Can we please get an accurate roadmap to launch?

Seems like this is effort demanded of the developers by spectators, none of which effort will make the developers job any easier in the short term and will not create any code nor find any bugs.

If it is that important to you, why not trawl github then generate and share your own status report on what appears to be outstanding? I am sure such work would be welcomed, especially by those who are having doubts right now.

But for me at this time, I want every developer nose down, arse up searching for and squashing bugs, not distracted by generating reports in JIRA ā† An excellent tool in the right place but proven to be unsuited for this small team working on unknown territory.

9 Likes

Nose down arse up is not innovation, or a roadmap to launch itā€™s a sweat shop

its a sweat shop to find the existing bugs in the highly innovative project - whats your problem with that?

ā€œProfessionalā€ project management ā€œsolutionsā€ do not fit everywhere, despite what the project manager class would like to think. And I dont mean that personally, please dont take it that way.
One size does NOT fit all, especially out on the bleeding edge.

To have a meaningful map, a thorough survey of the existing terrain is required. Problem is nobody has yet surveyed this terrain - ever, so finding a route through has to be done without a map.

Absolutely nothing is stopping you collating the present progress (or perceived lack thereof) and presenting your own thoughts as to the required next steps - and this is again work that I think many would thank you for. But it has to be your own work for now cos the devs are busy.

10 Likes

When the Maidsafe Jira project was in operation previously it was pretty easy to check progress/status etc. Iā€™m not sure why Jira was abandoned (or maybe I just have the public access) however whatever works best for the team. I donā€™t think it would be too much effort to reboot the Jira project even if it was a bug only project that would still be a bit more user/community friendly than the current comms, giving more real time insight and this would be of benefit to the dev team too

1 Like

Are you offering your services as a JIRA consultant? - unpaid, of courseā€¦

If not, please detail exactly which developers should be diverted from bug-hunting and code optimisation onto this bureaucratic management wankfest. *

How many times do we need to stress this? ā€“ there is NO fat in the team, All are active developers aside from one finance guy and Jim Collinson and Heather Burns who have more than enough on their plate right now with setting up the Swiss foundation and other ā€œlegalā€ issues.

JIRA was used for several years and eventually rejected because it no longer served a useful purpose for the team.

Dive in but do not be too surprised if there is nobody available to answer your inevitable queries because theyare too busy bug-hunting.

• OK maybe thats a bit robust ā€¦ JIRA is a very fine tool ā€” in the right place. The team has proved over several years that this is not the right place for it.
3 Likes

19 october 2022 - number of issues

1 Like

safenetwork.tech is just the website repo
sn_browser currently not necessary to establish a running network, just a later gui interface to interact but not critical at the moment for development

You probably want to follow:
safe_network
sn_consensus
sn_dbc
crdt_tree

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, a clear list of bugs would be good to see.

20% of the effort (ideally, our highest priority actions) will deliver 80% of the results we seek.

Is there a Monthly/Weekly/Daily call ā€œTeams/Slack/etcā€ with the team, the community could join?

2 Likes

There are weekly dev updates which often include which devs are focusing on what. Last weekā€™s update was literally full with it. And for the detailed technical stuff I donā€™t think itā€™s worth sharing since there are many moving parts and much more productive for MaidSafe to focus on development than making detailed reports which can frequently change on the needs of the code.

3 Likes

I think there should be a business update meeting via Teams monthly and a weekly teams meeting with the dev team where the dev team can demo their work to the community.

Everyone can join and ask questions, the chat rooms are not working

Exactly.

What I have learned following the project is that the development is not a straight track with obstacles. Itā€™s rather a branching path with obstacles, and you never know what kind of obstacles and branches lie ahead. I donā€™t think there is a point in trying to make a map of the unknown. Itā€™s like trees donā€™t have maps according to which they would organize their branches. They follow a set of functions and goals and organize whichever way is needed in their place. Itā€™s roughly similar here.

6 Likes

A weekly Teams call/demo to the community would be beneficial for Dev and the wider community and I believe would useful to all. We are all stakeholders and want the best for the project, use the resource

If theyre answering our questions they are not coding.

It could turn a 1 hr meeting for them where they need to discuss certain things into a 2 hr meeting where they dont get to discuss half of what they need to.

The team is very busy, i just dont think there is the spare time for this.

We get weekly updates, thats already far more than many projects do.

If you want specific things answered, ask here, they will often be answered.

5 Likes

Will the dev team give a weekly update/demo via Teams to the community?

Will the business give a monthly update/demo via Teams to the community?

I cant answer for them, but as ive just said, i doubt theres time.
Things answered here are in personal time i imagine.

As for a demo, bug hunting doesnt produce anything to demo often, and when it does we have community testnets so you can tinker with it all you want in person.

3 Likes

I think what everyone is saying is we have no time to switch on the lights as weā€™re all busy running around in the dark.

You can interpret it as you wish, but they are your words and thoughts not the ones i see being expressed.

What do you want demod?
They are mainly busy working on core functionality , theres nothing pretty to look at, quashed bugs make everything work better ( hopefully ),until thats done all that can be shown in what you can see yourself by participating in community testnets, the code is all there for you to play with if your so inclined.

2 Likes

Demo of work completed, bugs fixed, new functionality etc. Any issues or new bugs, also the tesnet users could contribute their own findings itā€™s a two way street

Talk and demo rather than chat