Comments on Safe Network App (SNAPP)

SNAPP placed an activated entry in “Startup Applications”, meaning it should start on reboot, but SNAPP doesn’t do that. The command in the settings is
/tmp/.mount_safe-nbdkzpu/safe-network-app
which doesn’t seem right.

I currently have several different SAFE related directories in ~/.config as well as .safe directory in ~/. (Some may be old and deprecated. Are they?) I’m not sure this is a good place for installing SAFE related stuff. But even if it is, wouldn’t it be better to have just one SAFE directory under ~/.config, and have the others as sub-directories of that?

It would be good to have SNAPP as an entry in the application menu under e.g. “Internet”.

My system is Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2.

On Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE 3) I’m not able to install SNAPP. I believe this is related to what @JPL describes here:

but the solution he suggests doesn’t work for me. Could SNAPP be packaged with all required dependencies?

8 Likes

Hey @Sascha, thanks for the feedback so far!

Yeh, re: startup that’s sadly not fully implemented yet. We started the implementation, but didn’t get it sorted for this release. You can track it here: https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-network-app/issues/149

The many safe directories is a good shout. We should streamline this across all the apps. :+1: I’ve brought this up internally just now.

On linux the integration with the system is pending. @Karamu brought up this very thing just yesterday actually :+1:

What errors are you getting with install @Sascha ? Right now snapp doesn’t use safe_auth or safe_cli, so it won’t be that issue.

6 Likes

This is on LMDE 3:

sascha@librem_15_lmde:~/Downloads$ ./safe-network-app-v0.0.3-linux-x64.AppImage [2263:1011/092121.121191:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_safe-nb15wpG/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
    Trace/breakpoint trap
1 Like

Small point but worth noting that people may confuse Linux Gnome snap with SNAPP.

3 Likes

There. Fixed that in the heading.

1 Like

The name of the app is the SAFE Network App. I’m personally trying to encourage folk not to call it SNAPP, but I can see why we end up doing it here and in internal MaidSafe comms, as it’s fast.

Lord knows we don’t need any more acronyms!

But most folks won’t need to talk about with anything like the frequency we will, so SAFE Network App should be fine.

8 Likes

I think it’s sufficiently well disambiguated for it not to be a problem, especially with the extra ‘p’.

2 Likes

We could even and another P to it, just to make it really clear :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think you may be underestimating the ability of people to confuse things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:t3: Lol, I have been totally pushing it cause I think it’s so catchy simply as a name, although Snapchat is sometimes referred to as snap so maybe would end up being confusing anyhow. Apologies.

4 Likes

Oh, no worries. I’m not the language police :policeman:

It’s really just to keep the name and brand recognition up, and keep the thing searchable.

“Have you tried the Safe Network? Just go and download the app!”

<searches app store for Safe Network>

etc.

7 Likes

Good reasoning and I’m convinced :+1:

6 Likes

Is anybody able to repeat this? Is it a bug?