Can Someone Give the Breakdown on Rust Code Improvements?

…and much easier to read. It’s (almost) as readable as Python IMO. I remember @dirvine said that it would be useless to release the SAFE Network as FOSS if no one could comprehend the codebase!

As a side note a factor of readability is the sheer lines of code. I remember that when they chose to refactor in Rust, they were around 1 million lines of C++ code. (~196 thousand IIRC) Right now they’re probably at about 15-20 thousand (probably; as the last verified count that I read about was ~2 months ago at 11 thousand)

I’ve mentioned before that I was at FOSSCON this year when Eric S. Raymond gave an AMA, and I remember him saying that he was “very interested in seeing how the Rust language evolves” and that he “was cautiously optimistic that this could be the C++ replacement that we so very desperately need”. Specifically that Rust “implemented rational rules and restrictions for code security especially when it came to memory security without creating artificial limitations”. Big words from a big name in the FOSS space.

6 Likes