Chrono Cryptocurrency App

I think it might in theory be possible to create an anonymous id from a non-anonymous id. First you’d create the public non-anonymous id from a central registry, basically creating a decentralized version of the central registry, or maybe via web of trust. All public keys would be stored in a decentralized register of non-anonymous public keys.

Then you have a public non-anonymous id that consists of a public/private keypair. Can you then create a new id, i.e. a new public/private keypair, from the non-anonymous keypair, that would have the property that each non-anonymous private key could be used to create one and only one new private key, which couldn’t be linked back to the other key? Sounds like a hash function doesn’t it.

If you hash your private key, you would have achieved one of these, getting a new private key that can’t be linked to the private key used to generate it, and this new private key could again be used to generate a public key.

The second property is the more tricky one. How can I verify that your new public key corresponds to one, and only one, of the keys in the set of known non-anonymous public keys, without being able to figure out which one?

Not sure how to solve the second part, but I’m sure there is some clever way to do it.

Of course there would be lots of issues to make this work, like ways to protect against timing attacks to prevent ids being linked, ways to revoke an id and create a new one in case someone managed to link the id to a person etc. Tricky issues, but I don’t think they’re insolvable, though it could be that some parts might require things that are not yet really feasible, like fully homomorphic encryption.

Still involves a central registry that knows you are setting up a anonymous ID. Seems like you just lost a real layer of anonymity there.

Anyhow we need to take this back to that topic on unique human, which of course the central registry won’t be good enough. There is no central registry anywhere good enough now and so the results won’t give you unique human. The mafia and organisied crime thrive on this sort of forgery

The central registry wouldn’t know that your are setting up an anonymous id. They would only know you are setting up a decentralized id. Nobody would know who of those with a public non-anonymous decentralized id went one step further and created an anonymous id. That’s kinda the point of the system, make it so that an anonymous id can be created without it being possible to link it back to the non-anonymous id. There would be a set of for example 1000 non-anonymous ids, then 100 of these choose to create an anonymous id, but nobody would know which 100 of the 1000 who created an anonymous id.

If you’re talking about the entire human population, then no, there’s no central registry anywhere good enough and parts of the world are unlikely to get that in the near future. For a global system, I think a web of trust is something could work, maybe combined with some kind of biometrics to make it more difficult to create multiple identities and strong disincentives for cheating and having automated systems for detecting potential cheaters who create multiple identities, combined with making it easy to report suspected cheaters. Just like people could vote on other people as trusted with mobile app, they could also vote on people as cheaters or as someone who voted fake. This would need to be public and non-anonymous, maybe votes could be made anonymous though.

https://www.idensys.nl/idensys-voor-organisaties/

Now all I have to do is hope they won’t charge me for this. Or at least not too much.

There’s also this

https://www.evry.com/en/news/articles/psd2-the-directive-that-will-change-banking-as-we-know-it/

I came to think of how it will be difficult to make transactions anonymous with an ID system like that. With proof of work, wallets can be created with their own private/public key pairs which will make the transactions anonymous.

Does this fit the bill of what you are talking about https://chronologic.network/

Hmm… Wow, that looks really interesting. Their currency is called DAY Token, or DAY for short. Whew! I was afraid they had called it Chrono. :smiley: The name of their platform is Chronos, fortunately it’s still a different brand than Chrono.

Looks like a way more ambitious project than my simple approach. I even plan to skip using system clocks in the first version of Chrono to make it really simple.

I will take a look at their whitepaper.

I have now looked at ChronoLogic some more and they use what they call proof-of-time, which sounds like a great concept I think, BUT their approach seems horribly complicated and they use Ethereum as a platform which I have doubts about.

I got really frustrated with my own project because I couldn’t get my proof-of-time concept to work without a digital ID system for users. And proof-of-work sucks because users will burn up their computing resources. Maybe SAFE’s ID system for user accounts will be good enough, we will see. Anyway here is a short presentation of ChronoLogic (notice how vague the presentation is about how their proof-of-time actually works):