Community Engagement Program v0.1

It may be a success in various ways, financially and some products may come from it, so I’m not necessarily saying you shouldn’t do it as described.

I’m just making a personal judgement call: it’s not a good use of my time to engage in what ostensibly is a technical competition but in practice is a popularity contest.

1 Like

Absolutely the right approach, There is nothing that is true until tried. The stepping stones get moved into place not by some ill conceived theory (as some support) but by experimentation. You are definitely on the right track.

4 Likes

Regarding a SAFE Network specific browser, creating that kind of application from scratch is a substantial undertaking, has any consideration been given to partnering with one of the projects that are currently building new (legacy web) browsers and asking them to create a SAFE specific version?

I’m thinking of projects like Vivalid or Brave for example, I would guess that modifying their existing code, that they know well, to be the SAFE browser would get a result much faster.

Assuming they would be willing to give some kind of guarantee for ongoing support, SAFE Network branding, etc, could this be an option?

5 Likes

I think a smart proposal (hint, hint) would look to incorporate and modify existing code. As you say it would lead to a much faster, but also lower cost and a better tested bit of code that potentially requires less ongoing maintenance. So I don’t think we necessarily need to partner with these projects, we just need proposal applicants to be able to understand and utilise the code of these projects.

6 Likes

IMHO, if the Maidsafe team shared your view, we would not be here today. Maidsafecoin is still way under valued compared to the arguably popular and over hyped Ethercoin.

As a non-technical person, I value the technical expertise you have brought to this project which I love so much. Please do not let your personal judgment descourage you from presenting the best proposal you can.

6 Likes

Nope, been there done that.

I’ll build things alright, that don’t require anyone’s permission to get going and will be useful enough that people will use them and where most of them won’t know the owner, that he’s terribly politically incorrect and might even euthanase autistics as a pastime. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nobody needs permission to build anything but being able to eat and have a life because you get some money to spend time on an app or a core project might trigger people to try this out instead of spending their time on anything else.

I think everybody has heard your point about Maidsafe funding marketing about 5 times now and we heard you loud and clear :slight_smile: I got the feeling we’re going there again now with your opinion about this program.

You might be right about people voting for people they like for example but I think that underestimates the community’s capabilities very much, we’re not all five years old anymore. Like @nicklambert said: “Let’s try it out” and not kill the approach immediately because you ‘foresee’ things.

P.S. using autistcs to make your point is very low but it triggered me to respond to you so :+1:

4 Likes

I too have been working on this. I personally won’t be proposing as part of the CEP, but it is something I am working on.

My idea is basically a non-HTTP browser. Essentially it is read only which means you can use all the JS you want because the protocols that phone home to remove your anonymity (HTTP, websockets, webrtc, etc) are removed. Then I will expose a JS API to every “webpage” that will allow them to use the mutation (or client side read) features of safenet. But the user will have to explicitly opt in to allow this API to be used (very similar to how a page asks to use your location today, but much more narrowly scoped permissions like oauth scopes).

I am not really making it a high priority (I have a day job and can’t prioritize it and so I would not be the best for a proposal) and the safe API has BC incompat breakages coming. My first go on it is here and I had abandoned it for a while until this issue got fixed and was just released in 1.2.3. I think I’ll implement the IPFS protocol first because js-ipfs is finally ready even though anonymity isn’t natively provided in the protocol (some anonymity is given though because you can’t be tracked and phoned home per se). I would be happy to share details of my plans (probably best as another thread), and I have absolutely no problem with someone copying the exact idea for purposes of a proposal here and running with it (I want the app to exist, I don’t care how).

11 Likes

EDIT: Lol taken back.

Lame joke already made above.

Was too caught up in reading OP 3 times to notice :stuck_out_tongue:

This is amazing and I will assist where possible, if only by getting the word out to more developers!

1 Like

You have my vote David, lets get on with it Devs.

Cant wait to see some of the specifications for this and I should imagine it will need a press release to get the message out there.

Worlds first Safe browser competition!

3 Likes

Are we looking towards the next CEP soon? Is the messaging one being replaced with the new email one?

3 Likes

Nice bump, I think we do need to progress CEP II. I wonder if a vote on the next core app/service that is required?

7 Likes

My vote is messaging, if it’s not being covered by the newly released email services. Just sounds the most interesting right now :slight_smile:

If it is, then the core payments systems sound pretty important, and would be my plan b vote

2 Likes

might as well make use of everybody out there :slight_smile:

any quiet devs around, looking to pop up and work on a CEP

During the last few weeks I was and am seriously considering to ramp up on dev tools for SAFE and getting more involved, and I just found out about the CEP which I find it very interesting. Is the process described above still the one to be used for next CEP?

8 Likes

Yes it is. It would be great to have you more involved!

7 Likes

I think a central place (Website/APP) where supporters can see what features/apps are being proposed by various community developers and get a gestalt on the level of support and where they are at in development; as well as having transparent voting (Currently with MAID) mechanism built in.

@chadrickm any ideas on how to solve this “problem” or need?

Maybe add more content to this page: https://apps.safenetwork.org/ ?

4 Likes