China to crack down on censor-busting services

The nation’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has announced plans to “clean up” unauthorised internet connections.

The 14-month campaign will target the virtual private networks (VPNs) and dedicated lines many use to go online.

All these types of service must be officially vetted to keep operating, said the Ministry.

In its notice, the Ministry said China’s net connection market was “disordered” and needed regulating.

:palm_tree:

2 Likes

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware something is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread the information is increased.[1

4 Likes

But on the other hand: China wants to invest a lot in ‘internet technology’.
It is still vague what exactly they want to invest in, but I think that with too much censoring that investment won’t be efficient. But what do I know.

2 Likes

cough the mods want a comment on how SAFE network could offer a solution to this problem… “Otherwise it will end up in offtopic.”

think, damnit, think

I shall go out on a limb and suggest… If SAFE, then problem solved.

I think it’s on topic… it’s obviously an illustration of a simple case - which is not the same as a zero answer.

Such state sponsored authorising as OP should be replaced with tools that empower individuals and SAFE well placed for that. We just have to be mindful what others are faced off against and ensure that SAFE is seen to be for Everyone and that it’s not then limited in China.

2 Likes

Is it possible for China to block all data that’s encrypted and successfully block Safe network traffic?

I’m wondering what chance Safe has in the medium term against the great firewall and any steps the Chinese government could take to stop people accessible Safe network data?

1 Like

Yes, any topic in Cybersecurity that is NOT related to SAFE gets moved. The reason being that we could put anywhere between 10 to 1000 topics a day/week in Cybersecurity since SAFE will solve ever so many of the current internet related security issues.

Also if topics do not follow the category guidelines then why should they exist in that category?

So any topic in Cybersecurity should be BOTH a cybersecurity issue AND showing how SAFE can help.

Any topic without starting off the discussion with how SAFE can help is fodder for offtopic .

3 Likes