Can "reply as new topic" evolve into a form of de-centralised moderation?

I agree, not in every case @philip_rhoades, sometimes its best just not to reply at all. We need to ask, is this really adding to the thread? Same with questions - ask a question and someone feels obliged to reply - is this question important, or just a reaction? Another alternative is a PM.

Its just that a high proportion of topics are getting thrown off by flurries of chatter that are of little value or interest, or would best be in a new topic so they can be explored too.

I don’t think there’s a perfect answer. As mods we try to see what’s happening and suggest improvements. It is ultimately up to individual members what they do (and I include me in that as always - no mod is just a mod here :smile: ).

The problem is a good one.

I tried to split my tangent last night, but it was kinda already too late, and made for a messy transition.

The fact that people are thinking and that is causing them to think of other things is a very good problem to have. People are thinking about SAFE, and they are exploring the possibilities in their minds, and it is beginning to grow… Moderation of this kind of thing ought to be done very carefully, as it IS productive, even if it is only a minor subpoint to the original topic.

1 Like

Point well taken @happybeing. Sometimes I may be tempted to chime in, but end up clicking the :heart: since it conveys the same thing, so I will try to do that and limit my temptation to chatter without adding new value.

One question: Is there a process for locking a thread after its been thoroughly hashed out, and can sort of mark it as “answered”? People could always create a new or side-topic to discuss a sub-topic or other variation of the locked topic. It would be an option to consider if there is a mile-long thread going in circles.

1 Like