down right now though. Hard to find some decent options on a budget.

1 Like