Can Safecoin be bought with Dollars, Euro's etc. at the launch?

You don’t need Ethereum-like contracts because Safecoin already handles the work <=> Safecoin part.

You just need a distributed exchange for the Safecoin <==> otherStuff part.
Those exist today and work fine.
Example: Storj.io tokens (SJCX) are traded on a distributed exchange.

Yes, offcourse you’re right. Forgot about that for a second :smile:

But what will be the solution to get dollars for your safecoin ?

I get your point, you need “the last mile” solution for money, to convert whatever token you have into your local fiat, an “out gateway” of sorts.

My thinking about that part is:
a) There are dozens of them and all work more or less the same way (“coin2fiat piping”, basically - you setup a fait account and you get assigned an address (mostly bitcoin, but can be any) and then you just send bitcoin to that address, they instantly trade it for fiat at one of their partner exchanges and put the money on your account).
I don’t see how does reinventing that simple process with some Maidsafe spin add value, but maybe I’m wrong.
b) I don’t think that any of these gateways will allow you to not declare those bitcoins as your income.

Considering that my own preference would be to either stay in cryptocurrency (save it or spend it without going to fiat), or use OTC or some other method to sell my tokens for fiat.
There are ideas (there’s a topic about “dream app” on this forum) to implement one of those barter apps on top of Safecoin, so if that becomes reality you could use those to sell tokens for fiat. That would allow you to buy and sell Safecoin for fiat without dealing with the government, although it’s so much easier to buy some bitcoins from a friend and with them buy Maidsafe coins on MasterExchange.

This is where there will be lots of options, informal, localbitcoins, bitpay, Ripple/Stellar are models that will no doubt be adapted for Safecoin when it takes off. For now we either earn it directly or go via Bitcoin until those solutions arrive for Safecoin.

This concerns me slightly in that one of the partner exchanges might be registered with the government and compromising your anonymity.

That’s exactly why I’m against them.
All crypto-exchanges that serve as the gateway from/to fiat have to be registered with the government to tax, but also to annoy, harass, intimidate, destroy the value proposition of alternatives, etc.

Storj.io/SJCX is traded on a distributed exchange today, and there’s no need to even register an email. The only (dis)advantage (depending on one’s viewpoint) is that it’s not denominated in fiat.

1 Like

I think maidsafe will tip the balance of cryptocurrency because it’ll give real value to a cryptocurrency (safecoin) and therefore the cryptocurrencies that are traded for it. Even if people can’t relate to bitcoin or safecoin they can relate to space on their hard drive, freedom and privacy and because of that they’ll trade their skills and time for that via safecoin and other cryptocurrencies. When people start using crypto more than fiat fiat will start losing value.

2 Likes